PDA

View Full Version : Intake without Exhaust? And Moisture Quesiton

Stealth Wedgy
04-05-2004, 09:16 AM
My air filter needs replaced and i was looking at just putting in a SRI in there instead.

Anytime i mention this to someone, they all say that you need to install an exhaust once youve installed an intake.

I dont have the cash to do both, but i was curious if i can just do the intake now and still be fine.

I realize i wont get the same gains as with a I/E.

Just wanna make sure i wont be hurting anything.

Also, i noticed that the hood design of the EP lets alot of water into the engine compartment, those of you with intakes & open eliments, dont you worry bout water getting into the intake?

jaydub
04-05-2004, 09:29 AM
a) you don't need an exhaust with your intake. One without the other is fine, but having both (with a header) would be optimum.

b) water on your filter won't hurt anything. If you're worried about hydrolocking, then I suggest not having a CAI at all. You'd have to submerge the entire filter in order to hydrolock, and even then you'd have to be on the throttle.

Stealth Wedgy
04-05-2004, 09:32 AM
A short ram intake from what i undertand gives better acceleration numbers than the CAI, which is why im more itnrested in the SRI

jaydub
04-05-2004, 09:40 AM
I think I recall seeing that the difference between a CAI and an SRI lies in where the most power is made. CAI makes the power up high, SRI makes it in the middle range... or that could be reversed.

Stealth Wedgy
04-05-2004, 10:14 AM
so basicly im not risking getting moisture in my engine by having the intake?

i realize that your engine gets some moisture from the air no matter what. Im just curious if you dont get MORE due to the open element

jaydub
04-05-2004, 10:39 AM
It's physically impossible for water to go into the engine by just getting the filter moist. Like I said, the whole filter would have to be submerged in water for anything bad to happen. You should be fine.:)

phatfreeza
04-05-2004, 02:04 PM
i was traversing some pretty deep puddles (stupid me) about half a foot to 3/4 of a foot high... i have a cai and i was lowered.. scared the crap out of me... but i made it out okay :) like jaydub says, you can't get water into your engine due to "the open element"

dj addicted
04-05-2004, 02:21 PM
seriously... a CAI is fine.. and even if you are worried about sucking up water... if you see a big puddle.. just pop it into neutral and fly through it. To suck up water.. you have to starve the filter from air and then rev the engine...i.e. submerge the damn thing... You also dont have to worry about water being kicked up from your tires or anything because it is in front of your tire. Also, there is a splash guard down there to prevent water from flying up where the filter is. Unless you have a buddy club body kit..the filter should be completely fine..

03silverEP
04-05-2004, 02:34 PM
a friend of mine hydrolocked, cost $4000.........so how much are those 3 extra hp worth to you?

jaydub
04-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by 03silverEP
a friend of mine hydrolocked, cost $4000.........so how much are those 3 extra hp worth to you?

Your friend is obviously retarded.

dj addicted
04-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
Your friend is obviously retarded.

nuff said