PDA

View Full Version : AEM CAI Kicks Ass

fASTBACK
10-07-2002, 10:21 PM
I just installed my AEM CAI on friday and it kicks ass. I noticed a BIG ASS improvement through out my power range. My third gear sucked before but now it is awesome. The car totally PICKS Up in all the gears!! The throttle response is awesome!! It revs a whole lot quicker. I never squealed my tires like this before on my Ep and the tires are new. I had an AEM CAI before on my JRSC SOHC ex but his is my first time on a DOHC. My ep accelerates a whole lot quicker. The improved torque is amazing. The sound of the engine at 4500 and all the way up to redline is CRAZY!!! Its no 13 sec. modification or anything but it is the single most best aftermarket thing to buy for your car. I recommend this to everybody. It is worth the PRICE. I got mine for $230. AEM CAI IS THE BEST.

Mr.02BlackSIguY
10-07-2002, 10:40 PM
haha sounds nice. im still saving for an intake and hopfully i get that same thrilled as u got from ur Cold Air.

HK_EP3
10-08-2002, 12:04 AM
haha... im glad to hear that u r that pumped about it :). did u install it urself?

02blksi
10-08-2002, 12:01 PM
how hard was the install?? IM going to get a AEM CAI after reading the "great intake" shoot out in the latest Honda tuning mag ! I couldnt believe my eyes when they tested the CAI on a rsx-s --(20.7 whp and 19.6 ftlbs increase over stock) BUY the mag there is to much to right about, they did a very thourogh CONTROLLED test on all major intakes , KN typhoon, DC sports DAC and CAI, KN drop in filter, STOCK intake, INJEN sri and cai.. etc... GREAT article a must read for the k series engine tuner!!--joe

btw:
i heard that for the CAI install you must relocate the winshield fluid resevoir to the other side of the engine compartment in order for the CAI to fit properly (is this true?) ..-

DynaSpeed
10-08-2002, 12:15 PM
i heard that for the CAI install you must relocate the winshield fluid resevoir to the other side of the engine compartment in order for the CAI to fit properly I know for the RSX you need to relocate the reservoir. The people that have done it says it's a major pain in the ass.

jaydub
10-08-2002, 12:16 PM
I can't wait to put my AEM CAI on. I've got a buddy who works in R&D at AEM, I'll have him help me install it. :D

PoRT
10-08-2002, 12:17 PM
on my AEM the only thing i relocated was the ground wire for the battery, but you dont even need to do that. all you have to do is bend it toward the radiator. i opted to take the whole bracket off.

02blksi
10-08-2002, 12:33 PM
does anyone know if the rsx CAI setup will fit our ep's?? thanks --joe

smokincivic
10-08-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by PoRT
on my AEM the only thing i relocated was the ground wire for the battery, but you dont even need to do that. all you have to do is bend it toward the radiator. i opted to take the whole bracket off.

Ya no relocations here except removing that little clip, relocated the ground wire for that clip to a nearby bolt, the instruction on this site were a big help the only thing I would have added is the exact spot where you put the FILTER itself, even with insturction it took me a good 30 minutes to figure out that you have to pull back on the plastic wheel well wall to expose where the FILTER is going to go, had I known that it would have been a 30 minute install rather than a full hour WICKED EASY

DrPimpSiR
10-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
how hard was the install?? IM going to get a AEM CAI after reading the "great intake" shoot out in the latest Honda tuning mag ! I couldnt believe my eyes when they tested the CAI on a rsx-s --(20.7 whp and 19.6 ftlbs increase over stock) BUY the mag there is to much to right about, they did a very thourogh CONTROLLED test on all major intakes , KN typhoon, DC sports DAC and CAI, KN drop in filter, STOCK intake, INJEN sri and cai.. etc... GREAT article a must read for the k series engine tuner!!--joe

btw:
i heard that for the CAI install you must relocate the winshield fluid resevoir to the other side of the engine compartment in order for the CAI to fit properly (is this true?) ..-

You don't move anything for our AEM CAI install except for the ground wire. Check out the How-to by DTH on this site.
The CAI makes a big difference on the RSX-S but not so much on ours. Here is the link to AEM's dyno:
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/results/21-5082002CivicSI_CAS.pdf
I think this is the most realistic dyno ever posted by a manufacturer. As with any 4 banger you do need Intake, Header & Exhaust to see the big gains.

DrPimpSiR
10-08-2002, 03:07 PM
does anyone know if the rsx CAI setup will fit our ep's?? thanks --joe
No, AEM lists them as different part #'s. There is even a difference between our's and the base RSX.

02blksi
10-08-2002, 03:11 PM
thanks DR!

myeverlovinsir
10-08-2002, 04:42 PM
Fastback,

You think that that the AEM CAI is great, was the first thing I got, but wait till you mate it up to the DC headers, you will then know what easier in and and easier out can do. Its all good my friend.

My Ever Lovin SIR... :p

fASTBACK
10-08-2002, 05:21 PM
i installed it myself. it took me about two hours. The engine bay is really cramped. I didnt move the ground wire or anything. I just unbolted the brackett and rebolted it back when the tube was in. You dont have to move any thing. this engine is alot harder to work on than the older model civic.

DrPimpSiR
10-08-2002, 07:21 PM
thanks DR!
No prob! Everyone helps everyone and we all get to learn somet'in.
:)

02SilverSiHB
10-21-2002, 11:02 AM
Okay, I saw a pic of one AEM intake. I'm confused as to how it is designed. Does it go striaght down from the throttle body to the bottome of the car? I'm wondering how close this comes to the ground......I fearing the water thing......I know, just don't go through puddles. But it floods like crazy here in Texas when it does rain.

02SilverSiHB
10-22-2002, 04:44 AM
okay, I answered my own question about the aem, I don't know if I like that or not

fishboy
10-23-2002, 09:06 AM
yes, the aem CAI does kick ass.:D

Pradamuimui
10-23-2002, 02:15 PM
I think that the AEM CAI SUCKS!!! I mean I was in love with it at first too, but I do believe that the damn thing is spirting a tad bit of water into my combustion chamber. Sometimes when Im driving when its raining out (not a hard rain either) it sounds like my engine is sucking in a tad bit of water. I check my air filter today after driving it in the rain and the damn thing is wet at the bottom of the filter!! SCREW AEM, Im going with the Comptech icebox and selling this crappy ass AEM CAI!!!

BlasTech
10-23-2002, 02:32 PM
I'd rather go with a Comptech, but only if they can do better thant this:
http://home.austin.rr.com/dmcknight/aem_tq_dyno.gif
:p :p :p

jaydub
10-23-2002, 02:32 PM
Seriously, if you got water in your engine, it would blow immediately. You said yourself that you put your exhaust on last week, and miraculously you started having problems. Sounds like an installation error to me, not a problem with the intake.

TezGari
10-23-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
Fastback,

You think that that the AEM CAI is great, was the first thing I got, but wait till you mate it up to the DC headers, you will then know what easier in and and easier out can do. Its all good my friend.

My Ever Lovin SIR... :p

I worship you, you have custom 2 1/4 piping? How much did it cost? What did you have to do? How does it sound? RPM's High/low? Annoyingg nice? And the DC headers..Cost?WHo installed your AEM and DC? I want custom piping with DC Headers and AEM CAI!!

myeverlovinsir
10-23-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by trinispeed

I worship you, you have custom 2 1/4 piping? How much did it cost? What did you have to do? How does it sound? RPM's High/low? Annoyingg nice? And the DC headers..Cost?WHo installed your AEM and DC? I want custom piping with DC Headers and AEM CAI!!

ok just for you trinispeed, here is a sound effect... (turn it up, its
raw)

my baby (http://www.imagestation.com/video/play.html?id=4247116793)

midpipe was $150 and never anoying, guys, get the DC headers
thats all!
BTW, I did the CAI and Header installs myself, the midpipe was
done at a local mufflerman. hope this helps trinispeed.:)

Here is the header info...DC header (http://ephatchcom.siteprotect.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3690)
and the midpipe...
2-1/4" midpipe install (http://ephatchcom.siteprotect.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3769)
...can't wait to make tuning changes! Hondata!

Pradamuimui
10-23-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
Seriously, if you got water in your engine, it would blow immediately. You said yourself that you put your exhaust on last week, and miraculously you started having problems. Sounds like an installation error to me, not a problem with the intake.

The motor wouldnt blow immediately if you just injested tiny little bits of water. Im not talking about tons!! But I took my AEM CAI all of the way off and checked it all out and found out that the filter was seriously dirty so Im gonna replace it 2morrow. That could be what is causing the problem!!

jaydub
10-24-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Pradamuimui

The motor wouldnt blow immediately if you just injested tiny little bits of water. Im not talking about tons!! But I took my AEM CAI all of the way off and checked it all out and found out that the filter was seriously dirty so Im gonna replace it 2morrow. That could be what is causing the problem!! Uhm, yeah, any bit of water WOULD cause your motor to blow, because it can't compress the water. *pow*

So far you've mentioned all kinda of problems you're having with you car, from the heating/AC not working, to this engine problem. I think it's kinda wack that you are blaming the intake for it, when it's kinda obvious that you aren't sure what the problem is.

66elwood99
10-25-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
Okay, I saw a pic of one AEM intake. I'm confused as to how it is designed. Does it go striaght down from the throttle body to the bottome of the car? I'm wondering how close this comes to the ground......I fearing the water thing......I know, just don't go through puddles. But it floods like crazy here in Texas when it does rain.

I also have this concern. I have purchased the CAI and still have yet to install it. They don't have a bypass for ours, or I would go this route. Is water a serious concern or not?

02SilverSiHB
10-25-2002, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by 66elwood99

I also have this concern. I have purchased the CAI and still have yet to install it. They don't have a bypass for ours, or I would go this route. Is water a serious concern or not?
I think I remember seeing you win it on ebay for like 175 shipped. you suck :D

66elwood99
11-01-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

I think I remember seeing you win it on ebay for like 175 shipped. you suck :D

ACTUALLY IT WAS $152.50 :p

02SilverSiHB
11-01-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 66elwood99

ACTUALLY IT WAS $152.50 :p
go to hell! :p

02blksi
11-01-2002, 09:21 PM
"I worship you, you have custom 2 1/4 piping? How much did it cost? What did you have to do? How does it sound? RPM's High/low? Annoyingg nice? And the DC headers..Cost?WHo installed your AEM and DC? I want custom piping with DC Headers and AEM CAI!!"

Your wish is granted, Im offering custom midsections (built by a local muffler shop) with flanges, 2.25 diameter, and hangers COMPLETE (easy bolt on install!) for 95 bucks plus YOU pay ACTUAL shipping, anyone intrested reply to the stickied thread in this forum.... Good luck --Joe :)

BTW: CAI ordered! :)