PDA

View Full Version : Vtec controller

Adubb
03-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Hey, I was wondering.. since our cars are "I" vtec.. can we still use the vtec controllers? cuz i heard these things are pretty bad ass.. but i never used/seen one...

How do they work? anyone have/had these?

thanks
adam

Si4U2NV
03-27-2004, 03:47 PM
since our cars are i-vtec, we have to use the second generation controllers, VAFC II... (VAFCs wont work on our cars)

i know of at LEAST two people on ephatch that have em installed, aRz and VIZHUNZ

hope this helps...

-Mike

EDIT: Heres a link... (its in japanese tho) http://www.apexi.co.jp/products/electronics/v-afcII.html

Adubb
03-27-2004, 04:11 PM
ahh i c.. thanks alot for the info!

lol.. by the way.. i'm not fluent in japanese.. LOL.. :D

can someone give me the rundown on what vtec controllers do and how u use them?

thanks
Adam

Tenacious G
03-27-2004, 04:37 PM
if you really *need* to tune your A/F ratios, just get the SAFC. the VAFC's ability to change the VTEC x-over is useless because of the K20A3's version of VTEC. essentially, if you didn't know, under 2200 rpms, only one intake valve opens. this helps low rpm and idling emissions.

don't get one because you "heard it's bad ass". get one if you really need to tweak A/F (i.e. boosted applications).

the JigGa mAn
03-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
if you really *need* to tune your A/F ratios, just get the SAFC. the VAFC's ability to change the VTEC x-over is useless because of the K20A3's version of VTEC. essentially, if you didn't know, under 2200 rpms, only one intake valve opens. this helps low rpm and idling emissions.

don't get one because you "heard it's bad ass". get one if you really need to tweak A/F (i.e. boosted applications).

yeah what he said...if you really wanna play around with vtec engagement point and what not you might wanna invest in either K20A2 or K20A head swaps or motors...like tenacious G said you wanna play with the a/f in which case youd wanna pick up the SAFC II unless you plan to do a head swap or motor swap later in the future then buy the V-AFC II but dont play with vtec stuff

Peking
03-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Moved to engine and good info folks :)

03EP3Si
03-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Im definately looking into the SAFC, im looking for little things here and there to boost my WHP to 160im at 154 right now but that was dynoed in Humid ass weather, so i dunno what the actually numbers would be on a cooler non humid day. Is this SAFC worth it to tune my fuel curve enough to push me over 160? thanks! UNO!

Adubb
03-29-2004, 12:48 PM
(i.e. boosted applications).

Allright.. mabye i misunderstood you.. but u said boosted applications.. i thought the vtec controller was for N/A cars.. if i wanted to get something for boosted applications... wouldnt i just get a boost controller?

can someone just tell me how they work please? so i can fully understand the vtec controller? thanks

Adam

03EP3Si
03-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Well you would need alittle more than a boost controller, so now you have VAFC - Vtec Air fuel controller, then you have SAFC super air fuel controller, one is for vtec obviously and the other one is for non vtec. you can use them with boosted cars because once you boost higher on a car it is possible that you will begin to run lean so you hook up one of these babies and you control how much fuel your engine will dump. boosted cars usually need more fuel dumped in to compensate for the alot of extra air being forced in due to the car being boosted. if you dont compensate for the extra air being forced in the car will run lean. i hope this helps you out alittle.

Adubb
03-29-2004, 01:59 PM
yea.. that helps.. so would u say that it would be pointless to get one for my car? (N/A EP)

03EP3Si
03-29-2004, 06:02 PM
nah not pointless , you will be able to squeeze out a few horses out of it. im gettin it also i need to make a few more horses so i can brake that 160 barrier. i also just ordered the hondata intake manifold gasket so that will help also. but anyway no it is not poitless it will help you gain some ponies. i read it somewhere before not positive where but adding about 6-8 percent more fuel to our air/fuel mixture is good, supposedly our car responds well to that. someone correct me if im wrong!

Tenacious G
03-29-2004, 09:23 PM
again, being able to change the VTEC x-over won't do you any good. if you raise it, you're making your engine run on 12 valves intead of 16 longer (read super econo-mode).

just get the SAFC.

03EP3Si
03-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Would a greddy emanage be better than the SAFC?

Tenacious G
03-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by 03EP3Si
Would a greddy emanage be better than the SAFC?

i'm not all that familiar with greddy's e-manage unit. i thought that was just for turbos.

03EP3Si
03-30-2004, 07:44 AM
your the third person who said that lol, including my mechanic! lol ok im gonna get the SAFC any one know whos got this for a good price under 300?

the JigGa mAn
03-30-2004, 11:11 AM
i'm not all that familiar with greddy's e-manage unit. i thought that was just for turbos.
thats what i thought