PDA

View Full Version : Sway bar Help??

EP_404349
04-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Hey guys... I was wondering if you guys can help explain to me which sway bar would be the best for our cars...??? also can someone explain to me why some say that CTR are good...??? why not neuspeed or progessive or any other aftermarket company??? thanks...

03silverEP
04-08-2004, 12:16 PM
can't say there's a best but...

RSX-S sway 19mm $60-$75
CTR sway 22mm $100-$125
Progress 22mm $160 (includes tiebar)
Neuspeed 22mm $250 (includes tiebar)

the progess bar is prob the best bang for the buck, www.tornactive.com sells them and gives 5% off to ephatch members

I have the 22mm neuspeed sway/tiebar combo and it does make a difference, the rear end rotates out much easier now.

RockEP_SS**
04-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Yo, where in SoCal are you? We have the progress rear sway in stock. Gimme a call if your interested.

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

TezGari
04-08-2004, 01:35 PM
http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP3_S_SWAYBAR_R

Check that page out (also the other kool installs)....It will help with your install (some awsome guy did it)...;)

Also i like the RSX-S, not to shabby, but you wonder after having it for a while, "How would the CTR bar feel"?

I would like to have the 22mm now that i have had the 19mm for a couple of months. I think RS-bars are an awsome mod that is super easy to install!:D

the JigGa mAn
04-08-2004, 10:53 PM
MUGEN 25MM - cost alot

i got a question too...what does the tie bar doo??

Civicvtec1ps
04-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn

i got a question too...what does the tie bar doo??
Tie-bar eliminates the flexing in the low-mounted rear control arms to improve stability and handling.
Low tie bar doesnt do anything , terms of feels.

the JigGa mAn
04-08-2004, 11:42 PM
cool...how easy/hard is it to install one? the one i have in mind right now is the progress one

johnkimble
04-08-2004, 11:45 PM
progress rear bar pwns.. the "tie bar" (which isn't much of a bar at all, but a plate) seems to complete the fitment and finish to provide stability and reinforcement for the subframe as needed. its all about 3-wheelin that shit!

EP_404349
04-14-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by RockEP_SS**
Yo, where in SoCal are you? We have the progress rear sway in stock. Gimme a call if your interested.

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

What is your number and how much is it??? I still don't know if I want progress... if I get them... are yours with both sway bar and tie-bar???....

EP_404349
04-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by 03silverEP

RSX-S sway 19mm $60-$75
CTR sway 22mm $100-$125

the progess bar is prob the best bang for the buck, www.tornactive.com sells them and gives 5% off to ephatch members

I have the 22mm neuspeed sway/tiebar combo and it does make a difference, the rear end rotates out much easier now.

So your telling me that they are all the same basically... just the brand is different right???

johnkimble
04-14-2004, 07:12 AM
well yeah each design is going to vary a little bit but ctr/progress/neuspeed/comptech(?) are all 22mm so they're all going to yield similar results. they all have to fit the same things, subframe to endlinks to lca. as previously stated i thought the progress was the best bang for the buck, although i really have never dealt with progress parts before thats the only thing that made me a little sceptical of buying. after sucking it up and purchasing it, the install was pretty straight forward. it fits really well, just beware of taking the lca bolt out of place because those things like to move! :'(

klik
04-14-2004, 03:55 PM
why not go with the Eibach they run 250 for front and back, ask showstopper for further information.

johnkimble
04-14-2004, 07:59 PM
no tie bizzle

toe knee
04-14-2004, 10:59 PM
i remember seeing someone post that they got the progress rear sway bar shipped for 160...but i can't find the thread

EP_404349
04-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by johnkimble
well yeah each design is going to vary a little bit but ctr/progress/neuspeed/comptech(?) are all 22mm so they're all going to yield similar results. they all have to fit the same things, subframe to endlinks to lca. as previously stated i thought the progress was the best bang for the buck, although i really have never dealt with progress parts before thats the only thing that made me a little sceptical of buying. after sucking it up and purchasing it, the install was pretty straight forward. it fits really well, just beware of taking the lca bolt out of place because those things like to move! :'(

thanks...

SiGuy
04-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Where can I get a ctr rear sway? I've looked and searched but I can't find one!

cpu519
04-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by 03silverEP

RSX-S sway 19mm $60-$75
CTR sway 22mm $100-$125

One thing to keep in mind is the construction of the bar. All of the 22mm bars are hollow except for the Progress, the RSX sway is also hollow. A hollow bar is going to be somewhat less stiff than a solid bar, everything else being equal. I have the Neuspeed 27mm front, it's hollow as well. When I was researching this bar, Neuspeed said it is similar in stiffness to a 25mm solid bar. Think of the inside diameter of a hollow bar, the stiffness of that diameter bar is subtracted from the stiffness of a bar of the outer diameter.

I have the Progress rear, it's a good deal and performs great. But I found Neuspeed products are higher in quality. I would have gotten the Progess front (27mm, solid) for more stiffness but it doesn't have the clearance for my Jackson header.

EP_404349
04-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by cpu519
One thing to keep in mind is the construction of the bar. All of the 22mm bars are hollow except for the Progress, the RSX sway is also hollow. A hollow bar is going to be somewhat less stiff than a solid bar, everything else being equal. I have the Neuspeed 27mm front, it's hollow as well. When I was researching this bar, Neuspeed said it is similar in stiffness to a 25mm solid bar. Think of the inside diameter of a hollow bar, the stiffness of that diameter bar is subtracted from the stiffness of a bar of the outer diameter.

I have the Progress rear, it's a good deal and performs great. But I found Neuspeed products are higher in quality. I would have gotten the Progess front (27mm, solid) for more stiffness but it doesn't have the clearance for my Jackson header.

hmm... interesting... so Progress would be my best bet right? Also... do you have the jackson racing race header???

cpu519
04-21-2004, 07:39 PM
The Progress rear sway is a good deal but some have problems with it hitting the exhaust. I have the Greddy Evo and didn't have any problems, but I adjusted the exhaust hangers to raise it up a bit anyway.

Some have also had problems with the Progress bar and the stock endlinks, the ball joint pops out of the link. That happened to me also. I found the angle of the endlink from the control arm to the sway bar is too severe. The force isn't directed straight up but at an angle, that's what causes the ball to pop out of the endlink. I regreased the endlink and pressed the ball back in and was able to still use the grease boot. To lessen the angle I placed two washers on the upper endlink, there's no room for any more because of the length of the thread. That reduced the problem for now. There's no way to completely configure the endlinks so they are vertical, even with heim joints. As an ultimate solution, I'm going to make new endlink mounts for the lower control arms or have the sway bar endlink mount modified (I may as well have the sway bar endlink mount made adjustable for stiffness) and use heim joints. The mods will allow the heim joints to remain vertical and no spacers will be required like the Hotchkis kit.

Oh, Hotchkis has rear sway bars, the street bar is 25.4mm and adjustable and the race bar is 27mm and also adjustable. Both are hollow and only come in a set with a 25.4mm adjustable, hollow front bar. Hotchkis link (http://www.hotchkistuning.com/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=list&category=Shop%20by%20Make%3BAcura%3B2002%2B%20RSX)

I have the Jackson Racing race header with a high flow cat. It hit my stock front sway bar and required modding some aftermarket sway bar mounts for clearance. Now that I've installed the Neuspeed front, there's no more clearance problem and better handling as well. I'm going to post what I found with the header and the issues I had getting it to work.

johnkimble
04-21-2004, 08:46 PM
my exhaust / swaybar rattling quick fix :)

http://img49.photobucket.com/albums/v150/itsoweezy/IMGP0535.jpg

i havn't had any trouble with the end links (yet) -- had it on for about a month now.. i'll let the board know if i do

EP_404349
04-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by cpu519
I have the Jackson Racing race header with a high flow cat. It hit my stock front sway bar and required modding some aftermarket sway bar mounts for clearance. Now that I've installed the Neuspeed front, there's no more clearance problem and better handling as well. I'm going to post what I found with the header and the issues I had getting it to work.

Hey can you please tell me your set-up for the front... ??? the reason I'm asking is because of the jackson racing race header... you know the clearance problem... Can you please tell me what your set-up is and if the header still bangs on the sway bar... thanks a lot...

EP_404349
04-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by johnkimble
my exhaust / swaybar rattling quick fix :)

http://img49.photobucket.com/albums/v150/itsoweezy/IMGP0535.jpg

i havn't had any trouble with the end links (yet) -- had it on for about a month now.. i'll let the board know if i do

Hey what sway bar are you using??

trabadoo22
04-22-2004, 12:59 AM
cpu519, the endlink problem might be due to the bar being installed backwards. I remember someone on the boards here saying that installing the bar backwards could cause the endlinks to have an agressive angle or something. It sounds similar to your problem so I thought I would mention it. I'm not sure what was exactly said, but I'll try and find the thread if you want.

Also does anyone know if the Neuspeed rear sway bar hits the stock exhaust? I was all set to buy the Progress one, but may have to reconsider now. Thanks.

cpu519
04-22-2004, 08:52 AM
trabadoo22, I installed the bar the correct way and installed it upside down also just to see if it made a difference, I couldn't get the endlinks on properly with it upside down. When I was using an RSX bar the endlinks weren't angled that much. Before I did the fix with the washers, the sway bar would clunk when I drove up my driveway at a sharp angle. It clunked for a few times then stopped, the last was the loudest. I checked it a week later and found the endlink popped out. Since I did the washer fix it doesn't clunk anymore and seems to solved the problem. I have a spare endlink that I'll install, I don't want to have an already weakened part in such a crital area. I actually didn't realize the endlink had popped, my car swayed a little bit more and I drove it normally until I found out. I drove it for about two more weeks before I fixed it, no rear sway makes you drive more carefully and smoother to minimize body roll. But then again I drove an SUV for nine years so I know all about body roll!

johnkimble
04-22-2004, 09:50 AM
sorry about that, i'm using progress rear sway bar, spoon n1 exhaust/t1r bpipe. the little piece you see added is actually plumbing pipe insulation tubing attatched via c clamps..

as for the endlinks popping out, i'm surprised to hear that becuase the only noise i ever received from my bar was it hiting the exhaust a little bit. in fact last night after i read your post i got all concerned, went outside and jacked my car up, got under there and checked the endlinks. they're fine, no signs of cracking or excessive stress.. that is VERY strange.. perhaps its a defect in the endlinks? anyways keep in mind you can swap in a CTR bar in place of the progress bar, it will fit just the same (easier than toggling the endlinks like a mad man) and you can use the progress reinforcement plate ;)

Originally posted by EP_404349
Hey what sway bar are you using??

trabadoo22
04-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Ok, sorry about that cpu519. Just wanted to mention it in case it was an easy fix.

cpu519
04-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks for bringing that up trabadoo22, it's an important point with the stock and rsx bars because they have so many bends and it's possible to install it upside down.

I hope everyone's information helped you decide, EP_404349. Here are more articles about RSX suspension, same as Si.
http://www.ivtecdaily.com/rsx/articles.html

cpu519
04-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by EP_404349
Hey can you please tell me your set-up for the front... ??? the reason I'm asking is because of the jackson racing race header... you know the clearance problem... Can you please tell me what your set-up is and if the header still bangs on the sway bar... thanks a lot...

Here's what I did to get the Jackson header to stop rubbing - Neuspeed front sway installed.

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=425666#post425666