PDA

View Full Version : Painting my headlights...

Siman
04-09-2004, 03:22 PM
I am painting them....black housing, flat color...none of that shiny crap.

I am in the process of primering them today. The weather supposed to be bad sat/sun so i dont know if i will finish tommorow...

I have my car under a cover without the front bumper etc....funny looking.

I will post some pics up as soon as they are finished.

pretty easy...the most tedius part is takeing them apart after baking them(heating the silicone sealant up).

ask me some questions...LOL;)

Civicvtec1ps
04-09-2004, 03:28 PM
OEM sealent is bitch to get it off.
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzQwNDQyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
Painted with flat black paint.

AzN Si GuY
04-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Are there any other ways of heating up the sealant without baking them? I did this before and now I'm on my 2nd pair of headlights, because sealent got everywhere some on the front of the lens. And the bottom part of the lens melted. And when It was all back together, the area where you pull the lens apart it looked ghetto due to the sticky sealeant when I pryed it apart. Need info please.

Siman
04-09-2004, 05:08 PM
My brother had a type-s rsx, he painted the headlamps himself and didnt even touch the OEM sealant, just put the new RTV silicone over the old....he had no problems whatsoever..

I am going to do the same thing he did. I wont even try to pry off the old stuff, it will make a mess and end up looking like poopy.

the next to last coat of PAINT is on right now.

Oh, i didnt paint the side turning light part....i wanted the JDM look.

It should/might be done tommorow evening....depending on the weather.

AzN Si GuY, there is no other way to warm up the sealant other than the oven....I didnt put the temp on 250, hell no, i put the headlamp in the oven then heated it up with the headlamp inside. it heated up evenly that way. I took it out and tried to pry it apart 2 times before it would finaly come apart....its just tedious work....

I wouldnt dare take a flame thrower to it LOL.:D

I cant (really i can) wait till their done and on my car!

I AM FINALLY DOING THIS AFTER A YEAR OF ANTICIPATION!

Suk02Si
04-09-2004, 05:18 PM
You can always use a heat gun instead of the oven.

AzN Si GuY
04-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
You can always use a heat gun instead of the oven.

hmm, where do you get a heat gun and how much are they?

Siman
04-10-2004, 06:37 AM
get them at the local hobby store. they are about $25.

I forgot my brother has one, he use(d) it on his model R/C airplane wings.

Well I got the last coat of paint on last nite and they dried in my room......i kinda feel lightheaded LOL.

I just hope i have enough braincells left to complete my task....

what was i doing again?:confused:

the1986
04-10-2004, 12:35 PM
you really didnt need to primer it . . . i did this and it worked out just fine without primer. just make sure to tape if the area you dont want painted really well. btw, this is going to look sooooo good, i love mign soo much after i did this, it completely changes the car

-Teal

Siman
04-10-2004, 04:38 PM
well, i got them back together. The RTV silicone is drying....takes 1 hour....24 hours to cure totally.

In two hours i should have them on my car....they look really good already....

the only thing that bothers (bothering) me is that i still had alot of the OEM silicone around the housings, so when i put more on there i couldnt really clip the lense and the unit together all the way...I just shoved alot of silicone to fill in the gaps.....there is no way i will have condensation after that LOL:D

well, it should all go as planned after this, the installatino of the headlights and the bumper should take no more than 25-30 minutes....

I am soooo happy i have done this!;)

Siman
04-10-2004, 06:09 PM
there done and on my car!

THIS IS THE WAY THEY SHOULD OF LOOKED FROM THE FACTORY!!!!

they look sooo good know!

makes it look soo much more menacing!

I LOVE EM.

although its dark know and i cant take any pictures, I will take some tommorow.

till then!;) stay tuned:D

SiRacer03
04-10-2004, 06:18 PM
I was going to attempt to do this today but I backed out. I'm too afraid of moisture getting in them and having to do the process all over again.

fsugatorbait
04-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Siman
AzN Si GuY, there is no other way to warm up the sealant other than the oven....I didnt put the temp on 250, hell no, i put the headlamp in the oven then heated it up with the headlamp inside. it heated up evenly that way. I took it out and tried to pry it apart 2 times before it would finaly come apart....its just tedious work....

Its tedious because you didnt bake them at 250 degrees. If you did they would have come apart the first time.

STP03BlueSI
04-10-2004, 06:29 PM
I think I will just buy the JDM ones..Plus my oven isnt That big to hold the headlight.:(

the1986
04-12-2004, 04:33 PM
it really isnt that difficult. Only after i did this, did i realize the risk i was taking, but mign turned out great too. By far the best mod i could have possibly done for 3 bucs!

-Teal

Siman
04-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by the1986
it really isnt that difficult. Only after i did this, did i realize the risk i was taking, but mign turned out great too. By far the best mod i could have possibly done for 3 bucs!

-Teal

speaking of.....i wonder how many brain cells i killed with the primer, paint and RVT sealant combined? I feel alot dumber....

:D HEHEHEHEH

Its been raining here for 2 days, but supposed to be sunny and clear tommorow....I will try to get pics up tommorow evening!:eek: :D ;)