PDA

View Full Version : Linking Sqeaky Clutch to Grinding Gears

Argo
03-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a lurker, but I figure for this I would come out as I am really curious. I own a 2002 SI (SIR) and had a bit of the 2nd gear crunch that some of you reported. Recently, I just had my clutch master cylinder replaced after some serious clicking noises kicked in. Now the car runs smoother, and seems a bit peppier.

After doing a bit of research online, it seems that a flaw with this would cause the gear crunch as the clutch wouldn't properly engage/disengage, and would change engagement points. Could this be it? Could someone more mechanically knowledgeable than I shed some light on this? A cylinder leak or some other flaw that is common with 2002 (maybe 03) SI's?

Bificus
03-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Bad clutch hydraulics means crunchy gears. Mines going in for a second visit and to a second dealer. I hate that a cheap part could be causing huge damage.

Bificus
03-30-2004, 05:57 PM
They didn't quite blow me off as they did last time, I did get the nothing wrong speach but notice a few things were different this afternoon. :confusem: So upon picking the car up I had to buzz back to work immediately. On the ride home which is about 20- 30 minutes I began noticing the shifting is much more accurate which means they tightened the linkage up for sure. The next thing I notice was I had complained at my previous visit that the engine felt loose like I had popped a motor mount. All gone now. :confused: Its better but maybe I should give it a few more miles.

Argo
03-30-2004, 06:59 PM
It has been four days now and the car is smoother than it has ever been. There is no more grinding of gears, no problems getting it into gear. It's a new car! I would highly recommend getting the hydraulics in your clutch looked at if you are experiencing a creaky clutch, grinding gears etc. Really a shame Honda put out parts like that, or maybe an assembler doing a bad job.

Bificus, good luck! I complained about the crunchy gear just to get it noted on file, but of course they couldn't replicate the problem. I find it unreal that they couldn't have found this earlier. I think I've had this problem since day one.

Interestingly, they claimed seized bolts to make the warranty claim worthwhile. They said otherwise they lose money on it.

Siman
03-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Bificus
They didn't quite blow me off as they did last time, I did get the nothing wrong speach but notice a few things were different this afternoon. :confusem: So upon picking the car up I had to buzz back to work immediately. On the ride home which is about 20- 30 minutes I began noticing the shifting is much more accurate which means they tightened the linkage up for sure. The next thing I notice was I had complained at my previous visit that the engine felt loose like I had popped a motor mount. All gone now. :confused: Its better but maybe I should give it a few more miles.

I think one of my motor mounts is shot too! Every time i shift a tad bit hard ( hehehh) it makes a HUGE popping noise in the front..and it does the same under hard breaking! Should I get the ES motor mount inserts? would this solve it?:confused:

STP03BlueSI
03-31-2004, 06:50 AM
Damn I wish my dealerships(yes 2 dealerships) would fix the clutch/grinding.:o

Bificus
03-31-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Siman
I think one of my motor mounts is shot too! Every time i shift a tad bit hard ( hehehh) it makes a HUGE popping noise in the front..and it does the same under hard breaking! Should I get the ES motor mount inserts? would this solve it?:confused:

A lot of people on here have put in the inserts when they have a partially torn mount. I dunno, I guess in my case I would get a replacement set as I would have 2 hours of work and realise its torn worse than I thought. Here is some folks were saying:
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33966
I hope that helps.

bao_pay
03-31-2004, 03:07 PM
is it expensive to replace the clutch master cylinder? I'm going to get a tranny flush anyways and I'm gonna tell them to tighten the shift linkage too... I'm pretty sure my honda dealer won't do a thing for me under waranty so I'll probably have to pay for it... so if its cheap then i'll look into it.