PDA

View Full Version : are you guys welling to buy a damaged si?

ace
04-07-2004, 04:07 PM
hey, i am found a 02 si , has only 8k miles, and is selling for only 10k, but it is a salavage car. the dealer told me that the car got hit at the back, but already fixed. what do you guys think?? should i get this car or not?? give me some opinions.. thanks a lot...

Soon2beEP3
04-07-2004, 04:09 PM
I would, but that's me.

i-vtec04si
i would if its fixed and runs good. low miles low price i say go for it

USAFHondaguy
If there's any frame damage, then no. If not, go for it, sounds like a sweet deal to me.

RacingCivicSi02
04-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by USAFHondaguy
If there's any frame damage, then no. If not, go for it, sounds like a sweet deal to me.

siver-SI
04-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by USAFHondaguy

I 3rd that. I would say work them down to 9k.

pedzola
04-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Doesn't a car have to be "totalled" to get a salvage title?

DavidT
04-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Ask if the dealer has the receipts of the repair done. That will well you how much damage the car sustained. Most importantly, when you drive it. Make sure it tracks and drives straight down a straight road and doesn't pull or drive choppy.

I'm thinking if an insurance company is willing to salvage out an EP, the repairs will be over 10-12k using OEM parts. That's a lot of damage :o

USAFHondaguy
04-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by pedzola
Doesn't a car have to be "totalled" to get a salvage title?

No

pedzola
04-07-2004, 05:00 PM
My car was quoted at 10k of damage and I didn't get a salvage title. :blushm:

In all honesty I would have never bought a previously damaged car before this incident, but now I definitely would. My car is like brand new... they replaced all the broken parts and there was no effect to the driving, no funny noises, nothin at all...

it was all cosmetic damage though pretty much. I would drive it before you go negotiating a price mang...

Cause if my car wasn't "salvage" at 10k, that one must have had more damage than that... which is pretty serious...

USAFHondaguy
04-07-2004, 05:05 PM
My Del Sol was given a "Rebuilt Title" before I got it. It was in some kind of minor accident with cosmetic damage that was fixed. No worries buying a damaged car.

bobdobbs
04-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by pedzola
In all honesty I would have never bought a previously damaged car before this incident, but now I definitely would.
Yeah, but you know who did the work. They did it with insurance money and presumably it was done right. If you have problems with paint adhesion, panel fit, corrosion, etc., you know who to go back to. The problem with buying a salvage car from a dealer is you don't know what kind of job they did to get it looking sellable. And, if they're selling it for $10,000 you gotta wonder how they could have put potentially several thousand dollars into it and still be making money. I'd walk quickly away from this one.

shimmy_yaz
04-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Yeah, but you know who did the work. They did it with insurance money and presumably it was done right. If you have problems with paint adhesion, panel fit, corrosion, etc., you know who to go back to. The problem with buying a salvage car from a dealer is you don't know what kind of job they did to get it looking sellable. And, if they're selling it for $10,000 you gotta wonder how they could have put potentially several thousand dollars into it and still be making money. I'd walk quickly away from this one.

I agreee 100% with this. A dealership is not going to make sure the car is good, they just wanna make it look good and make a few bucks. Why settle for a salvaged car for a cheap price and end up getting screwed in the end and stuck with a POS. If you want an EP just go out spend the money and get a good reliable one thta isn't gonna turn around a be nothing but a pain in the ass and in the shop all the time.

ace
04-07-2004, 06:50 PM
hey ! guys, thanks for all the helps, all the opinions are great, and i will keep them in maind when i make my decision..
;)

513n179
04-07-2004, 06:53 PM
i wouldn't buy it... anything that is damaged and repaired is never the same.

Brettnyt
04-07-2004, 06:54 PM
I would'nt buy a damaged EP.... I already have a perfectly good one... :D

Stealth Wedgy
04-07-2004, 08:28 PM
I just bought a Salvage Civic for 8600 with 20 thousand miles.

There are other factors involved in purchasing a reconstructed car.

Such as do they have a reconstructed title or is it Salvage?

Where was the car damaged (state not location on the car)?

What State do you live in? Some are harder than others if you need to get the reconstructed title yourself

Keep in mind you need to pay sales tax on that 10k

If you have any spacific questions regauridn the process of retitiling, please feel free to Email or AIM me

Stealthag@aol.com
or
StealthAg

gregy
04-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Couple of other things to consider when you get a salvage car:

1.It could possibly not have the manufacturers warantee, should look into this and verify.
2.The VIN number will change to a salvage VIN number
3.It will be an AS IS purchase with no recourse, if the repairs are not high quality and it comes apart, thats your problem.
4.Resale value will be a joke, no dealer will touch the car. If they sell u a unsafe car (for example non-working air bags), they could be liable. They will not take that chance. If they take it they will wholesale it out and give you a joke ass price.
5.You might need to go to your local states inspection to get a title so the car can be registered, this could take some time.
6.Insurance companies will do anything to not total a car, it has to be pretty bad (frame damage) for them to total it out. Each insurance company has different criteria before they total it, but they do that as a last resort.
7.Some insurance companies do not like to insure a salvage car, some dont care, others are a pain about it. What happens is when you call in for insurance, that salvage vin does not come up in their computer so they send it to underwriting. If it goes that route, it is automatically going to be a little higher than normal, they could simply say no as well.

Good luck.

Stealth Wedgy
04-08-2004, 07:47 AM
i dunno what state you are in gregy, but the vin has nothing to do with the status of the vehicle.

Unless you mean that they use the Vin to research the title.

Even then, its not a Salvage title, it is reconstructed.

Salavage Title vehicles cannot be driven on the road until they have had the paper work filed and achieve a Reconstructed title.

As for insurance companies, a reconstructed title is the same to them as a "specialy constructed" title. Meaning if your insurance company will insure a hot rod, they will insure your reconstructed vehicle.

ON a value note, run your car through kelly blue book, use thier "custom" setting to deteremine the condition. In that setting you can tell them it has a reconstructed title and they will tell you the value of the car.

Easiest way to get a good idea of what you should pay, take Dealer trade in value + Private Party Value & devide by two.

Gregy...my info only applies to PA state, but he should contact his local DMV office to find out for his state

gregy
04-08-2004, 07:59 AM
I am in New York and it is a pain here. They issue you a different VIN when the car has passed inspection for a title. Insurance companies usually look up the VIN's and these dont show up in their database. Thats where the problem lies because they have a hard time determining what car it is that they are insuring. There are some states that do not have salvage laws. That means you can buy an insurance loss car and get a clear title.

Stealth Wedgy
04-08-2004, 08:07 AM
NY is actually the worst state to buy a salavge car from.

For ONE simple reason, thier salvage titles are HAND WRITTEN. And most insurance companys/DMVs dont trust them so you have to have lots of proof that its valid.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-08-2004, 08:58 AM
too much...when you go to sell it it wont be worth shit w/ a salvage title...not to mention if it was creamed that bad im SURE it had frame damage and it will never drive the same...