PDA

View Full Version : Need tire suggestions

darkvibe
03-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Everyone always asks what the best performing tire is. I put a ton of miles on my car and can't be going through 2 sets of tires a summer so I need something a little more practical and not too expensive. I look at all these tires online and don't know anything about them other than the treadware, load and speed ratings the site gives.

Anyone have any opinions on Toyo proxy FZ4 or Proxy 4, Kumho ecsta supra 712, Falken ZIEX ZE-512, or Kumho ECSTA 711H? These all seem to have a decent treadware.

Also, how important is load rating. I think stock tires have an 88 load rating. Do I really need to match that with an aftermarket tire?

TEKBRAIN
03-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Insa Turbo? (http://www.insaturbo.com/e_index.html)

trabadoo22
03-30-2004, 10:06 PM
If you drive like a sane person or don't go to the track every week then you should deffinitly not be going through two pairs of tires each summer. Either way I know what you mean. I got a set of Yokohama AVS es100's last spring and plan to use them for another two summers. They seem to be holding up pretty well. I think they have a slightly higher tread wear rating than the Kumho 712's. Another Kumho tire just came out though called the Ecsta ASX, which has a high tread wear rating compared to others like the 712's and the Yokohama es 100's. I've found a lot of useful info at www.tirerack.com in the tech section. It goes into detail about tread wear, load, speed ratings etc., if you want to check it out. About the load rating, I would deffinitly recommend getting a tire that has at least the same load rating as the stock tires or higher. If you don't you are probably going to end up with a lot of flat tires.

darkvibe
03-31-2004, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by trabadoo22
If you drive like a sane person or don't go to the track every week then you should deffinitly not be going through two pairs of tires each summer.

Yeah, I've had my car since June of 03 and it has 36k miles on it. I've gone through the front tires once already until they were bald :D Stock tires and I drive on them all year round.

You are from Macedon? Not too far from me.

darkvibe
03-31-2004, 12:45 PM
I ordered the kumho ecsta supra 712's. Hope I like them

trabadoo22
03-31-2004, 01:53 PM
Cool. They are supposed to be a pretty good tire. Those were my second choice when I bought my tires. Ya I live in Macedon. I think I posted on the thread about the Rochester meet a while back. Anyways, good luck with your tires.