PDA

View Full Version : wheel hopping bad??/

LiLxKeNnY
04-07-2004, 08:43 PM
i was at te track today ... and i wheel hopped realli bad ... so bad that my rear view mirror was shifted!!!!

is this bad for my ep3???
wat does wheel hop damage???
can i break something???

BlackSi613nin
04-07-2004, 08:45 PM
wheel hop is very very bad, get some ES motor mount bushings, will mostly eliminate this... this can break your axels(i think), and your motor mounts

joHn

vasi
04-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Try harder that bitch will fall off. J/K

siver-SI
04-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by BlackSi613nin
wheel hop is very very bad, get some ES motor mount bushings, will mostly eliminate this... this can break your axels(i think), and your motor mounts

joHn

Yea I have heard those things go work wonders for that too.

YooShin
04-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Typically, (stiffer) motor mounts can make it worse to. What size wheel/tire are you running? It's common with large wheel & low profile tires w/ stiff side walls (205s-215s/40s-45s on 17s or anything 18"). Try out a 15" or 16" with a "soft" tire in the neighborhood of 205/60-225/50s. Wheel hop will tax the axels. These you can beef up to. Ask some of the dudes that are boosted.

siver-SI
04-07-2004, 09:04 PM
I have to ask how can it make it worse? There is less movement in the engine, trans, and axels to cause binding and stress on the parts.

Adubb
04-07-2004, 10:46 PM
you're prob is that ur taking off at a WAY too high of a rpm! take off around 1500-2000 rpms.. if ur worried about losing cuz u wont have power till the vtec band kicks in.. get the vtec controller.. then u'll have power the whole time! hope this helps.. cya

VividDreams
04-07-2004, 10:49 PM
heres how it makes it worse:

think of your drivetrain(engine, trans, axles, wheels, tires, and the ground) as one piece of steel round bar(like a torsion beam suspension, if youre familiar with that). when your engine revvs up, everything else must have some give in it so that something doesnt break. thats what SOFT engine mounts, and soft tires are for. say you get the motor mount inserts, thats like bolting your engine directly to your car, eliminating any shock absorbtion that the oem mounts gave. now, your motor mounts arent giving slack, and your trans and axles dont give much, so its left to your tires. the ground "never" moves(providing youre on pavement). therefore, your tires loose traction and spin. if the spinning cannot be controlled by your springs/shocks, the wheels are going to hop. this is bad on the axles, and the lower control arm(mainly the mounts) as well. and, contrary to popular beliefe, an Upper Strut Bar makes wheel hop WORSE, so that wont solve the problem either.

any questions?

hope that helps...

4g63dsm
04-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Adubb
you're prob is that ur taking off at a WAY too high of a rpm! take off around 1500-2000 rpms.. if ur worried about losing cuz u wont have power till the vtec band kicks in.. get the vtec controller.. then u'll have power the whole time! hope this helps.. cya you are a fucking idot, we don't have a cam change over. The VAFC does nothing for our cars you faggot. Also if you were racing why the fuck would you launch at 2000 rpm? It doesn't sound like you know anything about our engines or how to launch a car.

ATRIOT
04-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by 4g63dsm
you are a fucking idot, we don't have a cam change over. The VAFC does nothing for our cars you faggot

LOL Someone had to say it. Everyone was thinking it. (well we do have a cam lobe changeover at 2200rpm, and VAFC 2 is good for about 5hp in A/F tuning w/I/H/E.)

Adubb
04-07-2004, 11:39 PM
you are a fucking idot, we don't have a cam change over. The VAFC does nothing for our cars you faggot. Also if you were racing why the fuck would you launch at 2000 rpm? It doesn't sound like you know anything about our engines or how to launch a car.

Look here mother fucker.. u got somethin to say.. come to my house.. and i'll fuckin knock ur teeth in! Dont you EVER call me out, you lil bitch! FUCK YOU! He asked for people's opinions to help.. i gave mine.. u dont like what i wrote.. DONT READ IT.. douche bag!:mad:

hey listen, if your pussy's hurting.. then go rub it or something... dont take ur pussy achin anger out on me.. go finger urself..

idrive
04-07-2004, 11:44 PM
now now children... calm down... its almost NAP TIME! :cool:

4g63dsm
04-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Look here mother fucker.. u got somethin to say.. come to my house.. and i'll fuckin knock ur teeth in! Dont you EVER call me out, you lil bitch! FUCK YOU! He asked for people's opinions to help.. i gave mine.. u dont like what i wrote.. DONT READ IT.. douche bag!:mad:

hey listen, if your pussy's hurting.. then go rub it or something... dont take ur pussy achin anger out on me.. go finger urself.. you are right he did ask for people opinions to help him. You gave yours and nothing about it had any validity that would help him. Either way how would getting a vtec controller reduce wheel hop? I just wouldn't want anyone to take advice from a genius like you. Sorry i doubted your vast knowldge of the k20a3. haha. BTW what times are you running while launching at 2k and tuning your A3 VTEC to you have "power the whole time".

VividDreams
04-08-2004, 01:02 AM
if you get past all the name calling, there was a mature arguement there. in the end, fact for fact, 4G63 is correct

amctmg
04-08-2004, 04:13 AM
I've found that instead of dropping the clutch you let it out slow not too slow but just slow enough little practice and you will launch great with minimal wheel hop

siver-SI
04-08-2004, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by VividDreams
heres how it makes it worse:

think of your drivetrain(engine, trans, axles, wheels, tires, and the ground) as one piece of steel round bar(like a torsion beam suspension, if youre familiar with that). when your engine revvs up, everything else must have some give in it so that something doesnt break. thats what SOFT engine mounts, and soft tires are for. say you get the motor mount inserts, thats like bolting your engine directly to your car, eliminating any shock absorbtion that the oem mounts gave. now, your motor mounts arent giving slack, and your trans and axles dont give much, so its left to your tires. the ground "never" moves(providing youre on pavement). therefore, your tires loose traction and spin. if the spinning cannot be controlled by your springs/shocks, the wheels are going to hop. this is bad on the axles, and the lower control arm(mainly the mounts) as well. and, contrary to popular beliefe, an Upper Strut Bar makes wheel hop WORSE, so that wont solve the problem either.

any questions?

hope that helps...

Ok I get what you are saying. I would have to think there has to be a good inbetween though. With the OEM there is to much movement and they are softer to make the caben area with no vibration. I would like something stiffer, but not to the point of like directly bolting the engine to the frame.

chet
04-08-2004, 04:40 AM
I purchased a J's Racing engine damper last year. Basically cured all of my wheel hop. I have a turbo now, auto-x launching isn't the same as drag racing, obviously, but still no hop. Less than $200 from www.polepositionproducts.com (groupbuy price).

BlackSi613nin
04-08-2004, 06:23 AM
i have the ES mounts.. and i have absolutly no wheel hop yet! with the mounts in, the engine is pretty stiffly bolted to the chassis.. but there still is a very small amount of play. whwen i get wheel spin, they dont hop, just spin untill i get traction or let off the accelerator.

(and for onle 20 bux.. how can you go wrong?)

joHn

Adubb
04-08-2004, 10:24 AM
you are right he did ask for people opinions to help him. You gave yours and nothing about it had any validity that would help him. Either way how would getting a vtec controller reduce wheel hop? I just wouldn't want anyone to take advice from a genius like you. Sorry i doubted your vast knowldge of the k20a3. haha. BTW what times are you running while launching at 2k and tuning your A3 VTEC to you have "power the whole time".

look here.. to have a good launch, you dont want to spin the tires at all.. so u launch low enough so that u wont spin the whole fuckin race and lose, and also get a bad time.. and since our cars hit the powerband around 5000 rpms u wont have power/speed till then.. so my friend told me to get the vtec controller, in that case i could control when the vtec kicked in and make my civic have vtec ALOT sooner than 5000..
get that guy? ur such a fuckin fag.. go home dood..

amctmg
04-08-2004, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Adubb
[B]look since our cars hit the powerband around 5000 rpms u wont have power/speed till then.. so my friend told me to get the vtec controller, in that case i could control when the vtec kicked in and make my civic have vtec ALOT sooner than 5000..

our vtec kicks in at 2200 not 5000 I think thats soon enough

VividDreams
04-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by siver-SI
I would like something stiffer, but not to the point of like directly bolting the engine to the frame.

well, i was being a little drastic when i said that with the mount inserts you are bolting your engine to the chassis, i was just saying that for explanation's sake.

I purchased a J's Racing engine damper last year. Basically cured all of my wheel hop. I have a turbo now, auto-x launching isn't the same as drag racing, obviously, but still no hop.

i have the ES mounts.. and i have absolutly no wheel hop yet! with the mounts in, the engine is pretty stiffly bolted to the chassis.. but there still is a very small amount of play. whwen i get wheel spin, they dont hop, just spin untill i get traction or let off the accelerator.

look, im not saying that youre wrong, but getting the engine damper is similar to getting the mount inserts.

besides, no one gets wheel hop everey time they launch/spin the tires. it depends on condidtions.

4g63dsm
04-08-2004, 02:07 PM
look here.. to have a good launch, you dont want to spin the tires at all.. so u launch low enough so that u wont spin the whole fuckin race and lose, and also get a bad time.. and since our cars hit the powerband around 5000 rpms u wont have power/speed till then.. so my friend told me to get the vtec controller, in that case i could control when the vtec kicked in and make my civic have vtec ALOT sooner than 5000..
get that guy? ur such a fuckin fag.. go home dood.. Are you slow or something? Once again you have exhibited your indefatigale ability to be an ignorant retard. Never give technical advice to anyone on this board agian. We don't have real VTEC! it kicks in at 2200 rpm! Both you and your friend know nothing about our cars. I give up trying to explain you are obviously brain dead, it's scary that they allow someone of your intelligence to get behind the wheel of a car. Just go buy a "vtec controller" for your car and have your all knowing friend "tune" it so that you can control when your VTEC engeages.hahahaha then launch at 2000 rpm, your car will be unstoppable.

amctmg
04-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Are you slow or something? Once again you have exhibited your indefatigale ability to be an ignorant retard. Never give technical advice to anyone on this board agian. We don't have real VTEC! it kicks in at 2200 rpm! Both you and your friend know nothing about our cars. I give up trying to explain you are obviously brain dead, it's scary that they allow someone of your intelligence to get behind the wheel of a car. Just go buy a "vtec controller" for your car and have your all knowing friend "tune" it so that you can control when your VTEC engeages.hahahaha then launch at 2000 rpm, your car will be unstoppable.

Ur like intelligent and stuff

Adubb
04-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Are you slow or something? Once again you have exhibited your indefatigale ability to be an ignorant retard. Never give technical advice to anyone on this board agian. We don't have real VTEC! it kicks in at 2200 rpm! Both you and your friend know nothing about our cars. I give up trying to explain you are obviously brain dead, it's scary that they allow someone of your intelligence to get behind the wheel of a car. Just go buy a "vtec controller" for your car and have your all knowing friend "tune" it so that you can control when your VTEC engeages.hahahaha then launch at 2000 rpm, your car will be unstoppable.

spell much? by the way..my civic is better now.. than urs ever will be.. k guy?? K???

k thx bye

bobdobbs
04-08-2004, 02:23 PM
In before the lock... :D

Guys, cool it, it's just cars.

ATRIOT
04-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Hey Bob's, pssst dont ruin the fun!

the JigGa mAn
04-08-2004, 02:34 PM
sweet not locked yet..

mr. Adubb..4g63dsm is right getting a vtec controller in our cars would be pretty much pointless(besides adjusting a/f) unless you have a A2 or A head swap or A2 or A motor swaps...and i think hes trying to say that lauching at low rpms brings on the likely hood of bogging out....

hope that helps

4g63dsm
04-08-2004, 02:47 PM
spell much? by the way..my civic is better now.. than urs ever will be.. k guy?? K???

k thx bye wow... ok and my dad can beat up your dad. By the looks of it you'll be driving yours for the rest of your life.