PDA

View Full Version : The EP that went poopy (part 2)

oogy-boogy
04-05-2004, 03:56 AM
Ahh well.....seems as though chapter 2 happened yesterday.

I had my alarm/remote start installed (Thanks Phil :) ) and the car was running great. A good friend of mine that is certified did the whole install. He was asking a few Q's about the EP so I asked him if he wanted to take it for a rip. Well, after hearing him shift into second the car had quite an odd sound to it. He pretty much turned around and baby'ed it back from that point (I could hear it).

All I can say is the motor is knockin' like a Girl Scout trying to break the cookie selling record :(. Well, looks like I'll be towing the ride to Honda today or tomorrow....

:mad: :(

RiCeCoOkEr1280
04-05-2004, 05:12 AM
Sorry to hear that Mel... This incident in particular is one of my biggest fears... Good luck and keep me posted...

Paul

!@#$%
04-05-2004, 06:41 AM
agh, did he misshift?

fsugatorbait
04-05-2004, 07:05 AM
yeah Mel, it sucks that this had to happen to a good guy, but do you think he might have mis-shifted? You said the car was running fine the night before (sorry I missed the pike, I was in RI) and all of a sudden there's a problem. Hopefully the dealership will be able to take care of it under warranty.

2.0L Monster
04-05-2004, 07:15 AM
Was there a cel?

anjapower
04-05-2004, 07:33 AM
Hey Mel, best of luck getting it taken care of. Remember to reset your ECU before you take it in!!

esmith13
04-05-2004, 07:39 AM
Damn, Mel.... sorry dude.

Was it actually knocking? (popcorn pinging sound) or did is sound more like bent valve chatter?

This sux... Just remember - all good things come to those who wait...

If you push thru these problems and be patient, who knows, a k20a may come across your path cheap - and you'll never have to deal with that engine again! ;)

Eric
(Just thinking VERY positive)

BlackKnight 03
04-05-2004, 08:32 AM
sorry to hear Mel, seems you and your car cannot win any battles these days:o

oogy-boogy
04-05-2004, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the kind words peeps :)

To answer some Q's:

!@#$% - No, I think he may have bounced off the Rev limiter in first. After 1st was when everything went to kakaa.

fsu - Same as above. It was fine when we started it and out of first. @nd is whee it starting making funky noises.

2.0 - Yeah, it's a blinking cel which I have never seen before.

Anj - Thanks for the tip ;)

Eric - It's weird. The idle is a little rougher. Where it's most noticeable is above 2.5k. It basically sounds like the intake is chattering and backfiring (almost like an exhaust leak would sound at the header midpipe junction if the spring bolts weren't tightened).

hahaha....I've already been running searches on E-bay just in case
:'(

oogy-boogy
04-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by BlackKnight 03
sorry to hear Mel, seems you and your car cannot win any battles these days:o

Determination my friend.....I'll get through it. I just keep telling myself "It's just a car". :D

pedzola
04-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Damn man that sucks. You better have it back before the uconn show on the 18th! :(

fsugatorbait
04-06-2004, 06:16 AM
Any updates Mel?

oogy-boogy
04-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Any updates Mel?

Hoping to send her over on the hospital bed today Phil....:'(

fsugatorbait
04-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
Hoping to send her over on the hospital bed today Phil....:'(

ok, let me know later on how it goes.

NemesisITR
04-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Sounds like mine the other night when I broke a valve retainer and dropped a valve. Cause: over revving the motor. Hit (8200 rpm). I guess I hit the rev limiter (Hondata) once too many times and blew the motor!!!

specialblend154
04-06-2004, 08:05 PM
damn fellows that sucks a bunch.. you shoulda been like thanks asshole i thought you were certified!!! you cant even drive without wrecking my baby.. then i woulda open hand smacked him like charlie murphy did to rick james..haha sike:)

oogy-boogy
04-07-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by NemesisITR
Sounds like mine the other night when I broke a valve retainer and dropped a valve. Cause: over revving the motor. Hit (8200 rpm). I guess I hit the rev limiter (Hondata) once too many times and blew the motor!!!

:eek:

Sorry to hear that....:'(

After thinking about it and talking to everyone else we all believe he wasn't used to how quick first is and he must've bounced off the rev limiter 2 - 3 times.....Ugh....worst part is I've never even come close to it :(

00-ITR-373
04-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Oogy - sorry to hear about your car. My only question is in auto-x I've bounced the rev limited off all my cars at one point or another. Looking ahead at the course and not at the tach. Neve in an EP yet, but two other Honda products. I've never had a problem with bouncing off the rev limit. Sounds strange. Sorry about your luck. Keep us posted with what the outcome is and what the cause was.

oogy-boogy
04-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by 00-ITR-373
Oogy - sorry to hear about your car. My only question is in auto-x I've bounced the rev limited off all my cars at one point or another. Looking ahead at the course and not at the tach. Neve in an EP yet, but two other Honda products. I've never had a problem with bouncing off the rev limit. Sounds strange. Sorry about your luck. Keep us posted with what the outcome is and what the cause was.

Well, the ECU was reflashed so I imagine he must've bounced it off ~8,000 rpm's.... :eek: :(

Btrthnezr3
04-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Well, the ECU was reflashed so I imagine he must've bounced it off ~8,000 rpm's.... :eek: :(

Damn dude...I'm so sorry! :(
I hope everything gets better and all fixed up. I'll pray for you and the EP. :'(

oogy-boogy
04-07-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Btrthnezr3
Damn dude...I'm so sorry! :(
I hope everything gets better and all fixed up. I'll pray for you and the EP. :'(

Hehe....Thanks A+ ;)

Well, at worst I'll just have to buy an A2 :)

esmith13
04-07-2004, 07:07 AM

I'm really sorry this had to happen to a great guy - but at least learn a lesson from it...

NEVER let someone else "test drive" your car once you've done modifications to it's functional limits.

IE - turbo'd, supercharged, rev increased, AFC'd, etc.

Once you've gotten to the point where care NEEDS to be taken to respect the limits of the car instead of the car ENFORCING them - the time for "being nice" to your friends is over...

If they respect your car half as much as you do they'll understand...

Oh, and I don't trust dealerships or mechanics at that point either...

Eric

oogy-boogy
04-07-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by esmith13
I'm really sorry this had to happen to a great guy - but at least learn a lesson from it...

NEVER let someone else "test drive" your car once you've done modifications to it's functional limits.

IE - turbo'd, supercharged, rev increased, AFC'd, etc.

Once you've gotten to the point where care NEEDS to be taken to respect the limits of the car instead of the car ENFORCING them - the time for "being nice" to your friends is over...

If they respect your car half as much as you do they'll understand...

Oh, and I don't trust dealerships or mechanics at that point either...

Eric

Thanks Dad. :rolleyes: Nothing like telling a Dog to stay out of the road after he's been hit.....:p

Dunrick
04-07-2004, 07:33 AM
no it means you were bouncing off at 7,700 rpms - I see no problem with fuel cutoff being bounced on 2-3 times...thats what its for, its not healthy, but isn't the cars death

hondata raised it to a safe point. I don't believe this is your problem. Did you hotdog your car a hell of a lot? Maybe when your engine mount broke, something else got damaged - then the fuel cutoff just was the icing on the cake

anjapower
04-07-2004, 09:04 AM
yea mel, i don't think hitting the limiter 2-3 times even with hondata would do that. I know i've hit it a few times in 3rd, and many times in 2nd at autox's. Keep us updated on what you find out.

esmith13
04-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks Dad. :rolleyes: Nothing like telling a Dog to stay out of the road after he's been hit.....:p

It wasn't a dog - it was a CAT.

... And at least I put up this sign...

http://65.168.247.56/ephatch/free_cat.jpg

Seriously tho. Not to be an ass, but I know it was too late for U. Being the good natured person that U are tho I thought you would understand the intrest in others reading this and THEM hearing that so they don't suffer the same fate - assuming that WAS the fate, of course.

That's why were all here, right? to get help and help others...

Eric

oogy-boogy
04-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by esmith13
It wasn't a dog - it was a CAT.

... And at least I put up this sign..............

:D

You suck moose knuckle.... :D ;) :p

NemesisITR
04-07-2004, 05:07 PM
If you bounce off the revlimiter and shift at the same time then your car can and will over rev. Thats what mine did. Oh and I talked to the guy today who is installing my A2 and he said that on my Si ecu the freeze data read at one shift around 10k and the next at 12.5k. So looks like my motor deceided to over rev when I hit the rev limiter with Hondata.

anjapower
04-07-2004, 06:09 PM
how is that possible unless you keep your foot planted while you shift?

As long as you let your foot off the gas while you push the clutch in there's no way that your car is gonna overrev.

SSMep3
04-07-2004, 06:38 PM
i also agree with anj how is that going to happen?

NemesisITR
04-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by anjapower
how is that possible unless you keep your foot planted while you shift?

As long as you let your foot off the gas while you push the clutch in there's no way that your car is gonna overrev.

Im just as stumped as you guys. But the ecu doesnt lie.

One of my old coworkers who worked for an Indy car team once said that even tho the rev limiter cuts fuel the motor can still spin to an over rev situation. And putting the clutch in and letting off the gas doesnt always save you.

Unfortunatley I was the lucky one to have this happen.

Dunrick
04-07-2004, 09:35 PM
you just shift like a mad man or something - anj is right. the ecu cuts it off, however you can go over it, if you misshift

WikedEP3
04-07-2004, 11:49 PM
cant believe you guys dont trust technicians.........not very nice...

02 si, k24a tsx motor, 03 integra r 6 speed, aem cold air, spoon 70mm tb, special intake man. hondata gasket, tanabe x brace, neuspeed front and rear sway, dc titanium bars, tanabe df210 springs, koni struts, dc header, invidia cat back, 03 integra r flywheel, 310 cc injectors, str fuel rail, unorthodox clutch, fiber images oem carbon hood, racing hart cp10s-anthacite, much more....

oogy-boogy
04-13-2004, 09:49 AM
WOOOHOOOO! WOOOHOOOO! WOOOHOOOO!

Just talked to Honda and it looks like everythings covered! I'm soooooo excited!!!!

Only problem is they won't get me a rental. :(

Symptoms: Knocking

Synopsis: Engine Failure

Items they are replacing:
Short block
New cylinder head

Note to self: Never ever ever let another buddy drive it :D

BlackNRedSi
04-13-2004, 09:53 AM
awwwh ooogster sorry to hear about that man! Why do i have this feeling this stems from the problem @ ATCO back in the day?!?! Trade the poor EP in and get yourself a STi man! :)

I'ma give you a call later tonight, pick up your fone!

E.II

oogy-boogy
04-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
awwwh ooogster sorry to hear about that man! Why do i have this feeling this stems from the problem @ ATCO back in the day?!?! Trade the poor EP in and get yourself a STi man! :)

I'ma give you a call later tonight, pick up your fone!

E.II

Hehehe....I feel the same E. I think all the stress hurt my baby and this was just the icing on the cake. Well, I guess It'll basically be like having a new motor :D (No Suby for me...yet).

fsugatorbait
04-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Good news man! :D

Any idea on expected down time?

oogy-boogy
04-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Not sure. They've already ordered the parts so I just have to wait. I'd imagine late next week before I have it (No UCONN meet for me :( )

pedzola
04-13-2004, 02:08 PM
No UCONN meet for me :(

:'(

trk
04-13-2004, 09:33 PM
So does honda have any idea you have (or had) hondata?

Tai

anjapower
04-13-2004, 10:02 PM
wow holy crap. That's great news Mel! A whole new freaking engine?! :Jealous:

PAPITUYO326
04-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by trk

Tai

yeah did they?

great to hear that ur car will be ok...

guess no k20a2 for u yet lol:D

oogy-boogy
04-14-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by trk

Tai

I don't imagine so. :D

Originally posted by anjapower
wow holy crap. That's great news Mel! A whole new freaking engine?! :Jealous:

Thanks Anj.....I'm pretty excited myself :)

Originally posted by PAPITUYO326
yeah did they?

great to hear that ur car will be ok...

guess no k20a2 for u yet lol:D

Thanks....

Yeah, looks like I'll have to be living vicariously through another members A2 ;) ;)

SSMep3
04-14-2004, 08:43 AM
hey mel that is great news!!!!! hopefully it will be back soon but i guess not soon enough for u ;) -jon

BlackKnight 03
04-14-2004, 08:44 AM
that is great news to hear. Congrats

oogy-boogy
04-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys....

Makes me want to get plans going for a cruise night even sooner :D

oogy-boogy
04-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Ok....Just got off the phone with the Tech. Apparently, the roller just blew apart on the rocker arm on #1 :eek:

He also said that they had to fix the same problem on an EP earlier this year. Apparently, it was just due to a faulty part. The Tech is even going to be nice enough to take care of a couple other little things for me (FREE!).

The best part is the EP will be done on Tuesday afternoon! Wooohooooo! What an awesome way to start the weekend. :D

::Claps hands and does the Pee Wee Herman dance::

fsugatorbait
04-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Good news man, glad to hear everything is turning out ok. :)

BlairSpeed
04-16-2004, 01:41 PM
How many miles did you have before this happened?

oogy-boogy
04-16-2004, 02:59 PM