PDA

View Full Version : about turbos

LiLxKeNnY
03-31-2004, 07:03 AM
i was curious ... what is the life ona turbo under the conditions that i am a daily driver ... boost sometimes for the hell of it ... and mayb hard boost like once a month (wen i go to the track) ... how long will the turbo last??? anyways to make it live longer???

and same conditions on a SC ....

which has a longer life ... the turbo or SC???

RMC22
03-31-2004, 09:04 AM
Do you really care about the turbo life or the engine?
With the proper maintenance, the turbo will last a long time. It provides boost as it's function and as long as you are running the recommended boost, it is just doing its job. And if it dies on you, you only have to replace the turbo with the same one...

You were probably looking for a number, weren't you?
No one but yourself can tell you that. It all depends on how much you want to spend. You can make anything run forever with the $$.

swampdonkey
03-31-2004, 12:34 PM
It is common for superchargers and turbochargers to need a rebuild at about 100,000 miles. That's not exact of coarse, but it is a rough idea of what you can expect. If you buy a car with 100K miles and it is a turbo car...you should assume the turbo is to be replaced or rebuilt. Same with a turbocharger. Often if you send your factory turbo off for a rebild to a company other than the original manufacturer they will offer an upgrade. You should not upgrade a factory turbo (generally).