PDA

View Full Version : C.E.L. came on out of nowhere

Ty's Si
03-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Someone lend some insights here.

Last night I was driving home when my CEL came on. I pulled over, checked the gas cap and it was tight. Checked the oil level and it was at the bottom of the dipstick so I filled it up a bit. I retightened the oil cap real well. Restarted engine, CEL still on.

Now I don't have aftermarket exhaust or anything. Just CAI, a grounding kit and a Mugen oil cap. I am due for a 50K maintenance visit to Honda. However, that shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Anyone know why this might have happened and if I should take it to Honda or just try resetting the ECU?

What could have happened during my drive (down I-95) that would have tripped the CEL?

darkvibe
03-27-2004, 04:01 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~rsxmachine/CEL/

Ty's Si
03-27-2004, 04:09 PM
So this will work for the EP also in reference to using a jumper wire and the location of the data link connector?

Adubb
03-27-2004, 04:20 PM
sounds kinda risky to me.. my luck.. i'd do that.. and shit would start sparking and cause more damage.. but i'd say take it to a local high school, or college.. and have the auto mech. shops do a diagnostic on it.. it's free! and gives them experience!!!

ep3sucks
03-27-2004, 04:20 PM
maybe your engine's burning oil.
i'm not sure, but mine was like that, and it will go off the next day,
but i had to add oil constantly whenever i pushed it hard and blah blah blah.
i don't know what causes it, but i don't get that anymore.
as soon as the light comes on, it wouldn't let me rev over 4k either.
but again, the next day everything was fine.
keep adding oil, 'til it stops doing that.

trust me. i know your not dumb enough to not have the cap tighten enough.
stop twisting your cap. it's dah oil

Ty's Si
03-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Bump.

86 views and only 2 people can chime in here?

I can't possibly be the only one this has happened to. Car runs fine, revs theroughout the powerband, temp is normal, idle is normal.

WTF? Somebody help me please.

Ty's Si
03-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Don't mean to whore my own thread here, but I need help. Now I'm even more confused. I ran the test using the jump wire and got back a code reading of 76. That number isn't listed on the index sheet located here: http://home.comcast.net/~rsxmachine/CEL/dtc.html

Any ideas? Should I reset the ECU and see if the problem comes back? If it's the same problem and the CEL comes on again, the code should reappear correct?

02SiFoLife
03-28-2004, 05:14 PM
check your vaccum lines from your intake and make sure they are all tight and add oil if u need to. The cel has to do with emisions so its probably something with your intake.
Just check the lines on your intake and disconnect the negative terminal of your battery. Then hookup everything again and see if it comes back on.

DavidT
03-28-2004, 05:24 PM
What you need to do is hook an OBD II scanner up to your car and see what code the CEL is throwing. That's the only and best way to safely diagnose your car. Places like Jiffy Lube or Autozone or whatnot can do it for like $20 or less. The code will narrow down your CEL problem ;) Good luck.

andy
03-29-2004, 09:12 AM
You could have called me, then I would have beat your CEL down with
my X-brace. :yellm: :mad: :p

Haha, nah Tyson, do what DavidL said - don't reset your ECU. Stop
by an Autozone or someplace and have them scan your code (iirc, Autozone
does it for free). Get the full code (maybe the one you got via the
paper clip wasn't right?) and then I think you can look it up on a
Helms (someone correct me if I'm wrong) or we can search online for
it (or worst case, call a Honda tech).

My guess is that you either left the gas cap off slightly, or maybe
had some bad gas and got a slight misfire. Once, in my WRX, I drove
for like 10+ mins in 3rd gear (oops, forgot to shift) and the CEL
came on while on 95. I pulled over, reset the ECU and it was fine.
But you should at least find out what the code/cause is before you
do that.

EDIT: Is it possible your "76" code was one of these two:
41 P1167 11-99 Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Sensor 1) Heater System Malfunction

106 P1077 11-172 Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) System Malfunction (Low rpm)