PDA

View Full Version : Autocross Necessities ?

Ep3 No.2
03-30-2004, 12:47 AM
i wanted to get into autocrossing. but what are some of the necessities needed or that could greatly improve your times.
i was just thinking tires, sway bars, and tie bars. other than that i have no idea ? anyone wanna gimme some good advice ?

the JigGa mAn
03-30-2004, 01:21 AM
i think youll need to get a helmet

mrfixit687
03-30-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Ep3 No.2
i wanted to get into autocrossing. but what are some of the necessities needed or that could greatly improve your times.
i was just thinking tires, sway bars, and tie bars. other than that i have no idea ? anyone wanna gimme some good advice ?

the one thing that will greatly improve your times is track time. none of the car mods you put on your car will greatly improve your times. and thats the truf

chet
03-30-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by mrfixit687
the one thing that will greatly improve your times is track time. none of the car mods you put on your car will greatly improve your times. and thats the truf

WURD!!

Absolutely as much seat-time as you can get. Go to a school if you can afford it. Even if its something local and cheap. You still gain experience by spending time behind the wheel.

Get to know your car the best you can. Then buy some Azenis!!

oogy-boogy
03-30-2004, 06:39 AM
After my first autocross last weekend all I can say is practice by driving your car like it's stolen. :D

Burgh
03-30-2004, 08:33 AM
*echo* Autocross is 90% about the driver. *echo*

I say keep the car stock and learn to drive and then reward yourself with some azenis when you start getting better. That's what I did. But mods-wise: tires first, then shocks and swaybars.

Ep3 No.2
03-30-2004, 10:22 AM
cool thanks guys.

fsugatorbait
03-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
After my first autocross last weekend all I can say is practice by driving your car like it's stolen. :D

hahahaha :D

glw
03-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Burgh
*echo* Autocross is 90% about the driver. *echo*

I say keep the car stock and learn to drive and then reward yourself with some azenis when you start getting better. That's what I did. But mods-wise: tires first, then shocks and swaybars.
yep, what he said!

BarracksSi
03-30-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
i think youll need to get a helmet

If you haven't already, ask around to see about extra helmets. At the race I saw Sunday, the organizers had maybe eight helmets for anyone to use. I even saw an S2000 driver come into the staging area, ask for a certain size, put it on, and haul ass down the course.

BlasTech
03-30-2004, 07:26 PM
Autocross necessities for YOU:

Get all the Seat Time you can afford
Ask veteran autocrossers for rides
Make friends with the novice cheif, and invite him/her to ride with you and critique your runs at least once every event.
Sunblock....Hat....Water...VERY IMPORTANT!
$13 accu-gage tire pressure gauge
Read my new autocross article coming in April at http://www.k-series.com ;)

Things to twiddle on your car:

Camber bolts (G-stock legal!)
Tire pressures

Have fun!

Ep3 No.2
03-30-2004, 10:18 PM
w0w thanks for all the responces guys.

fASTBACK
03-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Here is an awesome place for advice and techniques..

http://www.conecrazy.org/

Go to the tech section.

zerofighter
04-01-2004, 06:09 PM
speaking of autocross, are their any upcoming events in the so. cal area coming up? thanks

mrfixit687
04-01-2004, 08:17 PM
zerofigher check out my thread in the california section, we are gona autocrtoss on sunday

zum_zum
04-01-2004, 09:52 PM
autocross a RWD vehicle.

:D

Tenacious G
04-01-2004, 10:00 PM
before you start doing suspension mods, do several auto-xs on the stock setup. this will prevent you from developing any bad habits because mistakes are much more noticable stock. i know i've learned a lot in the three races i've done in the stock class. this will help you develop good driving skills that you will be able to fine tune w/ aftermarket suspension parts.