PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Done a Bored Out Throttle Body Yet...Need Info ASAP!.

JSIR
10-09-2002, 05:42 PM
Just wondering if anyone has bored out their stock throttle body. If so, can you tell me what size it was bored out to ?. Ive been told that it can only go 2mm over from some sources, and some have said 4mm over. I have mine out for boring this week and we plan on doing 3mm over, but I am not sure how safe that may be given that some have said 2mm is the max they can go. . If anyone has some info please let me know ASAP in case I'm about to damage mine, thanks . .....:o

ssvr6
10-09-2002, 06:54 PM
If you bore it out, you'll need a larger butterfly to fill the gap. If you have one, where did you source it from?

Steve

JSIR
10-09-2002, 08:41 PM
yeah well the shop doing the boring will machine a new plate to match, standard stuff for them. I'm just putting all the misc. parts back together once it's bored out and a new butterfly plate installed.

Pradamuimui
10-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Spoon is comeing out with a throttle body here really soon. I dont remember what it is bored out to be, but I do know that you will loose Cruise Control. But who needs cruise control anyway??

Suk02Si
10-09-2002, 09:24 PM
Spoon supposedly has 70mm taped throttle body... its for the type r though

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2002, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
Spoon supposedly has 70mm taped throttle body... its for the type r though
I thought the type r was 70mm?

Suk02Si
10-10-2002, 09:12 AM
hmm.. I'm not sure. I just remember reading somewhere that Spoon had a throttle body that tapered from 70mm to 65mm for the jdm civic.

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2002, 10:42 AM
hmm.. I'm not sure. I just remember reading somewhere that Spoon had a throttle body that tapered from 70mm to 65mm for the jdm civic.
I saw a post somewhere on here that explained that we have a 60mm and the type r has a 70mm, I'll see if I can find it

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2002, 10:45 AM
never mind, you're right...well sorta :D the type r has a 62mm, we have the 60mm. so yeah, a 70mm is probably what spoon makes.
http://www.t-mail.com/cgi-bin/tsail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.honda.co.jp%2Ffactbook% 2Fauto%2FINTEGRA%2F200107%2F07.html&sail=full&lp=ja-en&requestType=T-Sail

JSIR
10-10-2002, 11:48 AM
Our Ep's have a 62mm TB same as the RSX-S, since we use the same manifold.

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
Our Ep's have a 62mm TB same as the RSX-S, since we use the same manifold.
well that site sucks :(

JSIR
10-11-2002, 08:15 PM
Okay for anyone still following this thread, looks like we could only go 2mm over on the throttle body. We ended up just a tad bit over 64mm, we were going for 64.5mm but had to stop short. It turns out the thinnest part is where the throttle shaft enters the bore, there is a sealed bearing behind the bore and you can't go much over 64mm or you start to cut into the bearing.

The throttle body works really nice though, feels good. We ended up experimenting a bit by putting a radius on the leading edge of the throttle body instead of tapering it to a thin edge. Looks much like an air horn as opposed to a thin sharp taper. It seems to work well. We also counter-sunk the two screws on the shaft to improve air flow a bit, and we adjusted the butterfly mechanism to ensure that the butterfly was fully open at full throttle. The stock butterfly does not lay perfectly horizontal at wide open throttle, like all Hondas , it is on a slight angle. I wonder how well a 65mm throttle body would work on this car, as the 64mm seems like a nice improvement, too bad we couldn't go any larger. well that's all the info I have, hope this helps others.