PDA

View Full Version : OEM Fogs vs PIAA's???

oogy-boogy
03-30-2004, 06:21 AM
Ok, I have a good $250.00 set aside for some sort of fogs. I had a set of EM fogs but they were for the 04's and didn't fit so I Ebay'ed them.

Now, I've looked around and have seen some of the PIAA's that I like and that have the wireless switching which is nice. I'm not a lazy installer so I have no problems taking the time to do it. The OEM switch isn't a problem as can pick one up and rewire it to the aftermarket switch.

Anyone have any suggestions as to the PIAA model #, Stick with OEM or something els in that price range? I'm open to suggestions as I love to do tons of midnight cruises with the GF in the spring/summer/fall and need better lighting for those backroads.

Thanks in advance! :D

Btrthnezr3
03-30-2004, 07:16 AM
I'm gonna have to vote for OEM Fogs. I just think the install looks so much cleaner and just...well put together. I am looking to getting some OEM Fogs in the future :D

andy
03-30-2004, 08:11 AM
oog,

Someone on here a while back posted about some fogs that they bought
that were *super* bright and really looked good. Wish I could remember
who that was/what brand they were, but I remember they were slightly
cheaper than the OEM fogs.

For the price, I just don't feel like the OEMs are worth it, personally...

ATRIOT
03-30-2004, 08:14 AM
Ooogy buy these ones! They only cost $1400.00 http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-images/999hid.gif:shockm: :shadesm:

Btrthnezr3
03-30-2004, 08:18 AM
I too think the OEM's are rather pricey but after seeing aftermarket fogs about 3 years after install, it makes me realize that the OEM really is better quality. All the aftermarket fogs that I've seen that have been on there for a while have that distorted and yellow plastic lenses and fading and paint chipped housings. Just now worth it in the long run, imo. Not to mention that to me, the OEM's look cleaner and flow better with the front of the car. :D
I'm gonna get OEM's for mine, but Oogy is looking for more opinions, so keep em' coming.

oogy-boogy
03-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks peeps...

Keep em coming! ;)

Surprise
03-30-2004, 06:07 PM
I have heard that the OEM lens break pretty easily and are expensive to replace. Take a look at RSX forums, I seem to remember that one of them had a 4+ page sticky about the problem.

But that could be true of any foglight. If it was my money I would go with good'ol Honda parts.

03silverEP
04-01-2004, 11:28 AM
I had PIAA 1400x on my delSol wired to the factory switch (it's only 3 wires) and they worked great even after 3-4 years. But if you can get PIAA bulbs that fit in the OEM fogs that would be cool also.

SF-SI-02
04-01-2004, 11:49 AM
The BEST foglight you can buy for your hard earned cash is the sylvania xenarc x1010 LINK here:

http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x1010.htm

Which can be bought from their website for $250. It is HID and includes a wireless remote so that there is no need to drill through the firewall. The only catch is that they do not use standard d2r r d2s HID bulbs, rather you will have to order direct from them to get replacements, but HID's aren't suppose to burn out for a very long time, so I consider this a very minor negative. Someone posted pics of this install on the ep3 before. The mount was about 90% clean, the results were insane. If you buy OEM you are assured a clean mount, but do keep in mind that the plastic shield on those things are breaking all the time, and if you have lowering springs, you can expect even less life out of them. Finally, I don't remember, but I don't think you can replace the OEM shield without replacing the entire kit, so if it were up to me, I would have to go xenarc all the way.

The link to the sale on sylvania's website is below (cheaper than any retailer I could find!)

http://www.sylvaniaperformanceshop.com/performanceshop/productenlarged.asp?peid=34&pid=141894

oogy-boogy
04-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by SF-SI-02
The BEST foglight you can buy for your hard earned cash is the sylvania xenarc x1010 LINK here:

Which can be bought from their website for $250. It is HID and includes a wireless remote so that there is no need to drill through the firewall. The only catch is that they do not use standard d2r r d2s HID bulbs, rather you will have to order direct from them to get replacements, but HID's aren't suppose to burn out for a very long time, so I consider this a very minor negative. Someone posted pics of this install on the ep3 before. The mount was about 90% clean, the results were insane. If you buy OEM you are assured a clean mount, but do keep in mind that the plastic shield on those things are breaking all the time, and if you have lowering springs, you can expect even less life out of them. Finally, I don't remember, but I don't think you can replace the OEM shield without replacing the entire kit, so if it were up to me, I would have to go xenarc all the way.

The link to the sale on sylvania's website is below (cheaper than any retailer I could find!)

http://www.sylvaniaperformanceshop.com/performanceshop/productenlarged.asp?peid=34&pid=141894

Excellent!

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again for the heads up and all the research. I appreciate it :)

fsugatorbait
04-01-2004, 01:31 PM
You know where my vote went, you cant beat the cleaness of OEM. :cool:

oogy-boogy
04-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
You know where my vote went, you cant beat the cleaness of OEM. :cool:

True, but you can't beat the clarity of HID's at night (like you already know) :). I like to see the deer when Amy and I go out cruising. :D

Btrthnezr3
04-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Those DO look really great, but where or how would you mount them?

fsugatorbait
04-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
True, but you can't beat the clarity of HID's at night (like you already know) :). I like to see the deer when Amy and I go out cruising. :D

you can always get the OEM fogs and a nice HID kit. :p

oogy-boogy
04-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Btrthnezr3
Those DO look really great, but where or how would you mount them?

On the underside of the metal bumper brace. There's tons of room. I'm creative.... :)

oogy-boogy
04-01-2004, 01:52 PM
you can always get the OEM fogs and a nice HID kit. :p

Yeah, but Mr Pocket says no :o

Btrthnezr3
04-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Do they have a plastic housing? Or will you have to create your own? Or just use a bracket? Sorry, you got me interested now.

oogy-boogy
04-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Btrthnezr3
Do they have a plastic housing? Or will you have to create your own? Or just use a bracket? Sorry, you got me interested now.

They do have a plastic housing and come with mounting hardware. :)

fsugatorbait
04-01-2004, 02:24 PM
They do look good oogy, I want to change my vote. :cool:

chubbychu
04-02-2004, 01:03 AM
i hate to be the pessimistic one here...but

why not something cheap?

i used to have a set of fogs too. and they got smashed up by road debris. than i got to thinking that i should have shelled out for OEM fogs, so i went to the dealer and lo and behold. there lied a civic with smashed up OEM fogs. so point #1- fogs arent 100% indestructable and if your expensive ones get junked...what a waste of $$

also, its not like fogs are a primary source of lighting. i mean, they do help but...i doubt unless you shell out that extra 1k for HIDS, any foglight isnt going to differ that much. (kinda like the whole intake thing. the most is 7-10hp and you could end up paying a whole lot more) point #2- itll make a difference, but how much more will a good set be compared to a generic set?

i guess what im trying to say is, if it has a chance of breaking and its not that big of a deal, pay as little as possible.

http://216.82.69.117/transfer/dbimages/large/2830C.jpg

http://www.prolightstar.com/fog_lights/index.html

oogy-boogy
04-02-2004, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by SF-SI-02

Ordered them last night. Thanks again everyone :D

oogy-boogy
04-02-2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
i hate to be the pessimistic one here...but

why not something cheap?

i used to have a set of fogs too. and they got smashed up by road debris. than i got to thinking that i should have shelled out for OEM fogs, so i went to the dealer and lo and behold. there lied a civic with smashed up OEM fogs. so point #1- fogs arent 100% indestructable and if your expensive ones get junked...what a waste of $$

also, its not like fogs are a primary source of lighting. i mean, they do help but...i doubt unless you shell out that extra 1k for HIDS, any foglight isnt going to differ that much. (kinda like the whole intake thing. the most is 7-10hp and you could end up paying a whole lot more) point #2- itll make a difference, but how much more will a good set be compared to a generic set?

i guess what im trying to say is, if it has a chance of breaking and its not that big of a deal, pay as little as possible.

http://216.82.69.117/transfer/dbimages/large/2830C.jpg

http://www.prolightstar.com/fog_lights/index.html

Thanks for the info. I'm a crafty old man so I've already begun to work with some plexiglass to fabricate some 1/8" thick shields :D

SF-SI-02
04-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Besides, these HID's are not 1k, they're $250, and wireless!

fsugatorbait
04-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
I'm a crafty old man...

Lol, couldnt have said it better myself....

lol...J/P pops.:p

oogy-boogy
04-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Lol, couldnt have said it better myself....

lol...J/P pops.:p

At the install day I'll make sure I OD on the Geritol and we'll see who's old....lol...:p :D

KingGreg86
04-14-2004, 09:16 PM
if those plexi-shields work..u think u can fab up a pair and send to me...ill pay $$ for some(depending on the price;) )

oogy-boogy
04-15-2004, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by KingGreg86
if those plexi-shields work..u think u can fab up a pair and send to me...ill pay $$ for some(depending on the price;) )

It shouldn't be hard at all as I have a bunch of Plexi in my garage.

What fogs are you running now? Shape?

KingGreg86
04-15-2004, 10:07 AM
im prolly gonna get some oem ones(look the best)

JHM-EP3
04-15-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by ATRIOT
Ooogy buy these ones! They only cost $1400.00 http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-images/999hid.gif:shockm: :shadesm:

HOW MUCH FOR THOSE ? 1400 BUCKS?

phlegyas
04-16-2004, 06:18 PM
hey oog, when you get the sylvanias installed you need to take some pics.

im in need of a new bumper and am considering a buddyclub. thinkin these HID fogs would look nice inside those little holes for the towhooks. ;) or even if i stay stock theyre still attractive

oogy-boogy
04-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by phlegyas
hey oog, when you get the sylvanias installed you need to take some pics.

im in need of a new bumper and am considering a buddyclub. thinkin these HID fogs would look nice inside those little holes for the towhooks. ;) or even if i stay stock theyre still attractive

Can do....hopefully getting a new cam tomorrow and I should have the EP back on Tuesday :)

oogy-boogy
05-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Finally took a pic (doesn't do them any justice).

The fogs are flush with the black plastic OEM grill. I'll be putting a Grill Tech on over them later this week :)

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzk2NjUyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

fsugatorbait
05-17-2004, 09:30 AM
The fogs look great Mel. He's right, they look much better in person. :)

oogy-boogy
05-17-2004, 09:47 AM
The fogs look great Mel. He's right, they look much better in person. :)

Thanks Phil :D :cool:

Sb00
05-17-2004, 12:45 PM
my factory fogs both got cracked and now look very annoying, i'm very interested with how this will look with the grill over them.

question : do you think the grill will severly damper the effects of the fog light on the road?

:) and how did you wire it up to the factory harness :)

lookin good oogy :) keep it up :)

oogy-boogy
05-18-2004, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Sb00
my factory fogs both got cracked and now look very annoying, i'm very interested with how this will look with the grill over them.

question : do you think the grill will severly damper the effects of the fog light on the road?

:) and how did you wire it up to the factory harness :)

lookin good oogy :) keep it up :)

Thanks SBooooOOOOOOoooooOOOOOoooOOoooOooo :D .....

I ended up getting the Grille-Tech Lower and Upper (Honda Accord upper that I modified to fit the SI). I put them on last night. I really didn't get a chance to do any backroad driving with the fogs. Obviously, they will get a small amount of filtering due to the grill.

As far as wiring, the Xenarcs are simple. 1 power straight to the battery, a ground directly to the battery and then you run the wiring and ballasts to the HID's. They work off of a remote transmitter. I'm in the process of finding an OEM foglight switch so that I can keep it looking clean :). Just an FYI: I had a whore of a time installing the fogs. I had to create 2 1" thick brackets to bring the fogs down to the level that they're mounted. I also had to tap into the metal bumper support. Overall, I've spent a good 6 hours of cutting, fabbing and mounting. It's all worth it for the extra backroads lighting IMO. :)

I'll roll out tonight and let you know :).