PDA

View Full Version : Grinding 2nd

02Si-lver
04-06-2004, 09:34 PM
I'd like to know if you can ruin your transmission simply by grinding gears really hard twice. Not serious enough to make you cringe and bite your lip but, I need help with this. Now, everytime I redline in a race and shift to second there are times where it catches and where it grinds for a split second. I wanna know whats going on with my car........any suggestions.

vasi
04-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 02Si-lver
any suggestions.

Don't redline.

the JigGa mAn
04-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by vasi
Don't redline.

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

yeah dont redline

03SiBlack
04-06-2004, 10:44 PM
its a common problem around here. Bring your car into honda and tell them it grinds once in a while but dont say anything about redline they will prob say your abusing it. Theirs a lot of people with ep's that are having grinding problems so your not alone.

02Si-lver
04-07-2004, 10:02 PM
I KNOW there WAS something wrong with my 2nd gear and how it grinded once in a while but now it doesn't grind anymore.....strange.

I found this out in a race against a four-door automatic neon. I know the driver of the neon and he had been talking alot of smack about whoopin' me in a race. He pull up next to me today after work and challenged me. I couldn't resist and we took off. His take off was no faster than a lawnmower's and I peeled out hard. Suddenly that fear of grinding went away because there was no way in hell I could let a stock NEON AUTOMATIC beat me. I shifted to second and chirped my tires with ease. During the entire race he never gained on me. Suddenly he disappeared and faded in my rearview.....I guess it was my driving skills that made me grind. On my way home I had gone down a vacant road out in the boonies where no cops were to catch me. I tested my car atleast 12 times and my second no longer grinds. Not only that but I shift alot faster now. Now I know...if I ever grind it must be me and I won't ever let it happen again!:smilem: I guess it's the adrenaline that makes me love streetracing so much.

WikedEP3
04-07-2004, 11:31 PM
If you take your car to a honda dealer about a grinding issue in the transmission it can be denied due to abuse. I just did an 03 civic today and it is easy to tell that the guy had been out racing and grinded third bad. 4 grand his way and I will rebuild his tranny. to bad cuz it only has 11000 miles on it. So just so you know we do know if the car has been abused, its easy to tell:D

jaydub
04-08-2004, 06:42 AM
Like Honda can't just do a scan and see that your car was redlined... duh.

Yeah the could easily deny the warranty claim due to abuse, and posting about racing isn't so bright considering that MY dealership people actually hang around many car forums.

Mugen Power
04-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by WikedEP3
If you take your car to a honda dealer about a grinding issue in the transmission it can be denied due to abuse. I just did an 03 civic today and it is easy to tell that the guy had been out racing and grinded third bad. 4 grand his way and I will rebuild his tranny. to bad cuz it only has 11000 miles on it. So just so you know we do know if the car has been abused, its easy to tell:D

It's just too bad that the dealers I took mine to wouldn't even look at it so they couldn't even tell if I abused it (not that I did). :rolleyes:

Adubb
04-08-2004, 11:19 AM
hey, mine does that from time to time.. but i think it's just me.. make sure that when u shift. that u push the clutch ALL the way in.. I think thats the big prob. w/ me.. I shift to fast, but my foot isnt pushing the clutch in fast enough.. LOL.. just my .02.. cya

EtherGhost
04-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
Like Honda can't just do a scan and see that your car was redlined... duh.

Yeah the could easily deny the warranty claim due to abuse, and posting about racing isn't so bright considering that MY dealership people actually hang around many car forums.

Does the ECU actually keep track of redline/rev limiter?

Stoop
04-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Damn street racers!!:mad:

That's why my insurance rates keep going up, because of kids who think street racing is fun and keep getting into (or causing) wrecks due to inexperience.

Take it to the track if you wanna race.:mad:

Mugen Power
04-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by EtherGhost
Does the ECU actually keep track of redline/rev limiter?

I believe these newer ones can. One of the techs at the dealers I took it to told me that they can when I brought it in for grinding. He was assuming that I was at fault for it. :rolleyes:

Adubb
04-08-2004, 03:44 PM
maybe they cant.. but they want u to think they can.. sort of a way to get out of warrantying ur car? sounds like a shady thing to do.. but if a company can save a buck, then why not, right?

But then again.. mabye they can.. and in that case.. i'm fucked! :D

Me ep3
04-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Just droped my car off on monday for some small things told them about the 2-3-4 shift grind and now no ? asked there slaping a brand new trans in not a rebuilt one. dam this is great :eek: ;) :D

Mugen Power
04-08-2004, 03:54 PM
I've read a lotta articles and such saying how a lotta cars nowadays have black box type things in the ECU that can record this stuff so I'm just going to assume that the one in our cars can. But hey, I have nothing to hide and I told it to him. He could check mine all he wants.

WikedEP3
04-08-2004, 05:56 PM
That is surprising they are replacing it because every trans I have ever had an issue with at honda I have had to rebuild every single time. I wish I could just throw a new trans in, the r&r and rebuild only pays me 6 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pisses me off........Also our PGM Tester and the HOM WILLNOT tell me if you have hit the rev limiter, but if I am told to send the ecu overnight to honda of america and it comes back to me with a NO WARRANTY TRANS REBUILD.......you gotta know they can see if it was overreved.

WikedEP3
04-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Mugen Power
It's just too bad that the dealers I took mine to wouldn't even look at it so they couldn't even tell if I abused it (not that I did). :rolleyes:

That is wierd they wouldnt look at it for a trans concern, dealerships are always willing to take your money.

Mugen Power
04-08-2004, 06:04 PM
That might have something to do with the fact that I was and still am well within warranty range and quite possibly that I'm young and they assume that I'm a street racer and try to be fast and furious. :rolleyes:

Who knows? I just want to get it fixed and hope that if I get it fixed, it won't happen again.

WikedEP3
04-08-2004, 06:17 PM
I had an 03 as well as my 02, this was before I worked for Honda, I heard a noise in the tranny that they said was normal and the 03 trans blew up on my wife while she was driving, Honda bought it back and now we have an 02 ep3 and an 03 accord sedan cm6 if your at all familiar..