PDA

View Full Version : New to boost, Help

fsugatorbait
04-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Alright guys, the summer months are fast approaching and I have been saving for boost for a while now, however, I was originally going to go with the JRSC, now im leaning towards the greddy kit. I have yet to own a non stock turbo car before and want to be absolutely sure I dont get in over my head. Ive nailed down the kit im going with, but am unsure of all the maintenance that goes along with it. Ive budgeted for the complete Greddy kit with IC, BOV, gauges, big brake kit, and Hondata K-pro and will upgrading my tranny to the type S Centerforce dual friction clutch, Type R flywheel, and Type R LSD. With that said, what else am I missing? What should I be ready for? Is there scheduled maintenance that I should be aware of?...etc? Im not one to openly talk about what I plan to do but its come time that I need your guys help to make sure ill be ready for the commitment. I appreciate your comments and suggestions.:cool:

EPHatchgirl
04-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan, and have your parts figured out well. The only thing that I can think of maintnence wise is spark plugs- I changed mine to NGK VPower 4091 plugs (they handle rich and lean conditions a lot better than normal plugs). Also, as the "Head Domestic E-Thug" taught me- ALWAYS prime your turbo when changing your oil. You remove the ECM fuse and crank your engine. It won't turn over, but it will circulate oil through the turbo. Also, when you change your oil, it's a good idea to check your connections and lines for any signs of age or road wear, just to be on the safe side.Besides that, enjoy your boost!!

fsugatorbait
04-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by EPHatchgirl
Sounds like you have a good plan, and have your parts figured out well. The only thing that I can think of maintnence wise is spark plugs- I changed mine to NGK VPower 4091 plugs (they handle rich and lean conditions a lot better than normal plugs). Also, as the "Head Domestic E-Thug" taught me- ALWAYS prime your turbo when changing your oil. You remove the ECM fuse and crank your engine. It won't turn over, but it will circulate oil through the turbo. Also, when you change your oil, it's a good idea to check your connections and lines for any signs of age or road wear, just to be on the safe side.Besides that, enjoy your boost!!

Good suggestions about the plugs and primming. Im sure ill hear from E on this ( :p ) but when you prime it, is it to remove the old oil from inside the turbo or to circulate the new oil into the turbo before starting the car? And on the topic of changing oil, ive read that some people change it after 2k miles while other wait for 3k-5k. Any thoughts? Thanks for you help girl. :)

esmith13
04-07-2004, 01:32 PM
What makes you think you'll hear from me?? :p

Seriously tho - i learned my shit from Jules - if she's on the ball helpin ya out - you don't need me. ;) If you have any other questions and can't get answers - I'd be happy to answer them or call a friend who can.

My only two cents is that I'm one of the lazy bastards that still does oil changes every 3,000-3,500mi even with the turbo. It has never been worse for the wear - but I also use oil additives as extra TLC.

Eric

andy
04-07-2004, 01:33 PM
I never primed anything on my WRX when changing the oil, but then
again it was a stock setup. I haven't heard of anyone "priming" it
when they changed to a bigger turbo setup, though. fwiw.

Anyway, budget/schedule in some dyno/track time, if you haven't already. You'll definitely want/need that with the K-pro.
Also...oh, n/m, you did mention gauges (k-pro will probably give you
all the info you'll need and more, just won't be able to read it
on the fly).

oogy-boogy
04-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
........With that said, what else am I missing?
What should I be ready for?.......I appreciate your comments and suggestions.:cool:

:eek:

1. A credit card with a large limit.
2. Mel asking you for a ride.

:D

Nah, jk......Sounds like one hell of a project. Can't wait to check it out :).

fsugatorbait
04-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
What makes you think you'll hear from me?? :p

Seriously tho - i learned my shit from Jules - if she's on the ball helpin ya out - you don't need me. ;) If you have any other questions and can't get answers - I'd be happy to answer them or call a friend who can.

My only two cents is that I'm one of the lazy bastards that still does oil changes every 3,000-3,500mi even with the turbo. It has never been worse for the wear - but I also use oil additives as extra TLC.

Eric

Lol...I was referring to Jules reference of the Domestic E thug comment, I figured she was talking about you.:cool:

I am mainly concerned with all the talk about how turbo cars are a constant money pit and require alot of work to maintain. Is there any truth to this? What are the turbo guys talking about.

esmith13
04-07-2004, 01:42 PM
To the best of my knowledge the priming has to do with a N/A car getting a turbo. The point on the engine we tap for oil was not designed to regulate an oil preassure to the turbine as nothing is usually there. Even if you upgrade a stock turbo precautions are taken by the auto manufacturer to guarantee oil flow and preassure as needed in general for a turbo. Since the average turbo has an oil "fluid bearing" it's important for us civic owners to make sure oil is in their right away - not abter the car has been running 30 seconds already...

Eric

tcostello3
04-07-2004, 01:44 PM
And on the topic of changing oil, ive read that some people change it after 2k miles while other wait for 3k-5k. Any thoughts? Thanks for you help girl. :)

I'm n/a and already change mine between 2-2.5k, always have. The harder & hotter you drive the faster you'll break an oil down.

You can feel when you NEED a change if you notice those things & poor gas mileage is a good tip also.

BTW..good info. in this post. I'll be boosting soon also:)

fsugatorbait
04-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by andy
Anyway, budget/schedule in some dyno/track time, if you haven't already. You'll definitely want/need that with the K-pro.
Also...oh, n/m, you did mention gauges (k-pro will probably give you
all the info you'll need and more, just won't be able to read it
on the fly).

Andy, good point for down the road, however, the thing with the K-pro is that it will already come with the greddy flash preloaded (you can specify what program for it to come with). I just would like the flexibility if I decide to upgrade down the road or fine tune the flash for my particular setup.

fsugatorbait
04-07-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy

1. A credit card with a large limit.
2. Mel asking you for a ride.

:D

Nah, jk......Sounds like one hell of a project. Can't wait to check it out :).

LOL, no credit card; savings and student loan. ;)

A ride? how bout I let you drive ;), how's that sound E? :cool:

j/k

oogy-boogy
04-07-2004, 02:11 PM
LOL, no credit card; savings and student loan. ;)

A ride? how bout I let you drive ;), how's that sound E? :cool:

j/k

Hmmm......I sure hope I don't run out of lock tight on Saturday :p

fsugatorbait
04-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
Hmmm......I sure hope I don't run out of lock tight on Saturday :p

So you prefer Guiness right?:cool:

EPHatchgirl
04-07-2004, 03:04 PM
:D I was talking about 87GN- he IS the domestic E-Thug in charge around here, right???

I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil, but I still change mine right at 3k every time, and haven't had any problems.

Glad to help, let me know if I can help anymore.;)

anjapower
04-07-2004, 03:53 PM

Shit, I better order that K20a soon!

:angel:

esmith13
04-07-2004, 05:59 PM
In a nut shell Phil - if you follow the owners manual after you turbo - it will be a money pit.

If you keep up on the oil and plug changes and get a dyno tune once a year or so and warm the car up in the winter before boosting and cool it down after a drive before shutting it off the only thin you need to worry about is overboosting by accident and finding out the recommended service interval for the turbine you get.

Get a boost guage and make sure it's installed on a GOOD vaccum line so it's accurate and just ask greddy when they reccomend service on their turbine itself and you'll be fine. The service interval should be like 30,000mi or higher so don't get worried. Over boosting is bad and dumping in excess fuel when the turbo dosen't spool right from exceding the milage without servicing it is bad.

The rest really is just babying the car like you probably do now...

Eric

fsugatorbait
04-08-2004, 05:50 AM
Exactly the info I was looking for :). When you say servicing, do you mean something similar to a rebuild of the turbine?

esmith13
04-08-2004, 06:36 AM
similar, but probably not as expensive as a full rebuild.

When it's time to get mine rebuilt I may just have it upgraded to ball bearing at that point to get more uumph outta it. I can probably apply the cost of the service to the upgrade - or so I hope...

Eric

zeroz52
04-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Ive budgeted for the complete Greddy kit with IC, BOV, gauges, big brake kit, and Hondata K-pro and will upgrading my tranny to the type S Centerforce dual friction clutch, Type R flywheel, and Type R LSD. With that said, what else am I missing?

Are these Tranny upgrades pretty mandatory when u go turbo? Or are they more of a recommendation? Also, if they are needed, can you go for a little while without the tranny upgrades, or should you plan for everything at once.

esmith13
04-10-2004, 01:29 PM
you don't need to upgrade the tranny. A new clutch is recommended but not required for stage I. A LSD is recommended if you want better traction. None of these are NECESSARY if your going stage I, and only the clutch is necessary for stages II and above. But if your shooting to have the fastest EP around you will need them both ;)

I have none of them now and am fine - if that makes you feel better...

Eric

bioevolve
04-10-2004, 01:49 PM
fsugatorbait, post some pics when it's in. ;) :D Do a write up if you are installing it yourself.:angel:

zeroz52
04-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Thnx for the info, I would be getting them when i go boost. Now I can upgrade boost first then worry about tranny.

fsugatorbait
04-12-2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by bioevolve
fsugatorbait, post some pics when it's in. ;) :D Do a write up if you are installing it yourself.:angel:

Im 95% sure ill be installing the turbo myself, but have yet to do any tranny work so that will be left up to the pros.
Off topic, ill be making my annual road trip to FLA august 14-22nd and would like to meet up with some of the heavy hitters down there for a get together. If your able to meet up, id sure as hell like to check out your ride. There should be a b16b motor in the group im going down with as well. :cool:

fsugatorbait
04-12-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by zeroz52
Are these Tranny upgrades pretty mandatory when u go turbo? Or are they more of a recommendation? Also, if they are needed, can you go for a little while without the tranny upgrades, or should you plan for everything at once.

Like E said, its not mandatory, but Id like to take care of everything at one shot. Unexpected down time due to overworked OEM parts is something I cant have. This is my daily driver as well as weekend rally car so I have to consider all angles.:)

bioevolve
04-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Im 95% sure ill be installing the turbo myself, but have yet to do any tranny work so that will be left up to the pros.
Off topic, ill be making my annual road trip to FLA august 14-22nd and would like to meet up with some of the heavy hitters down there for a get together. If your able to meet up, id sure as hell like to check out your ride. There should be a b16b motor in the group im going down with as well. :cool:

That'll be kewl, just post in the FL section and PM me ahead of time and well make a meet.:D