PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber Type-R replica (usdm)

redronin22
04-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Here it is folks, a new alternative to that square fiber images kit.
Fitment is awesome. if u have a VIS fiberglass kit this one fits even better!

courtesy of Chuck from Showstoppers

enjoy:

CLICK ME (http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287259195)

could someone please link the pics over here for non image station members?

sleepinEP3
04-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by redronin22

could someone please link the pics over here for non image station members? [/B]

pretty please:(

mxp
04-04-2004, 10:54 AM
i saved a couple of the pics and hosted them ...

cheers on the kit bud

http://www.ifrim.ca/civic/ephatch/f921cd06.jpg.orig.jpg
http://www.ifrim.ca/civic/ephatch/f921cd5c.jpg.orig.jpg
http://www.ifrim.ca/civic/ephatch/f921cd6f.jpg.orig.jpg
http://www.ifrim.ca/civic/ephatch/f932ba11.jpg.orig.jpg

enjoy

-mxp

redronin22
04-04-2004, 11:00 AM
thanks for hosting em. im not very computer literate

02SiFoLife
04-04-2004, 11:03 AM
whats the price for the full kit?
And does the wing come with it ?

redronin22
04-04-2004, 11:30 AM
full price will be announced very soon. Im guessing probably along the same price as the fiber images kit. It's fitment is damn like OEM. It simply snaps on.

No the wing is not included. None of the kits that i know of, ever include a rear wing.

hendo999
04-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Wow that kit looks great, good to see the fitment is perfect!! just the kit ive been waiting for. dammit i love showstoppers!!!!

sd_ep3
04-04-2004, 12:36 PM
dope!!:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

redronin22
04-04-2004, 12:38 PM
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzM5OTYxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

redronin22
04-04-2004, 12:39 PM
my favorite pic hehe. View from an ants world

evilep3
04-04-2004, 05:58 PM
it will be mine... oh yes... it will be mine:cool:

siver-SI
04-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Looks sweet. Love the CF on the white do not paint it.

johnnydanger
04-04-2004, 06:27 PM
OH YEAH, I'M GETTING THAT FOR SURE....

BlackSi613nin
04-04-2004, 08:10 PM
i think im in love......

NitehawkEP3
04-04-2004, 08:17 PM
is there a USDM Mugen lip/sideskirt/bumper kit yet? pics please

plpong893
04-04-2004, 08:26 PM
why does that have to come out after i got my lip kit god damn it

redronin22
04-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by NitehawkEP3
is there a USDM Mugen lip/sideskirt/bumper kit yet? pics please

FYI mugen kit would use CTR sides n rear. Essentially a mugen kit would just be the front bumper cover + grill and a radiator duct kit. I think one will be coming out soon.

redronin22
04-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by plpong893
why does that have to come out after i got my lip kit god damn it

yea life does have a habit of screwing us over. i got my Ro-JAs like a week before a guy put his te37's on sale. =-(

Black 02 SI
04-04-2004, 09:15 PM
down boy, down boy. as someone just said it will be mine oh yes it will be mine. i have been waiting for a kit i like and now its here. question, how do you think you could attach it so it would make stealing harder. like special screws or something?

redronin22
04-04-2004, 10:01 PM
well if u park with your tires straight they would have to take off your rims to get to the screws n torque em. Id add a drop of resin or liquid steel inside the screw head. that should keep em on =-)

1fastminivan
04-04-2004, 10:15 PM
So you guys think this would look good even with a Painted CTR replica wing?? I love the kit on your white EP.....mines white also.......but with a painted CTR replica wing. :D

redronin22
04-04-2004, 10:22 PM
id rock it if i were u. hey if u dont like it paint it. =-) its stronger n fits much better then most kits aside from oem type-r

Black 02 SI
04-04-2004, 11:00 PM
yeah and maybe ad some nuts on the back, and more than just two screws. i just want to keep the stupid theives from takin it, but no matter what if someone wants it they are gonna get it. so how much is it????? :) :) :)

02SiFoLife
04-04-2004, 11:02 PM
When can I buy it and how much ? I'm sold already !

Ep3 No.2
04-04-2004, 11:25 PM
omg and this comes out after im already in the process of a fiber images kit ! blah !

Ep3 No.2
04-04-2004, 11:50 PM
is there a set price in it yet ?

Rey
04-05-2004, 02:23 AM
HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT

I am gonna start saving. I am guessing 1500-2000 for the kit.

fsugatorbait
04-05-2004, 06:51 AM
I dont think it'll be that much, id say closer to a grand. I cant wait to see the Mugen CF front lip. :)

oogy-boogy
04-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Best kit yet IMO...

fsu: I'm surprised you haven't ordered it yet :D

pedzola
04-05-2004, 06:02 PM
I want it!! I want it before the uconn show on the 18th!! lol

I have a feeling htere is little to no chance of that happening though. It was unclear whether there is even a full kit available yet or if all they have is the front lip... :(

fsugatorbait
04-06-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by pedzola
I want it!! I want it before the uconn show on the 18th!! lol

I have a feeling htere is little to no chance of that happening though. It was unclear whether there is even a full kit available yet or if all they have is the front lip... :(

they have the whole kit for $899 shipped, just call and find out if they can get it to you in time. Their # is 818 243 0954.

fsugatorbait
04-06-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
Best kit yet IMO...

fsu: I'm surprised you haven't ordered it yet :D

Just wait and see how fast I move when they release the mugen lip. :cool:

plpong893
04-06-2004, 09:12 AM
is there a type r carbon fiber wing?

fsugatorbait
04-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by plpong893
is there a type r carbon fiber wing?

Yup, there listed on ebay.

bao_pay
04-06-2004, 11:37 AM
to be honest i'd be happier if they came out with a urethane kit instead of carbon fiber.:rolleyes:

pedzola
04-06-2004, 02:21 PM
:eek: I just ordered mine from Chuck!

http://webpages.charter.net/pedzola/images/smallbanana.gif

I'll get pics up of it on my black EP probably sometime around the 18th. Should be here next Thursday if it ships tomorrow. :D

You can all come to the UConn car club car show on the 18th if you wanna see it in person! ;)

RockEP_SS**
04-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Rob's EP= Shamu!!! The kit looks sweet, you won't be dissapointed Chris! Yo Phil (fsu) gimme a call ;) ASAP!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

Mugen Power
04-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Not bad, but I think you should paint it. IMO, it would look better. I dunno, I've been moving away from the bare CF thing, it just ruins the flow of the car. Maybe, just maybe, it'll be OK with the hood unpainted. :)

Anyway, it's kinda hard to tell from the pics but is the rear of the lip angled down like the regular USDM Type R replica?

slc71
04-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Do you have to purchase the whole kit or can I get just the front lip?
If so how much are the individual pieces?

Civicvtec1ps
04-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by slc71
Do you have to purchase the whole kit or can I get just the front lip?
If so how much are the individual pieces?
320shipped for front lip.

Adubb
04-09-2004, 04:20 PM
so this carbon fiber kit is only 899 shipped?????

00-ITR-373
04-09-2004, 09:10 PM
How does the lip attach to the car (front lip). Is is similar to OEM, where there are about 8 screws underneath and 2 on each side?
I'd hope so. I like the kit, but want to make sure fit and finish AND attachment is there. Thanks.
Any pics of attachment points on the lip?

redronin22
04-11-2004, 06:17 PM
Two screws on each side and it fits snug. If u want to you may drill more.

Mugen Power
04-12-2004, 08:25 AM
I guess you guys missed my question but does the rear of the lip angle downwards like the other replica Type R lip?

kHATCHmEP3
04-12-2004, 04:40 PM
The kit looks pretty tight! nice fitment. it'll look cleaner too if u paint it white to match the EP. but i want the front lip! Damn gotta save up noww..hehe so many carstuff to choose from, so little *pera (money)* to burn! *argh* anybody want an EP meetup in central Jerzee? peacee

redronin22
04-13-2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Mugen Power
I guess you guys missed my question but does the rear of the lip angle downwards like the other replica Type R lip?

yea it does a lil bit. ill take some more pics soon so u can get better look at it

JHM-EP3
04-15-2004, 07:17 PM
anyone want an EP meetup in south jerzee? lol

SLOazzEPhatch
04-15-2004, 11:06 PM
So how do i go about ordering one? Just call? 899 shipped is damn good for a CF kit.

pedzola
04-16-2004, 04:27 AM
It is $975.

fsugatorbait
04-16-2004, 06:11 AM
It is $975.

Did you get your kit yet Chris?

pedzola
04-16-2004, 10:16 AM
POST EDITED!!!!

Here are some notes:

1) Did not come w/any instructions or any type of screws, bolts or other fasteners. Also the pieces were not pre-drilled (EDIT - not a big deal).

2) EDIT - Fitment isn't perfect for sides and rear - pieces need some coaxing, maybe some filing or minor modification on the skirts - there will be some gaps but not as bad as I originally may have made it sound.

3) EDIT - Carbon Fiber serves no structural purpose in these pieces. They are thin fiberglass or w/a single layer of carbon fiber on the outside. Pieces CRACK if stressed so BE CAREFUL.

4) EDIT - Rear took some coaxing but Fitment ended up being much better than I had originally reported. SORRY

The good points....

1) The front lip fitment is near perfect - but be careful not to stress it while fitting or corners will crack.

2) It is very easy to drill the holes. EDIT - Carbon Fiber content is negligible when drilling... you are essentially drilling through fiberglass.

3) Kit looks sweet and I get mad props. =P

Ep3 No.2
04-16-2004, 10:39 AM
hmm intresting. let me know how the rear fits pedzola.
oh and congrats on ur new lip kit =OP

johnnydanger
04-16-2004, 02:05 PM
how does the fiberglass kit fit i wonder? the c/f is just too much bling for me, i wanna keep it more subtle. but if there's problems with the kit fitting right, i don't want to go thru all that drama...

pedzola
04-16-2004, 03:34 PM
The rear fit kinda crappy. One side was near perfect but the other side has a big gap. I tried to wiggle it every which way to get it on there right but it just wasn't happening.

Overall it was pretty easy to install - another plus. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Even without instructions or hardware or pre-drilled holes, it really wasn't bad.

It looks pretty good now that I'm done. But up close you will see a lot of gaps and some cracks in corners and things.

02SiFoLife
04-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Thats shitty to hear especially all the stuff about how perfect it fits.
I might think twice now cuz that was the kit I wanted.
Are you happy with it ? Can those gaps be fixed ?
And chipping it right when u got it ! Damn. Should have waited till tommorow ! j/k:D

pedzola
04-16-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm pretty happy overall I guess. It looks good... my friend said I might be able to fix the gaps w/some 3m automotive tape. We'll see...

ShowstoppersUSA
04-16-2004, 04:29 PM
The rear fit kinda crappy. One side was near perfect but the other side has a big gap. I tried to wiggle it every which way to get it on there right but it just wasn't happening.

Overall it was pretty easy to install - another plus. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Even without instructions or hardware or pre-drilled holes, it really wasn't bad.

It looks pretty good now that I'm done. But up close you will see a lot of gaps and some cracks in corners and things.

We had the same problem with the rear! All we did was we pushed the rear up all the way into the bumper from the side you drill it and also from the back middle piece and we were able to make it sit flush. Try that and see what happens. Also look at Redronin's pics and you will see how high it sits. It will fit PERFECT! Try that Chris and let me know what happens. If not call us and I'll walk you through it

ShowstoppersUSA
04-16-2004, 04:43 PM

It is very easy to drill the holes (not carbon fiber!).

CHRIS!!!

Carbon fiber is always backed by fiberglass. Whether its the hood or the hatch, lips or mirrors. Carbon Fiber always needs a skeleton or else it will wobble... That kit is TRUE carbon fiber.

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

Ep3 No.2
04-16-2004, 04:56 PM
3m automotive double sided tape works wonders. =OP

pedzola
04-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by ShowstoppersUSA
CHRIS!!!

Carbon fiber is always backed by fiberglass. Whether its the hood or the hatch, lips or mirrors. Carbon Fiber always needs a skeleton or else it will wobble... That kit is TRUE carbon fiber.

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

While I'm not personally familiar with the process, I'm pretty sure sheets and other forms can be made w/carbon fiber alone, and that it has pretty extreme characteristics in terms of strength and rigidity.

The exterior layer of this kit showing beneath the clearcoat is definitely carbon fiber weave - "true" carbon fiber, for sure! My qualm is that it seems like it is just 1 tiny thin layer of material. If I look at the seams of my carbon fiber wing (also made by Vis) I can clearly see multiple layers of material laid down on whatever skeleton they used (probbaly fiberglass).

I'm just saying that I had a few parts crack on me and that they seemed like, for all intents and purposes, fiberglass pieces with what might as well have been carbon fiber paint. The actual carbon fiber in the piece provided no structural support whatsoever to the material.

Don't get me wrong, I know that multiple layers of material that are strong enough for structural purposes are mad $$, and I wouldn't expect this to be carbon fiber 100% all the way through. But the way my drill bit went through the pieces without any pressure applied, and the way a few of my corners got cracked... maybe they could have added an extra layer or 2 to add a bit of extra strength.

The kit looks awesome, the fitment was very good... and I am willing to admit that maybe the cracks and some of the misfitment were my fault at least in some part if not entirely... but I would have hoped for the price that I would have gotten an extra layer or 2 of actual carbon fiber weave instead of a fiberglass piece with a single layer for looks...

Don't hate me Chuck, I still <3 showstoppers. :* But you can tell Vis that your asshole customer thinks that these pieces should be given a little more structural integrity in terms of composite materials, or start calling them "fiberglass w/carbon fiber outer layer" instead of straight up "carbon fiber."

http://webpages.charter.net/pedzola/images/smileys/ninja1.gif

Adubb
04-17-2004, 10:18 PM
first off.. pedzola.. did u really expect to have everything handed to you? like them sending you screws, and pre-drilling the holes? Do you even like to work w/ ur car? if so, why are u complaining? Its obvious u've never had a body kit before. If you want things in this world, you have to work at them. also, about the fitment. dood, dont EVER , EVERRRRRRRR expect a body kit to fit 100 % perfect! NO KIT EVER WILL!!!!! I just know this from experience.. but to the normal person, they wont notice the gaps.. trust me!

also.. if ur worried about the carbon fiber cracking, then u shouldnt have gotten it.. c/f is the worst w/ durability, then the horrible fiberglass, but i've personally found out that the only way to buy a kit is to get the eurathane(sp.)..

as for the price, why did it go up? thought it was 899 shipped? where did the 975 come in?

sorry if i sounded like a dick.. just had a bad day.. anyway, if i can help w/ anything, just hit me up.

Adam

p.s. good luck w/ ur kit

SLOazzEPhatch
04-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Adubb

as for the price, why did it go up? thought it was 899 shipped? where did the 975 come in?

i would kinda like to know that too? Is showstoppers flaming on the price now because the demand is up now?

EnJaNir
04-17-2004, 10:35 PM
cost went up, because when Chuck was given the price there was miscommunication on the sideskirts. He was told a price, thought they were for both only to find out that the price given was for each skirt. Hence the price increase.

pedzola
04-19-2004, 07:46 PM
UPDATE: I decided to undo the rear and give it another try at fitment. With a bit of coaxing I was able to get it to fit much better. So I'm SORRY for dissing the rear lip fitment.

As for "getting everything handed to me..."

For $1000 I think they could throw in $5-10 worth of screws/bolts and a piece of paper with a little diagram of suggested attachment points. 'nuff said.

redronin22
04-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Well if anyone wants a DIY i can be happy to arrange for it. I know the exact mounting points hence mine had near perfect fitment. You will need to file the front upper edge just a bit to keep it from cracking.

EnJaNir
04-19-2004, 09:28 PM
def do a diy...that would be great..make sure that pics are there too :)

redronin22
04-25-2004, 09:45 PM
sorry been so busy lately. i should have detailed instructions up sometime this week.

been laggin

Ep3 No.2
04-25-2004, 10:43 PM
hell yah diy should help out a lot

ilive2r011
04-25-2004, 11:32 PM
ill try to do a diy when i installed my mugen usdm cf lip i have pics but i still need to put the sides and rear on

fsugatorbait
04-26-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by ilive2r011
ill try to do a diy when i installed my mugen usdm cf lip i have pics but i still need to put the sides and rear on

Could you show us the pics you have? Id really like to see the CF mugen lip. :)

FCobra94
04-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Could you show us the pics you have? Id really like to see the CF mugen lip. :)
Yeah, if anything, I'll be getting just the front lip, so a DIY would be great! :)

I def don't want to have to worry about cracking it during the install ;)

03CivicSi
04-27-2004, 07:36 AM
wow I just noticed this on this kit as well(sorry if I reposted), but the stock bumper shows through the underside of the CTR lip on this as well as fiberimages, too! :( it's noticable.. so get out your dremel :mad: lol jp

03silverEP
05-04-2004, 12:31 PM
"Carbon fiber is always backed by fiberglass. Whether its the hood or the hatch, lips or mirrors. Carbon Fiber always needs a skeleton or else it will wobble... That kit is TRUE carbon fiber."

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

really, i'm sure an f1 car or Mugen's CF is just for looks and under it is chopper gun fiberglass, right......

knowledge is power, unless you're stupid

03silverEP
05-04-2004, 12:40 PM
oh, yeah FYI-->'real' CF you can look through, hold it up to a light and you can see light through it, ie no fiberglass

03CivicSi
05-04-2004, 12:45 PM
well ok.. but that's not what I mean. if you were to look directly toward the rear lip, at that height, too eye to eye or higher.. you can see the Si's actual bumper UNDER it, not through the c.f. I didn't mean. like if you have a white or silver or whatever besides black Ep, you can see the bottom end of the actual bumper under the skirt, like an upskirt. that little part isn't a huge deal but it also doesn't support the c.f. in any way.

ShowstoppersUSA
05-04-2004, 03:04 PM
I got 4 front lips back in stock so call us if you were waiting to order this! Thanks

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

SiOnTheFly
05-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Rob your definetly a CF whore!:D