PDA

View Full Version : going to neutral without stepping on clutch

speedking604
04-01-2004, 09:40 PM
i just notice something from our car this afternoon, while driving around the city, i notice that our gear is capable of going to neutral without pressing the clutch. i mean which ever gear your into (ist,2nd,3rd,4rth,5th gear) when you want to put back the gear into neutral, you dont need to press the clutch.

thats cool........

does anyone do this all the time????

televated
04-01-2004, 09:56 PM
You should get an automatic.

Si4U2NV
04-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by televated
You should get an automatic.

heheh come on now... be nice...

you really shouldnt do that... clutches are there for a reason to put it simply...

-Mike:winkm:

Black 02 SI
04-01-2004, 10:00 PM
if yur good enough you can shift with no clutch. upshift downshift everything, just gotta find the sweet spot in the rpm. its not recomended but you can do it in all manuals.

513n179
04-01-2004, 10:03 PM
doesn't this f**k up the tranny?

Ep3 No.2
04-01-2004, 10:22 PM
i heard my friend talking to me about shifting without using the clutch. but i thought he was just bsing me. i wouldnt try but i know that you can put it nuetral w/o having to depress the clutch. but does it mess up your tranny ?

Si4U2NV
04-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by 513n179
doesn't this f**k up the tranny?

EVERYTHING fucks up OUR trannys... :winkm:

-Mike

team ERA 5
04-01-2004, 10:27 PM
i found that out the hard way (no clutch needed to put it in neutral) i was teaching my girl stick then a cop pulls us over she panics and freaking just throws in in neutral with out the clutch.. u can feel that she didnt use the clutch because it was sorta ruff...haha i was sooooooo mad but the cop was cool and kicked us off the empty school parking lot campus hahah...damn thinking bout it im never gonna teach her in my ep again...i swear she peels out in 1st all the time...tryin to tear up my motor mounts/ tranny/ everything>>> shes soo ruff ( i like it hahah ;) )

iR-VTEC2
04-01-2004, 10:46 PM
i dont think you can shift without using the clutch in our cars??

PAPITUYO326
04-01-2004, 11:00 PM
my friend does it in his spec v all the time

my ex gf did it in her s2000 tooo.....

im too chicken to try it in my ep tho :o :D

Surprise
04-01-2004, 11:03 PM
All manuals do this. Shifting without the clutch is very similar to double clutching. When changing gears, the clutch is depressed to disconnect the engine from the transmission. This releases any stress on the moving parts (when you hit the transition point when you are no longer accelerating and not yet decelerating the transmission has no stress so you can put it in neutral without any harm, in effect the clutch is disengaged). Since the output shaft is permanently connected to the wheels, the only way to match the speed of the two shafts (one connected to the engine the other to the wheels) is to use the throttle to adjust engine speed.

Once the engine is turning the right rpm, both shafts will be turning the same speed (exactly like when the engine is off and you can shift gears easily), the gear lever will fall into gear without using the clutch.

civicracer1128
04-01-2004, 11:05 PM
dont do it, its stupid. my jackass friend has a v6 eclipse and does it. even if you do it right and dont grind you hear a SLAM!!!!!!!!! into gear. its not healthy. our trannys suck enough ass on theyre own dont give em another butt cheek.

downhil
04-01-2004, 11:09 PM
i used to do that in all the cars when i worked at the dealership!:D

screw 'em.

bobdobbs
04-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Si4U2NV
you really shouldnt do that... clutches are there for a reason to put it simply...

This is incorrect. There's nothing wrong with going from in-gear to neutral without using the clutch. In fact, there's no reason to use the clutch at all. Depressing the clutch simply disconnects the tranny's main shaft from the engine, allowing you to put it *in* gear without matching engine revs perfectly to avoid grinding. If you're already in-gear, the engine revs are already matched perfectly with the gears in the tranny. There's no chance in grinding so using the clutch to pull it out of gear is completely unecessary.

VividDreams
04-02-2004, 12:09 AM
the easiest cars to do it in are VeeDubs

BSEVEER
04-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by VividDreams
the easiest cars to do it in are VeeDubs

Exactly. I used to drive a bug and I could go from first to fourth and back down to first without using the clutch. I haven't done much clutchless shifting in my ep though. I't something that's hard to teach you just have to feel it.

sirdee
04-02-2004, 01:57 AM
I used to shift without the clutch in my crx. I's fun. Aslong as you match teh revs right you won't grind gears. I've shifted from gear to netural in my ep3 but i haven't tried upshifting or downshifting clutchless yet.....

priest6479
04-02-2004, 05:10 AM
I sometimes don't use the clutch, lets say i'm in fourth rolling down a hill, coming to a Red light, just let off the gas let her coast, then just pull it out of gear, no strain, bangs or bumps.

My uncle once had a rental car, it was a 5 speed, had no clutch and he had to learn very quickly how to shift, it is a matter of find the sweet spot in the RPM.

cj miller
04-02-2004, 12:52 PM
the only thing that sucks is to learn how to do this you must try it and most likely fail for a little bit. youll know when you fail when your shit GRINDS LIKE A MOTHA

SiGuy
04-02-2004, 01:13 PM
We had a guy try it at the WRONG rpm and bent the shit out of a shift fork. Of course he had no idea how it happend, only 2000 miles on the car. Resulted in a new tranny-warranty

LiLxKeNnY
04-02-2004, 01:17 PM
ive had a successful shift from 2nd to third w/o the clutch ... it was smooth and all ... but i would never do it again ... i jus did it to see if it works ... like others said ... using the clutch is much safer

EricP3
04-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by PAPITUYO326

my ex gf did it in her s2000 tooo.....

Your ex girlfriend had a s2000???? Whyd you let that one go man!!!

eurosteez
04-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
This is incorrect. There's nothing wrong with going from in-gear to neutral without using the clutch. In fact, there's no reason to use the clutch at all. Depressing the clutch simply disconnects the tranny's main shaft from the engine, allowing you to put it *in* gear without matching engine revs perfectly to avoid grinding. If you're already in-gear, the engine revs are already matched perfectly with the gears in the tranny. There's no chance in grinding so using the clutch to pull it out of gear is completely unecessary.

This is all true but there is circumstances where it will bust up your gears. ie. motor braking and just trying to pop it in neutral. when there is stress on the gears its not good to just pop em into neutral.

BTW. I can't shift 2-3 without the clutch in the si. In every other car I've tried this in it has worked without grinding. I just can't get the timing in our car and I'm not gonna keep trying it. dammit.

dj addicted
04-02-2004, 02:32 PM
I used to do this all the time in my 99 civic dx that I owned before the Si. Dobbs is right though... its all about revmatching... listen to the motor and watch the tach.. in our cars it should be around 3500-4000. Its not high at all.. Downshifting is the bitch...bceause you have to have the RPMs so low so it is matched to the previous gear. This does not harm the tranny in any way... unless you miss and grind the gears.. Also, cant be slow about it.. you need to shift as if the clutch is pushed in. You cannot baby it in there.

audomatik
04-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Si4U2NV
EVERYTHING fucks up OUR trannys... :winkm:

-Mike

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! :: shakes head and single tear falls down cheek :: Funny cause it's true.