PDA

View Full Version : Another Review of the Double X Brace by D3D

GCheung55
04-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Hey everyone. I've finally properly installed the Double X Brace by D3 Designs. It was a difficult task and took a lot of muscle because I followed the directions on the paper which were wrong. After reading the threads here I installed them myself. Sorry, no pictures.

At first glass the bar looked plain and simple. It didn't have any gloss to make it all pretty. What surprised me (and my friend) was how light it was. The instructions seemed mediocre.

Tools:
12mm, 17mm and 19mm + socket wrench
Jack + Jack Stands
Biggest wrench you can find
Zip Ties (BIG HELP)

Installation:
I did the installation three times. First time (with a friend) was without reading the instructions, next was following it, and lastly was reading the threads. To make a long story short I began by zip tying the bar to part of the chassis. It looks like a long tube from the driver to passenger side. Afterwards, I started with the rear two bolts using 12mm. Leaving them loose, I continued up to the middle then the front. Leave plenty of slack. It might be difficult to get the bolt to slide in because the bar would be pulling it to the rear. My suggestion here is to use the pull the bar forward and try to slide the bolts in. If that doesn't work try using a rubber hammer. If THAT doesn't work, then use the jack. Remeber to try and get the bolt to reach the hole first before using the jack. The middle section should be threaded without using the jack. I'll tell you about the jack method in a moment. The front is where I had the most difficulty. With the biggest wrench i had, I slid it over the bar, and used it to create some leverage to pull the bar towards the front. Once this is done, the bolt should side in the hole a bit easier. But it's not all the way in. As you start cranking at the bolt it will stop threading. At this point you use the jack.

Using the jack was a bit scarry at first. Placing an extension and the socket under the bolt, I jacked up the extension right under the bolt until it pushed the bolt into the hole. The car may be lifted but do it slowly. You might wanna do this in intervals with pulling the bar and wiggling the bolt, and then doing the jack method again. Once it's in, you'll hear some noise as if it hit some threading. Start cranking and you should be all set.

Remember to tighten all the bolts during installation, and after a test drive, just to be on the safe side.

Comments:
The handling was a lot better. I'm doing this on a stock EP3 with the Double X Brace being the only mod. After taking turns that I usually do at reasonable speeds, I feel the car is able to take those turns a bit faster. There is still some body roll considering my car isn't lowered. I hear less skidding while turning and accelerating while coming out of the turn too.

I hope this has been a fun read. It's my first review. Your comments?

Hatch, Si Hatch
04-06-2004, 05:46 AM
Great review! I told myself, "no more mods" but with all the positive reviews of this bar I really want it now.

FCobra94
04-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Comments:

The handling was a lot better. I'm doing this on a stock EP3 with the Double X Brace being the only mod. After taking turns that I usually do at reasonable speeds, I feel the car is able to take those turns a bit faster. There is still some body roll considering my car isn't lowered. I hear less skidding while turning and accelerating while coming out of the turn too.

I agree. My only other mod is an RSX-S rear sway bar and I could tell a definite difference w/ the X-brace. The way the car maintains its composure now over bumps and uneven pavement in the road is worth the price alone! I love it! But yeah it was a bear to put on...

I would also suggest you invest in an RSX-S rear sway bar as well. Best mod for the dollar so far! It got rid of most all of the body roll in the rear of the car for me and made the most dramatic improvement so far. I feel that the only thing holding the car back now are the $h!tty stock Michelins :p With some aftermarket rubber, the EP should handle fantastically!

Gearhead Geek
04-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Ya know, one of these friggin days I'm gonna put mine on. It's been sittin in my livingroom since when it first came out :p

oogy-boogy
04-06-2004, 02:20 PM
I love my double X. I did a review a while back but it was deleted :(

Like stated above, you have to put a little nut into it. I also used the zip ties when I did mine.

I used a rubber mallet and a socket with extention to get the 19 and 17 mm bolts in.

Overall, it makes the EP handle like a go cart....:D

oogy-boogy
04-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Also, be careful as you end up losing ~ 1" of clearance in certain areas (the 4 intersecting points where the large 17 and 19 mm bolts go).

Make sure you torque the bolts up again after a few days to be safe.

GCheung55
04-06-2004, 03:04 PM
I haven't lowered my car just yet... looking into Teins, JIC, and Endless Zeal Coilovers for that adjustable height without touching the spring perch. I'll keep that 1" in mind though.

I learned about the zip ties from you oogy-boogy. That was a great tip. My friend said so too. Our arms just got tired from trying to bolt on the bar while holding it.

The RSX-S rear sway bar is 22mm correct? I saw a progress sway bar that was 25mm. Not sure if I should go that way. The progress sway bar also came with a rear tie-bar together.

graham
04-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by GCheung55

The RSX-S rear sway bar is 22mm correct? I saw a progress sway bar that was 25mm. Not sure if I should go that way. The progress sway bar also came with a rear tie-bar together.

Nope ... RSX & RSX-S is 19mm ... CTR is 22mm

GCheung55
04-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Sou desu ne...

Well then, should I go CTR or Progress? I wonder. How about suggestions on the Coilovers?

oogy-boogy
04-07-2004, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by GCheung55
.......I learned about the zip ties from you oogy-boogy. That was a great tip. My friend said so too. Our arms just got tired from trying to bolt on the bar while holding it........

Cool, :)

Glad my tips helped you out some ;)

As far as the rear sway, it is 19 mm like graham stated. I put on the RSX 19 mm and ES 19 mm sway bar bushings and it made a very noticeable difference. A+ mod! I wanted the CTR 22 mm but was scared of losing the rear end in one of these lovely New England snow storms. :rolleyes:

BSEVEER
04-07-2004, 10:33 AM
I should be getting mine pretty soon. I had one on for a day (they used my car to make the prototype) but that was last summer. I don't even remember what it was like.