PDA

View Full Version : Drag Radials

SychoSly
04-04-2004, 07:22 PM
My car is currently on 18's and its not really the best wheel size for racing. I just picked up a set of 16" velox wheels for really cheap and I desperately need tires for them. My question is can i get a set of drag radials for the front, or is it a bad idea for my axles/tranny. The car is currently n/a but i plan on turboing it soon. What are my chances of braking things with dr's on the front.

p.s. if you dont think i should put dr's up front what good sticky tires should I get?

Siman
04-05-2004, 02:01 PM
go with some BFgoodrich drag radial comp T/A's...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?step=details&source=brand&index=2&productCodeIndex=38637

oh, make sure you get aftermarket drive axles....they are like 400 for a 300hp ones...

and for the rear, get thin little tires, the 16" BFgoodriches only come in one 16" size 255 !

so make sure you get some little bitty thin tires for the rear to keep weight and friction down!;)

oh, get a new clutch too...with those tires and with a stock clutch, you would shatter the friction disks....in essence you would have to feather the throttle on launch, burning up the clutch...get a stage 4 exedy clutch...

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Siman
go with some BFgoodrich drag radial comp T/A's...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?step=details&source=brand&index=2&productCodeIndex=38637

oh, make sure you get aftermarket drive axles....they are like 400 for a 300hp ones...

and for the rear, get thin little tires, the 16" BFgoodriches only come in one 16" size 255 !

so make sure you get some little bitty thin tires for the rear to keep weight and friction down!;)

oh, get a new clutch too...with those tires and with a stock clutch, you would shatter the friction disks....in essence you would have to feather the throttle on launch, burning up the clutch...get a stage 4 exedy clutch...

what the...?? i hope you were joking...

1.) 255/50-16's aint fitting in an ep3 wheelwell.
2.) aftermarket drive axles arent needed unless youre running full slicks and/or making sick power.
3.) why are you telling him to run skinnies out back, he's not looking for 8 second 1/4 miles.
4.) exedy stage 4?? LMAO!!

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by SychoSly
My car is currently on 18's and its not really the best wheel size for racing. I just picked up a set of 16" velox wheels for really cheap and I desperately need tires for them. My question is can i get a set of drag radials for the front, or is it a bad idea for my axles/tranny. The car is currently n/a but i plan on turboing it soon. What are my chances of braking things with dr's on the front.

p.s. if you dont think i should put dr's up front what good sticky tires should I get?

Just get some Falken Azenis if you want something with great grip that can still be driven on the street and have some respectable tread life...

... or if you really want a drag radial check out the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial, they actually come in a size you can fit on your ep3:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+Drag+Radial
i would reccomend you only use them at the strip though, unless you wanna be replacing them every time you change your oil...LOL

If you're worried about breaking stuff, get some Energy Suspension motor mount inserts and/or an engine dampner to reduce wheel hop which is usually the cause of broken axles, trannys, etc.

SychoSly
04-05-2004, 07:29 PM
are kumho ecsta any good on grip? i can get a deal on those.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-05-2004, 08:45 PM
are kumho ecsta any good on grip? i can get a deal on those.

i thought you wanted drag radials or something sticky?
the kuhmo 712's are good daily drivers but nowhere near as sticky as Azenis which are only a few dollars more and great for track use...

SychoSly
04-05-2004, 11:45 PM
I do want drag radials or something sticky. Just asking how the Kumho's are. Simple question. My buddy is getting rid of some, and they are practically in perfect condition, barely used. So just asking how they are.

Thanks.

FCobra94
04-06-2004, 12:21 PM
I do want drag radials or something sticky.

Well, which is it? Drag radials and Azenis are super sticky in each of their own respective ways (i.e. the drag radials will be sticky in a straight line, but performace in the twisties will suffer as a result of their soft sidewall; the Azenis are almost completely the opposite).

You kinda have to decide what your looking for in a tire before we can steer you in the right direction ;)

But as for the Kumhos, from the reviews that have been floating around here and other boards, they seem to be in the middle of the other tires previously mentioned. If you can get 'em for a good price, I say scoop 'em up and then worry about getting new tires when those wear out. JMHO...

Also, check out this tire thread; it should be quite helpfull:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31430