PDA

View Full Version : an alignment needed???

LiLxKeNnY
04-08-2004, 08:33 PM
i jus lowered my car like 1.75 inches ... and i was curious if i needed an alignment ....

HOW IS AN ALIGNMENT DONE ANYWAYZ??? DO THEY ALIGN THE REAR???

the JigGa mAn
04-08-2004, 10:51 PM
any time you do stuff with your suspension you should get an alignment

EP3.. 2.. 1 GO
04-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Drive the car for about a week and then do an alignment. I would recomend camber kits, especialy rear.

darkvibe
04-09-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by EP3.. 2.. 1 GO
Drive the car for about a week and then do an alignment. I would recomend camber kits, especialy rear.

Instead of waiting a week, i would recommend 3000 miles to be sure the springs have settled, or less if you drive a lot with other people in the car. If you are like me 3000 miles is more than a week.

BlasTech
04-09-2004, 07:01 AM
I dont know anything about springs settling... but do drive it long enough to know you did the install right, and wont need to take it apart to fix something, then definitely get an alignment.

You will need a camber kit.

If they do the alignment properly, they will first do the rear wheels, then the front. dont just get a front-end alignment... the back toe and camber will be way off too.

abstrack
04-09-2004, 12:34 PM
should u get the camber kit 1st then do the alignment... or alignment then get the kit??

s10blazed
04-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Install all the parts first then get it aligned.

I;m not sure how far 1.75" throws out the alignment on your car but typically you should get it aligned IMMEDIATELY. Obviously if its not too far out of spec its not urgent. But if its off driving it 3000 miles isn't the best idea. Where ever you get it done SHOULD do the front and back. If you do not get a camber kit you may have to buy shims from the alignment place.

BlasTech
04-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Exactly, if your toe is off, a couple thousand miles will ruin your tires. Drive long enough to know you dont need to mess with it anymore, then get it aligned.

The camber kit comes before the alignment... it is there for the alignment tech to use to fix your camber.

Sirone
04-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by s10blazed
Install all the parts first then get it aligned.

I;m not sure how far 1.75" throws out the alignment on your car but typically you should get it aligned IMMEDIATELY. Obviously if its not too far out of spec its not urgent. But if its off driving it 3000 miles isn't the best idea. Where ever you get it done SHOULD do the front and back. If you do not get a camber kit you may have to buy shims from the alignment place.

I would certainly not try and drive it 3k's miles. Your going to have nicely worn inner tire's before you know it. I had a friend who did this a while back and he burnt through his tires in record time.. He did'nt even realize it until the tires were completely worn down on the insides(it's hard to see back there)

SI-lent
04-11-2004, 12:08 AM
i the sportline 1.5 and my cars cool. i went to my buddy at an alignment shop and he told me i didn't need one. if you did it right you shouldn't need it. my 2 cents.

Sirone
04-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by SI-lent
i the sportline 1.5 and my cars cool. i went to my buddy at an alignment shop and he told me i didn't need one. if you did it right you shouldn't need it. my 2 cents.

Did you already have the 18's on the car when you put the 1.5 drop on it? Prehapes that ofset the need for an alignment. 18's with 35 would seem like a larger overall diameter to ofset some of the 1.5 drop. Slap me if Im not making sense here.

SI-lent
04-11-2004, 10:24 AM
of course the offset is off but im broke buying all the mods i have. camber kit is next.