PDA

View Full Version : Front License plate

Mickey
04-08-2004, 12:59 PM
If you dont want to put back the front license frame. Where would you put your license plate to avoid cops from pulling you over and how do you guys install it?:)

dj addicted
04-08-2004, 01:01 PM
well, here in florida.. we dont have front plates... but I believe you can have it inside in your windshield.. I've also seen a couple of people with the BCII body kit and they have the plate mounted in the front space.

i-vtec04si
04-08-2004, 01:05 PM
well i took the whole piece to hold a front license plate off.... and since u cant see where the bolts are i would just tell a cop there is no place to mount it. and put it in ur windshield. it looks alot better with no frontlicense plate imo

shimmy_yaz
04-08-2004, 02:29 PM
I think if i had to have a front plate I would just get a decal made that looks like my plate. Would look alot cleaner in my opinion and if a cop sees it they will most likely not even realize it isnt a plate.

New_One_03
04-08-2004, 07:28 PM
If you live in a state that mandates having a front plate, putting it in the front windshield wont work. They can still pull you over for that.

EtherGhost
04-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by New_One_03
If you live in a state that mandates having a front plate, putting it in the front windshield wont work. They can still pull you over for that.

Yeah, Minnesota law specifically states that you can't have anything, clear or otherwise, covering the plate.

skooba
04-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by shimmy_yaz
I think if i had to have a front plate I would just get a decal made that looks like my plate. Would look alot cleaner in my opinion and if a cop sees it they will most likely not even realize it isnt a plate.

Cops walk over to the front of the car most of the time when they pull you over to check for that. I've been pulled over 3 times (2 speeding, 1 expired registration). On 1 speeding ticket, they never said anything. 2nd speeding ticket, gave me a hassle about it, never did anything. 3rd ticket, same thing, hassle about it, no ticket.

Just say the piece broke off and you were on your way to the store to get it fixed. If they still give you a ticket, then fix it for a day, take a picture of it, and take it to court and it will get dismissed.

Putting it in the windshield is not a good idea. If you get into an accident, you have a very nice thin metal projectile flying right at your jugular vain. It's not worth it IMO. I put mine up in my visor and it's secured by the garage door opener.

k20hatch
04-08-2004, 07:40 PM
but I believe you can have it inside in your windshield..

Cant do that here either...I got pulled over for no front tag. They let me go so i went home and put it in the window. Still pulled me over. Then whipped out the zip ties.

SilverEpInDc
04-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
Cant do that here either...I got pulled over for no front tag. They let me go so i went home and put it in the window. Still pulled me over. Then whipped out the zip ties.

K20 I know u live in va but they cna t hastle u if its in ur window... and I know Skooba lives in Va too and Like him Ive gotten pulled over for speeding and they gave me a lil talk about it but then I got pulled over for not having it on and I showed the cop I had it and said that it falls out of the window and ill make sure i put it on and he let me go.

k20hatch
04-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by SilverEpInDc
K20 I know u live in va but they cna t hastle u if its in ur window... and I know Skooba lives in Va too and Like him Ive gotten pulled over for speeding and they gave me a lil talk about it but then I got pulled over for not having it on and I showed the cop I had it and said that it falls out of the window and ill make sure i put it on and he let me go.

Ya i guess the cops just like to hassle me. I was parked in front of my friends house washing the car once and a cop pulled over and had a talk with me about my front tag not being on there...I was like wtf...But i wish Va would just get rid of the rule in whole!

Mugen Power
04-08-2004, 08:05 PM
I don't know about other states but in NJ, the plates have to be a within a certain distance from the ground to be legal. I wish we didn't have front plates. It looks so much cleaner and I wouldn't have the wear marks on my bumper from the bracket if it wasn't required. :(

oogy-boogy
04-08-2004, 08:34 PM
1. Take off the OEM bracket and metal tapped tabs. It will ruin your front bumper after time (vibrations = abrasions)
2. Line up the plate to the front bumper where the holes are for the old bracket.
3. Drill 2 new holes in each top corner of the plate to match up with the OEM bumper holes.
4. Now, get a piece of foam that will run the bottom length of the plate. Trim it to size (not too thick).
5. Get a good adhesive (silicone based so it's flexible).
6. Glue the foam onto the back bottom of the plate (this will keep the bottom of the plate from vibrating on the bumper lip and prevent scratches).
7. Get 2 white thick zip ties (I used this color for MA plates as they're white).
8. Bend the ends on the zip ties some so that they look like a fish hook.
9. Feed them in through the front of the plate first and then through the bumper holes and back through the other tapped plate hole. Leave it loose. Do the same for the other side and then zip them both tight.

Tadaaa!!!!!!!
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzM5MTYyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg :cool:

HondCivc91
04-08-2004, 08:35 PM
Yeah in NJ you cannot have anything tinted or covering the plate either. I know my girlfriend's dads been pulled over numerous times in his avalanche because of the plates having a smoked plastic cover over them. i don't like the law either :(

Mugen Power
04-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Nice job, oogy-boogy. It's just not for me, I think it looks a little sloppy or out of place like that. Still, it's too late for me as I've already got the abrasions on my bumper. :'(

Cyrus
04-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Hey guys, this is kinda off the subject, but you know those aftermarket liscense plates that you get when you buy certain stuff? say i buy an injen CAI and i get one, should i throw it on, or throw it out?

Mugen Power
04-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Cyrus
Hey guys, this is kinda off the subject, but you know those aftermarket liscense plates that you get when you buy certain stuff? say i buy an injen CAI and i get one, should i throw it on, or throw it out?

Are you talking about a license plate frame or an actual plate? Regardless, do what you whatever makes you happy. I have a feeling that a good number of the people here will prefer the cleaner look of no company advertisements.

oogy-boogy
04-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Cyrus

No need to advertise for thieves my friend :)

Originally posted by Mugen Power
Nice job, oogy-boogy. It's just not for me, I think it looks a little sloppy or out of place like that. Still, it's too late for me as I've already got the abrasions on my bumper. :'(

Thanks. It took some getting used too. I just wanted to be different ;)

chubbychu
04-09-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by shimmy_yaz

HEY! thats my idea! you thief.

k20hatch
04-09-2004, 05:09 AM

plainol2k2si already had this done on the site and it Looks pretty damn cool if you ask me!

Mugen Power
04-09-2004, 05:19 AM
Please post pics of it!

BarracksSi
04-09-2004, 11:48 AM
My UK-skinny bent front plate hasn't gotten me any trouble yet, and it's been this way for nearly a year.

I had heard about other people doing it, and before I did it myself, I asked a parking officer about its potential legality. She told me, "As long as all the letters & numbers are visible, and they match the complete plate in the back, then it's fine."

How-To:
Fold back the top & bottom edges,
Zip-tie the holes to the slats in the lower grille.

Hopefully, Imagestation won't crap out on this one:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p631d10b30fc3715c1e10adbfca2cad7a/fb04e748.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid110/p16b163dad0f53970cfe9d22f112b74d6/f913b22c.jpg

... well, it's showing the first one, but not the second. I've had it. Clubphoto's a pain in the ass to try to upload stuff (they have some real work ahead of them in terms of user interface), but apparently it works. Thank you, Imagestation, for giving me a reason to waste my afternoon.

SiRacer03
04-09-2004, 01:17 PM
I want to see this. Go use either Superhonda's free upload service or use we-todd-did-racing.com's.

EtherGhost
04-09-2004, 01:42 PM
BarracksSi Imagestation page (http://www.imagestation.com/members/BarracksSi)

BarracksSi EPhatch Members Rides page (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=21013&highlight=barrackssi)

BarracksSi
04-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by EtherGhost
BarracksSi Imagestation page (http://www.imagestation.com/members/BarracksSi)

BarracksSi EPhatch Members Rides page (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=21013&highlight=barrackssi)

Thanks, EtherGhost --

On Retarded Racing ;) :
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzQ3NDMyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzQ3NDMxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

chubbychu
04-09-2004, 02:08 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid111/p0225809937798f6f4a8947de62392bf2/f912d7b5.jpg

here u go =o)

Mickey
04-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Plainol2k2si where is the link? No pics.
Thanks

chubbychu
04-09-2004, 07:51 PM
mickey, i dont know what wrong with me or my picture thing...but they never work for me. why dont you just go to my webshots and look at it.

http://community.webshots.com/user/chubbychu

Mickey
04-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks a lot. I found it and it is awesome. Where did you have it done? Are those stickers?:cool:

chubbychu
04-09-2004, 08:07 PM
the "california" letters are RAGE ITALIC ITC

and the numbers were scanned and cut out by the local vinyl sticker guy shop. =o)

the most complemented 20 bucks ive ever spent

BarracksSi
04-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Yup, I remember seeing that. Looks damn good, too. :)

trk
04-09-2004, 08:20 PM
I just folded about a quarter inch or so on each side over the lip of an aftermarket grill.

http://homepage.mac.com/tai/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2003-11-27%2010.00.41%20-0800/Image-0A6ECAA8210111D8.jpg

BarracksSi
04-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Also cool!

If I get a Grillcraft lower grille (or something similar... good idea considering how exposed the A/C condenser is), I'll either have to get a new front plate or I could route the zip ties through the grille itself.

trk
04-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
Also cool!

I could route the zip ties through the grille itself.

yep, but... maybe little hard to keep it tight enough with just zip ties.

BarracksSi
04-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by trk
yep, but... maybe little hard to keep it tight enough with just zip ties.

Yup, true. It's solid enough right now against the plastic slats, but I don't know how well it'll work with the aftermarket grille in between.

Maybe I could screw the plate onto the grille somehow. Whichever -- I haven't gotten it yet.. lol

Mugen Power
04-09-2004, 11:17 PM
I still like plainol2ksi's the best. I don't really like having the plate in the middle of the "mouth" like that and I don't wanna block the air to the radiator when I'm driving spiritedly. :D Still, mad props to you guys who did it that way. If I do the sticker method, mine will probably look even more authentic since I already have the outline of the plate frame etched onto my bumper. :'(

BarracksSi
04-09-2004, 11:25 PM
If I do the sticker method, mine will probably look even more authentic since I already have the outline of the plate frame etched onto my bumper. :'(

I haven't noticed any rise in engine temperature, but the longest it's been at speed was about 10 hours (with gas & bathroom breaks) on the interstate. That's a constant breeze, and any blockage wouldn't become a factor anyway. Things might be different at lower speeds, but I'm not worried because of how the radiator fan might run a bit more often if needed.

For the full 3-D effect, you could just mash the plate against the bumper (maybe soften the urethane with a heat gun for better definition), and put the vinyl numbers on the raised outlines. But, then you'd have to get a new bumper if your numbers change... ;) okay, that was silly...

chubbychu
04-09-2004, 11:52 PM
I still like plainol2ksi's the best. I don't really like having the plate in the middle of the "mouth" like that and I don't wanna block the air to the radiator when I'm driving spiritedly. :D Still, mad props to you guys who did it that way. If I do the sticker method, mine will probably look even more authentic since I already have the outline of the plate frame etched onto my bumper. :'(

haha thanks! yea, that was one of the reasons i took the plate bracket off because, it was eating away at my bumper, and it was always dirty around there. :bleck:

also, for you people with different colored ep's (IN CALI) MOST if not ALL vinyl shops have a REFLECTIVE WHITE colored vinyl. just a thought, but you could take a rectangle of that and cut it about the same size as a plate and than stick that onto the car before putting your letters on. =o) GOSH,i wish i could have patented this idea..i would be rich.

wh03lse
05-13-2008, 07:57 PM
couldnt find the answer but..
anyone have a front plate re-locator *like the password jdm ones* WITH the HFP kit? idk if there might be some fit issues rite there

post pics if u can plz thanks

socmex7
05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
do what i do. i HAVE the license plate holder in my car with only one bolt on it, i just say i lost a bolt and haven't gotten around to getting another one. worked twice for me since i've taken my plate off... and oh ya, i live in so cal...

chubbychu
05-13-2008, 09:22 PM
yaya back from the dead!

locoep3
05-13-2008, 09:51 PM
i did i just got the JUPAN adjust on so they leve me alone i hate it but its koo so they leve me alone

socmex7
05-13-2008, 09:54 PM
i feel like an idiot, i read the whole damn thread ad din't realize that it was from 2004... :mconfused: