PDA

View Full Version : front right side clanking, popping, weird noise..

PortoRy
04-02-2004, 05:57 PM
1 week after installing my springs i started to get this weird popping clanking sound like a bolt is loose or sumthin outta my front right side... i read the creaking thread and thats not the problem..all the bolts seem fine.. i dunno what the deal is

Peking
04-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by PortoRy
1 week after installing my springs i started to get this weird popping clanking sound like a bolt is loose or sumthin outta my front right side... i read the creaking thread and thats not the problem..all the bolts seem fine.. i dunno what the deal is

Did you get someone to turn the wheel then you watched it? If not do that then tell me if you see the whole thing move/pop.

02SiFoLife
04-03-2004, 01:31 PM
I have the same problem. My right front wheel makes a weird popping/clanking noise almost like its rubbing on somethin and when I'm driving I can feel the noise in my center console right under the e-brake. And it seems like its only when I'm makin right turns and it gets loud when I let off the gas. I don't know what it is but its scarin me.
But I didn't lower my car I just put rims on it.

ecsahs3
04-03-2004, 01:47 PM
your all jinxing me. i've been dropped on teins for almost a year now. 2 days ago, i just started to get that popping sound from my front right when turning. doh!

PortoRy
04-03-2004, 05:47 PM
noones here or i would do the turn wheel thing...it pops when im going slow over small ass bumps and little crevisis in the road (however u spell crevis) but i know its the front right..this is starting to piss me off!

31102si
04-03-2004, 05:59 PM
grease the gold ring that sits on top of the spring it will solve the noise problem

ecsahs3
04-03-2004, 11:42 PM
isn't it possible that it could also be a motor mount?

02SiFoLife
04-04-2004, 02:26 AM
I know its comin from my right front wheel too.
Its super loud almost sounds like somethings gonna break !
I think its something that a little grease won't fix.
I did look at the bushing and it seems to be a little off compared to the other side. Maybe thats it, but why all of a sudden would it just be cocked out of position ???? I didn't even lower my car or change any suspension, I just got rims and I got the same problem.
Its starting to piss me off thats for sure.:(

EP33
04-04-2004, 07:29 AM
My car has been making that noise for about a year now. So far it has held up, nothing has fallen off. It just makes me not want to wash my car very much.

IIx 03 EP xII
04-04-2004, 04:18 PM
my car has the same noise. and i just cornered pretty hard and it made two consecutive clunking noises in a row. i heard that if you get it re-torqued then it will all go away. btw. im dropped on H&R's w/ koni yellows. im gonna try to get it re-torqued tuesday or whenever the soonest is.

epclown
04-04-2004, 05:54 PM
There are a whole lotta things to "Retorque" in your front end. I've had more then one mechanic tell me it is a spring moving in the strut cause the strut is worn. But i'm yet to replace the strut.

IIx 03 EP xII
04-04-2004, 07:06 PM
well i have an 03 so i dont see how the strut is worn. but that noise is getting worse and worse... so.... i dont know what to do, cuz im no mechanic.

02SiFoLife
04-04-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm gonna take mine to Honda tommorow cuz its scarin me.:o

PortoRy
04-05-2004, 03:47 PM
my car has 10k miles on it, i dont see how the strut could be blown even if i did lower the car. It has only been lowred for 2 weeks now. I will try to lube up the ring. I guess its good to see im not the only one with this issue, I was thinking on buying a whole new set of struts also....but if thats not gonna solve the issue then i dont know what will...

it does sorta sound like the spring could be moving around.. Ill talk to my brother about that, hes the mechanic, i just do the research.

PCPPharm.D
04-05-2004, 07:01 PM
i just lowered my car with h&r springs
looks like we all have same problem!

PortoRy
04-05-2004, 11:33 PM
so is it safe to say that relubing is the only way to get rid of that noise???

02SiFoLife
04-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Well I figured out what my noise was.
When I got my rims and tires some fuck nut hit my exhaust pipe and bent it up so when I drive the pipe is hitting the under-side of my car right under the passenger side making a loud noise which I thought was my suspension. Oh well now I guess I gotta try to bend it back or make a bracket to hold it. :(

Fuckin dumb ass people piss me off.
If the guys that put my rims on weren't good friends of mine I would go down there and make a scene !!!!!
Oh well gotta live with noise for now but pry bar here I come !
Wish Me Luck.:mad:

31102si
04-06-2004, 07:50 PM
so is it safe to say that relubing is the only way to get rid of that noise???

That has been a common problem with peoples cars after they have been lowered. This is because when you turn your car not only do the wheels turn but the whole front suspension turns. If there is not enough grease between the ring and spring then it will make that pop/ clunk noise because of the friction. Buy some thick axle grease and put it under the ring and on top of the spring and it should stop the noise. Good Luck ;) I had the same problem with my ground controls and after I greased the ring it went away. Also for those of you with coil overs spray them down with white lithium grease this quites them down.

Peking
04-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by 31102si
That has been a common problem with peoples cars after they have been lowered. This is because when you turn your car not only do the wheels turn but the whole front suspension turns. If there is not enough grease between the ring and spring then it will make that pop/ clunk noise because of the friction. Buy some thick axle grease and put it under the ring and on top of the spring and it should stop the noise. Good Luck ;) I had the same problem with my ground controls and after I greased the ring it went away. Also for those of you with coil overs spray them down with white lithium grease this quites them down.

Yep that is what helped me out, yet almost 6 months later. It seems to be coming back, so I guess I will be lubing it up again :D

IIx 03 EP xII
04-07-2004, 11:18 AM
so if i just let my suspension take a shower in grease then it will be quiet? sounds good to me... ill be doin that this week then! that clunking noise is driving me crazy. 02silverishb said that if i lubed up the 'dust covers'? then i would be good too?!

Peking
04-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by IIx 03 EP xII
so if i just let my suspension take a shower in grease then it will be quiet? sounds good to me... ill be doin that this week then! that clunking noise is driving me crazy. 02silverishb said that if i lubed up the 'dust covers'? then i would be good too?!

I do that too :)

k20hatch
04-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Ya i had the problem for awhile...it just kinda went away...I noticed alot of ep's having this problem as well...Mind just took time!

PortoRy
04-07-2004, 01:11 PM
FIXED IT

The top nut bolt or whatever its called on the strut (im not sure im no mechanic) had come lose a little, i get there is teflon in it and the bolts are suppose to only be reused maybe once...So we tightened the bolt, i My brother said he set it to a higher preload. He explained everything to me but i cant remember it word for word.. ANYHOW the car is driving like a champ again

thanks guys for trying to help me figure out the problem :-)

Peking
04-07-2004, 08:10 PM
FIXED IT

The top nut bolt or whatever its called on the strut (im not sure im no mechanic) had come lose a little, i get there is teflon in it and the bolts are suppose to only be reused maybe once...So we tightened the bolt, i My brother said he set it to a higher preload. He explained everything to me but i cant remember it word for word.. ANYHOW the car is driving like a champ again

thanks guys for trying to help me figure out the problem :-)

Hey that's great :)

i-vtec04si
04-12-2004, 11:10 AM
my drivers side front only when parked or real slow does a clunk clunk but if going 15+ it doesnt??? imma try some grease in there and see just wierd how mine is opposite side of everyone else

02NJHondaep3
04-12-2004, 05:15 PM
its like this. You guys installed the spring the wrong way. Where the spring meets the car, its just 2 pieces of greased rubber or plastic rubbing against each other. The spring bunches up and it uncoils which makes a creaking sound. Stock it looks like this = but when you lower your car it looks like this <. The angle of where the spring touches the strut changes. You have to align the springs right by rotating them to the proper angle. I had this problem with my eibach sportlines but then my friend fixed it. You can get aftermarket bearings to solve the problem but its not worth the money. Sorry for the shitty explanation but if i had a camera i could better show u. hope it helps.

i-vtec04si
04-12-2004, 10:30 PM
so is this something extreemly important to fix. or is it just something annoying?

IIx 03 EP xII
04-13-2004, 07:11 AM
so basically you are saying that everybody on this thread installed the springs wrong? and that a couple shops did too? well i will see about it and see if it fixes my problem. thanks man.

02NJHondaep3
04-13-2004, 11:50 AM
its just annoying I guess. I didnt let it go too long. I dont think it says anything about aligning the spring and the strut in instructions. I lost my creaking noise after my friend fixed it at his shop.

IIx 03 EP xII
04-14-2004, 07:10 AM
so should i take it back to the shop where i got it all installed and tell them to fix it or what? should they charge me for it? or is it there fault? and what if they didnt install it wrong?

wooman
04-14-2004, 08:45 AM
had the same noise when i car was lowered, but then i raised my car back up with the stock shocks, still had the same noise.... then i brought it to honda and they said my shocks were rusted, and replaced all 4... now even tho it's at stock height, at least my car is smooth and no noise whatsoever... just like brand new....

02silverep3
04-15-2004, 11:49 AM
I've got the same problem. But have you guys ever thought that it could be the drive shaft. I just remember on my old civics when my drive shafts would go then i would hear a pop when I turn. Just a thought

i-vtec04si
04-15-2004, 05:41 PM
i jacked it up and checked it out everything is tight. but there is a little bit of of a yellowish grease on some parts. i dont think the cv boot is messed up its not cracked or anything... im really confused, and annoyed. if i take it to honda they prolly wont fix it huh? cuz i modified the suspension. any ideas???/

i-vtec04si
04-19-2004, 05:13 PM
well no more clunk or anything greased the top pearch and everything is gravy..... :D

dontknow
04-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Did you take it apart to lube it... or just spread the lube up there with your finger??

Thanks

i-vtec04si
04-19-2004, 09:12 PM
i took it back apart to re lube it.... i also forgot a piece in the assembly that could have done it too?:confused:

anyways it doesnt clunk no more and thats what matters.:D