PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Shift Knob and Shifter Bushings Installed!

EricP3
03-31-2004, 09:02 AM
I finally got my shifter bushings after a weeks shipping. I don

STP03BlueSI
04-01-2004, 03:44 PM
The bushings ROCK! One of the best mods I have done

Siman
04-05-2004, 02:32 PM
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzM1MTg5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

got some crumbs in your cabin LOL

nice knob;)

mrfixit687
04-06-2004, 07:57 PM
looks like your car has a boner

japanese
04-06-2004, 07:58 PM
that mugen knob nicely compliments the ugliness of your shift boot.

k20hatch
04-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Thats really nice! I like it!

Ep3 No.2
04-06-2004, 08:46 PM
dont be haters.
love the mugen knob.
and yes those bushings are the best !
lol

BarracksSi
04-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by mrfixit687

Red rocket! Red rocket!

:D

(the most foul thing I remember seeing on South Park)

But, yeah, cool knob, glad you like it!

DarkSiRacer
04-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by mrfixit687

HAHAHAHA it's not just a boner its a JDM Mugen Boner

eurosteez
04-08-2004, 07:41 PM
ssshwing mugen looks good wit leather boot

dj addicted
04-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
Red rocket! Red rocket!

:D

(the most foul thing I remember seeing on South Park)

But, yeah, cool knob, glad you like it!

LOL.. I was thinking the exact same thing!!!!

back on subject... now just get the neuspeed shortshifter... then you will definately be loving everything

Low Rider
04-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Looks like my ex girlfriends' motorized probe! :D Am I allowed to say that? :confused:

EricP3
04-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by dj addicted
LOL.. I was thinking the exact same thing!!!!

back on subject... now just get the neuspeed shortshifter... then you will definately be loving everything
Yeah, the knob already makes the throw a little shorter. With the short shift adapter it would be REALLY short. I plan to get it sometime soon. I don't care at all that everyone says that it looks like a dildo, or a dog

kidXStreme
04-10-2004, 04:47 PM
i have a silver mugen shift knob and looks nice on my ep. people always tell me if i have a short shifter--never got the boner comment tough.

p.s---
there is a noticable improvement in shifting--i feel like the shifting is shorter just like ericP3 stated.

Low Rider
04-10-2004, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EricP3
[B]Yeah, the knob already makes the throw a little shorter. With the short shift adapter it would be REALLY short. I plan to get it sometime soon. I don't care at all that everyone says that it looks like a dildo, or a dog

johnkimble
04-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by japanese
that mugen knob nicely compliments the ugliness of your shift boot.

yeah, nice upgrades but lol the thing looks like a cock.. sorry ;)

emosubaru
04-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by EricP3
Yeah, the knob already makes the throw a little shorter.

i hate to quarrel, but i am quite sure shift knobs don't make the shift throws any shorter.

you could saw off your shifter so it was three inches high, it'd still have shift throws the exact same length.

what makes a short shifter a short shifter is how far the angle(throw) between gears is. short shifters should be called short throw shifters, because a short shifter won't do anything unless it changes the angle of the throw.

think about it... how are your shifts going to be any quicker if you still have to move the shifter 40 degrees from 1st to second? think how much faster your shift would be if you only had to move the shifter say, 15 or 20 degrees.

think of it like your cock. just because it's short, doesn't mean it takes any less time to aim it at a urinal.(oh snap! haha)

:eek: :confused: :D okay so that was graphic, but i'm just trying to illustrate my point.

EricP3
04-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by emosubaru
i hate to quarrel, but i am quite sure shift knobs don't make the shift throws any shorter.

you could saw off your shifter so it was three inches high, it'd still have shift throws the exact same length.

what makes a short shifter a short shifter is how far the angle(throw) between gears is. short shifters should be called short throw shifters, because a short shifter won't do anything unless it changes the angle of the throw.

think about it... how are your shifts going to be any quicker if you still have to move the shifter 40 degrees from 1st to second? think how much faster your shift would be if you only had to move the shifter say, 15 or 20 degrees.

think of it like your cock. just because it's short, doesn't mean it takes any less time to aim it at a urinal.(oh snap! haha)

:eek: :confused: :D okay so that was graphic, but i'm just trying to illustrate my point.
You have a good explanation of how short shift adapters work, but your wrong. The knob does make it shorter. I don't know how, but it feels like the throws are shorter. The other guy with the same knob even said the same.

emosubaru
04-12-2004, 09:17 AM
the distance you have to move the knob will change (slightly) but the shifter throw itself does not change(it's a definition thing) shifter throw is the horizontal displacement from the point of rotation to the actual gearbox(how far the point at the connector(on the other side of the point of rotation) has to move), not from the axis of rotation to your hand.

i'm not well versed enough to give you actual scientic terms but i'll try to draw it out.

__
| |
|_| <- point a, top of Shift Knob
||
||
||
||
||
0 <- point b, place where shifter rotates
||
_||_
| |____________ <- point c, center of thing that goes to the gearbox
| |____________

the shifter throw is determined on the length from point B to point C, not on A-C.

i know you're saying the shift will feel shorter with a shorter knob, but you can't say that it's actually effecting the shift throw because the angle hasn't changed at all(the only thing that will change the angle is the distance from point B to point C)

i don't mean to argue about this, but i think it's important to understand what terminology is correct to use and what's kinda misleading.

the short knob will make shifts feel better, because you'll have a more direct feel, but in order to cover the same distance, you just have to move the knob faster the shorter it is. it's rotational velocity isn't changed at all.

BarracksSi
04-12-2004, 06:20 PM
The shorter knob doesn't change the angle of the throws, but it does change the endpoint. Given the same angle of movement, a point six inches from a pivot will move less distance than a point ten inches away.

However, true, it's nothing like an actual short-throw modification. Like you said, a short knob doesn't change the location of the shift points in the same manner as a short shifter kit.

The short knob will make shifts feel a bit shorter, but it's not a true substitute.

FurY
04-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Sorry not trying to thread jack here but...

EricP3, we need to meet up sometime man! I'm in cincinnati and have been looking all over for a fellow ep'er. Hit me up in a PM if you're interested, I'd like to see what all you've done to your car and you can take a look at mine too.