PDA

View Full Version : My engine does something weird...

TheMutt
04-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Not sure if it's just me or if this happens to anyone else, but I find that sometimes if I go to second gear and step on the throttle all the way @ arond 3k rpm, the tach goes up but i can see and feel it kinda pulse. Like it will go up, slow down for a split second, and keep going up, and repeat the same until it kinda evens itself out. Does anybody know if this is a sign of something bad going on inside my engine or tranny? It only happens in second gear too, so it kinda worries me. I'm not sure if maybe my tires are breaking loose or something, I figure if it was my clutch slipping (even though I don't really know what that is) it would be in 1st more than 2nd gear. I'm kinda confuzzled.

Any ideas or guesses?

evilep3
04-04-2004, 01:33 AM
i am not sure what that is but i felt if for a while as well. however i started running 89 octane and i noticed no pulse and my car didnt bogg so much if i gunned it from lower rpm's

dont know why it happened but me and my passangers noticed a difference in the smoothness of acceloration... fill your tank w/89 and try it out and let me know if it still happenes.

bigben21
04-04-2004, 08:10 AM
what you are feeling is a bunch of changes expescialy when its cold. you feel the intake manifold switching from short runner to long runner and the intake cam advanceing and retarding. mine does the same exact thing. from what ive hear hondata reflash fixes this problem. but its nothing to worry about

SiRRider
04-04-2004, 09:04 AM
I think your feeling I-vtec??? I know I get a pulse in second when I am low in the rpm range (second gear) then tromp on it. Our car has a couple of stages of I-vtec.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-04-2004, 10:16 AM
that hesitation will be eliminated if you get hondata...
otherwise you have to live with it...
i remember, it was annoying...

2k2SiAutoXer
04-04-2004, 10:18 AM
1. our cars do not have dual intake runners

2. we only have 1 vtec switchover point, at 2200 rpm.

Not sure what you problem is, could be a dirty air filter or just a coold engine. How many miled do you have on it?

--Tom

bigben21
04-04-2004, 11:51 AM
http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/index.html read on this this is all what goes on when going through the rpm range

grooveline
04-04-2004, 12:43 PM
i swear i love it... a bunch a$$holes running around acting like they know what the fuck is going on....

dual runners.... haha thats a good one you retard. get back on the drugs foo, we liked you better that way.

and stages of I-vtec? my god

son, if you're engine is doing that, a) something is fuhged, b)you caused it trying to be vin diesel c)sucks for you.

mwa hahahaahahahaha

DavidT
04-04-2004, 12:55 PM
So when you step on your gas the RPMs go up but your car doesn't? It feels like it hesitates while the RPMs go up? If so, you have a slipping clutch :(

bigben21
04-04-2004, 01:10 PM
haha i love how everyone on this board trys to start a argument there is no sense on calling someone names like that. apperantly you dont know me i probally know more stuff about hondas then you ever would i work on them everyday. i dont work on to many eps though. but the info i post earlier is wrong that info is based on some engine in japan. i was just posting info i came across on the internet.

Originally posted by grooveline
i swear i love it... a bunch a$$holes running around acting like they know what the fuck is going on....

dual runners.... haha thats a good one you retard. get back on the drugs foo, we liked you better that way.

and stages of I-vtec? my god

son, if you're engine is doing that, a) something is fuhged, b)you caused it trying to be vin diesel c)sucks for you.

mwa hahahaahahahaha

evilep3
04-04-2004, 03:31 PM
there are a few assholes on every board :rolleyes: i guess grooveline just wants to fill that position...

anyway, mine pulsed in the same way and didnt jump rpms so i dont think it is the clutch

Si4U2NV
04-04-2004, 03:33 PM
#1 our carz do not in fact have dual intake runners, as 2k2SiAutoXer said.

#2 no need to be dicks about it people... be nice.

#3 that article is about the K20A (K20A2) not the K20A3 that we have... there's a difference... a big one...

#4 if you experienccing the same thing i did, where it KINDDDDDA feelz like itz boggin but itz REALLY not - my car did the same thing till i installed better grounding wires... believe it or not.

-Mike

PS- Lighten up people... were all here to learn and help... and youre not here for either of those reasons then youre just mean.

TheMutt
04-04-2004, 05:14 PM
Grooveline, youre an idiot, my friend. Next thing I know, you'll be making fun of my grammar too :rolleyes:

Anyways, after reading through some of the responses I noticed a lil bit of confusion. I honestly don't think it's a clutch problem. In all reality, it's really not a problem at all. It only does it sometimes but I was just trying to see if anyone else knew what I was talking about. I might try a lower octane to see if the changes anything, right now I only use 93. And it's not colr in texas anymore, about 75 degrees. I never really feel i-VTEC or notice it on tach, but this is between 3000-6000 or so anyways. I'll post again after next fill up.
Either way, I don't think Ima go out and buy hondata just to fix it.

VBSI
04-04-2004, 08:19 PM
I have never used anything but 93 octane in mine, and I notice when I am going up the band in 2nd, I get "flat spots" where the accel doesn't seem smooth. I wonder if I should run 89?

priest6479
04-04-2004, 08:56 PM
V-tec tutorial.

http://209.123.203.246/temp/25929279.jpe

I feel it too sometimes es all good.

BlasTech
04-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Someone should make a website that comprises of only this:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1005867#post1005867

fsugatorbait
04-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Someone should make a website that comprises of only this:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1005867#post1005867

that was the most informative k-series engine article ive ever read. :)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Read this thread and tell me if it's what you're describing.
Not neccesarily the first post, look at what everyone else is describing.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10127&highlight=misfire

Seems to be a common issue.
If thats the issue you're talking about, hondata fixed it.

StarflyerBoy
04-05-2004, 11:35 PM
right on... my engine was having the same problem at about 4500 miles so i went to get the first oil change and it's running a-ok now.