PDA

View Full Version : NJ Insurance rates for the EP?

HondCivc91
04-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Hey everybody - I was just wondering what I might be looking at insurance wise for purchasing an '04 EP brand new. As of right now with my '91 Civic Hatch I'm paying $975 per year with only liability, Good Student Discount, and Driving School Discount. I don't have any points on my license and have never gotten myself into an accident. I also get my insurance thru NJ Manufacturers (which I've been told by others is the cheapest in the state).

My buddy has an RSX-S he bought new in '02 and before he started accumulating tickets/violations, his insurance was $1800 per year which seemed kinda low to me (maybe he was BSing me). I'm thinking in the range of about $2000 per year for an '04 EP? Maybe?

Any of you guys from Jersey that can give an estimate of what you pay would be great!! Thanks a lot!!

halos02Si
04-06-2004, 01:39 PM
i have USAA as my insurance company and i pay about 2292 a year full coverage...comes down to about 191 a month. ive seen some crazy rates though, so watch out :)

-breandly

HondCivc91
04-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by halos02Si
i have USAA as my insurance company and i pay about 2292 a year full coverage...comes down to about 191 a month. ive seen some crazy rates though, so watch out :)

Thanks for the reply, do you have anything against you? Points? Accidents? etc? Thanks again!! :)

halos02Si
04-06-2004, 02:03 PM
nope i dont have anything at all against me...i also got a defense driving certificate and some other stuff while in the marines that really helps me. no points so far...knock on wood!

-breandly

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-06-2004, 03:02 PM
im 26, married, 0 pts, pay about $1500/yr full coverage, Liberty Mutual...

fsugatorbait
04-06-2004, 03:17 PM
I pay about 3 grand a year for my metlife policy through my work.

halos02Si
04-06-2004, 03:31 PM
any insurance will tell you straight up that you will not see a drastic change in your insurance until or over the age of 25 .....sucks for me i got 3 years to go.

hamerhd
04-06-2004, 03:37 PM
i'm 58 and pay $1400. Not that much different from you guys. No tix or add ons. 2002 SI

HondCivc91
04-06-2004, 06:34 PM
heh, yeah well I'm 19 so I'm sure it's going to be pricey. Then again I've been driving three years with nothing against me. Even with the good record under my belt I'm still expecting a sizeable increase! Thanks guys and keep them coming! Anyone else out there have NJ Manufacturers?

-Martin

USAFHondaguy
04-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by halos02Si

-breandly

Keep in mind you can only have USAA if you're military or a dependent.

KaPGuN
04-06-2004, 07:57 PM
one of my buddies has NJM, he has an '03 GTi 1.8T, he pays about $1800/year for full coverage, but with clean driving record, no points and he's 21. So it seems reasonable that you would pay around 1800-2000. Question: Is the policy under your name or under your parents but with you as the primary driver on your car?

plpong893
04-06-2004, 08:51 PM
im 19 in jersey 2 points.... 2000 a year full coverage though AIG

HondCivc91
04-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by KaPGuN
one of my buddies has NJM, he has an '03 GTi 1.8T, he pays about $1800/year for full coverage, but with clean driving record, no points and he's 21. So it seems reasonable that you would pay around 1800-2000. Question: Is the policy under your name or under your parents but with you as the primary driver on your car?

I'm under my mom's insurance. When I get the Si she will be co-signing with me and I'll also still be under her insurance plan. Thanks KaP!

Exit117K20
04-06-2004, 11:27 PM
I'm 23 and I have AIG...no points no accidents, $2400. How is Pong's cheaper than mine..Pong...you have PM.

2.0L Monster
04-07-2004, 05:01 AM
New Jesery, Insurance fraud capital of the world. :tongue:

HondCivc91
04-07-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by 2.0L Monster
New Jesery, Insurance fraud capital of the world. :tongue:

oh i hear ya. nothing beats the feeling of just being raped of money.

Keeyu
04-07-2004, 08:00 AM
I am 24 but I am under my Dad's insurance so I pay around 1200 a year for full coverage.

halos02Si
04-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by USAFHondaguy
Keep in mind you can only have USAA if you're military or a dependent.

true....i was only stating what i pay and what insurance company i use....jersey gets screwed no matter what because the rates are so high...just look around to get the best deal

-breandly

priest6479
04-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Buy Lube!

jimmied
04-07-2004, 08:49 PM
i might pay about $1200 (+-)a year for full coverage on my ep lease!!! but i am 26 with multi car discount, long term customer disc, and homeowners discount. no points.

but send me a private message email if you are selling your 91 hatch, i am looking for a car for work

HondCivc91
04-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by priest6479
Buy Lube!

i've tried.

gregy
04-07-2004, 11:19 PM
NJM is the best insurance company in New Jersey. Not everyone qualifies for them and can even get in if they do qualify. They are the best at paying claims, that's as important as the rates. You can verify this by asking any auto body shop. They deal with insurance claims every day of the week and they all rank NJM #1. If you get in, the rates are amoung the best in New Jersey. Also you will get a 10% rebate back each full year with your policy, they call it a dividend. I have my 02 EP, I am in my low 30's and I pay 7 and change for full coverage and I dont have the minimums either. If you own your own home that also factors in to the rate as do other things. I also have another car which is much more but my primary car is the EP, the other car is a 996TT. I pay twice as the EP for that. Good luck.

HondCivc91
04-08-2004, 12:21 PM
gregy - thanks for all the info. My mom gets NJM thru the company she used to work for the past 19 years. She left that place a year or so ago however her and I were able to keep NJM because of my mom's clean record and the fact she's been with them for so long. In other words, we were grandfathered in. I don't own a home, rent or anything. I'm either up at college or at home. I'm 19 years young and I get a good student discount, driving school discount, and security discount for using the CLUB (lol - I just use it for college but hey - I get 5% off my insurance yearly because of it). When I purchase the Si my mom is going to co-sign and I will continue to stay under her insurance so it can be cheaper for me.

How much of the $7k a year that you pay is for the EP? Thanks a bunch!

gregy
04-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but i meant 700, not 7K. I would also suggest taking the defensive driving course, it is usually 55 bucks but will save you that in 1 year if not more. Get this before you get your new policy, if you get it later it will apply the next year. Most people are not able to get into NJM so consider yourself one of the luckier NJ drivers. Just try to stay away from getting tickets and your insurance will at least not increase. Good luck.

HondCivc91
04-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks - wow only $700, that's definatley cheap! Thanks for the tip on the defensive driving course, maybe it would be worth it to take it ... I'll have to ask if they would give me another reduction other than the driving school one. My luck since I took driving school that would make me ineligable for defensive driving. They did that to me the first two years I had insurance - they couldn't give me a good student discount because I was a male. (?) Who knows.

My dad who has a seperate policy with NJM and has a few tickets against him that I know of. One good thing about tickets and NJM is that they will not increase rates for anything under than 6 pts. A warning is issued after 4 and they cut you off the policy any more than 6 pts. Not that I'm going to go out and speed because they give that leway, but it's good to know if (knock on wood) I ever do get any points.

Thanks for the input again, it helps alot! :)

gregy
04-08-2004, 02:46 PM
They are also one of the few companies that will not hold accidents that are not your fault against you. I was hit in the rear a while back and the person that hit me had Progressive Insurance. Progressive would not pay out what the estimate was, so I had NJM pay for it. They paid 100% of that amount and got it all back from Progressive through a process called subrogation. They even paid me my deductable back.

If you ever get into an accident, take it to the best possible place. Best places dont need to advertize, word of mouth or references from boards such as this one is the best resource in finding a good place. You will not be paying for it if it is not your fault. Its not about saving money, it is about making the car as good as it was pre-accident.