PDA

View Full Version : re: H&R sport springs

Jaypee
04-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Has anyone here riding on H&R sport springs? If so, can you still ride with stock shocks?

chubbychu
04-09-2004, 05:59 PM
yes...=o)

it rides well.

DavidT
04-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Agree, rides good, good drop height (See avatar) and they seem to be good quality so far.

Peking
04-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Jaypee
Has anyone here riding on H&R sport springs? If so, can you still ride with stock shocks?

Hello and welcome to the site, have you visited the Newbie Section yet? If not please do. Check out the Newbie Bible and Forum rules.

I am glad that members have been very kind in answering your question, something you will really not find on other sites. Yet because I do not want to see anyone say anything that could be taken in a negative way. Please use the search feature, basic questions like that have been answered quite a bit.

Hope you enjoy coming here and hope you find all of what you are looking for, and I have H&R Sport Springs on stock springs (like many other members). The ride is slightly stiffer, the drop looks great. I had/have issues with knocking popping, which will go away with lubing, but seem to come back. You will learn like many other things, that there are always exeptions. Some folks will have problems and you may not, and vice versa (not sure if that is how you spell that). Honestly this was a much cheaper alternative to something like the Tein Basics and Mugen Suspension (full kits, Tein is adjustable height. While Mugen is not). Honestly for the trouble and sound. I wish that I would have saved the money and went with the Mugen kit. So keep in mind that the cheaper way out, may not be the better way out :)

Once again, welcome and hope this helps in some way :cool:

Jon

Mickey
04-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Im riding ob H&R with stock shocks and struts. I had it for 3 months now and it is riding very well specially after I installed SPC camber kit in the rear.:D

DeadMonkey
04-10-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Peking
I had/have issues with knocking popping, which will go away with lubing, but seem to come back.

Jon-

I posted a probable fix for your problem in the suspension forum under the topic "H&R Noise" about 6 pages in. I had asked about the possiblity of making the post a sticky but got no response =).

-Rob

PeteSan3
04-10-2004, 09:05 AM
I am also riding on H&R's with stock shocks and no problems whatsoever with noise.

Peking
04-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by DeadMonkey
Jon-

I posted a probable fix for your problem in the suspension forum under the topic "H&R Noise" about 6 pages in. I had asked about the possiblity of making the post a sticky but got no response =).

-Rob

I must have missed it Rob, gonna go and check it out :) And moved to suspension.

Originally posted by DeadMonkey
You need to make sure that everything is indexed properly. The damper mounting base and the upper spring seat are designed to fit correctly only in one configuration. The main noises that I've had to diagnose are as follows:

Metal on metal clanking noise: Spring coil isolators are either absent or not placed properly. You can take the stock isolators off of the stock springs and place them on the new springs in the same placement. Also, adjust the tubing that comes on the H&R sport springs to the place where the dead coils open up into the active coils. These do not necessarily come from the factory in the correct place, so adjustment may be necessary. The dead coils are the coils on the spring that are closer together and are designed to collapse at load. They essentially act like a spacer when the suspension is uncompressed and keep everything in place. When the springs are installed, these coils touch each other and the last set of dead coils can hit on the first set of active coils if the isolator isn't placed properly, making the metal on metal noise.

Loud popping noises when turning: I've posted on this one a number of times. This is caused when the bolt at the top of the strut is overtorqued, causing the strut bearing to bind. (This is most typical when the installer uses airtools. You NEVER want to use airtools when installing the suspension. Always use a torque wrench and hand torque the bolts to the factory specs.) The strut bearing is what allows the spring and strut assembly to turn as one unit when you move the steering wheel of the car. If that strut bearing is bound, it will not allow the spring to turn with the strut and put a tremendous amout of twisting force on the spring. The popping noise that you hear is the spring releasing and popping back into place. Many people have said to use lube to fix this issue, but that is strictly a band aid to cover up the problem. You'll get rid of the noise temporarily, but the undelying problem is still there until everything is loosened and then retorqued to factory specs.

Finally, while not necessarily as much of a noise related issue, You have to note that you absolutely DO NOT TRIM YOUR BUMPSTOPS with these springs. A lot of people do this out of habit. A lot of people believe that the bumpstop is just a slug that prevents the shock body from contacting the chassis when the suspension bottoms out. This is absolutely not the case. The bumpstop is a foamy progressive spring and is a working part of the suspension. Believe it or not, on the Hondas and Acuras, the bumpstop is engaged even at normal ride height. It adds rate to the suspension of the vehicle and WILL affect ride height if altered. Having an active bumpstop allows the designers of the car to use a softer spring and give a more complient ride, and also the bumpstop is the source of some of the progressiveness of the suspension.

I hope that helps clear up some of the questions that people have been having. Have a good one. :D

*Moderators - is it possible to get a sticky on this post? I've seen a lot of people asking these same questions and I think this will help with a lot of the confusion. Thanks.

Good to know, how much tq is needed for the struts? Or is it posted somewhere already?

DeadMonkey
04-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Peking
I must have missed it Rob, gonna go and check it out :) And moved to suspension.

Right on. Let me know how it goes.

-Rob

ViViDPeArL
04-10-2004, 02:04 PM
i have H&R's too...great springs...stiffer, better handling, awesome drop with no rub. mine makes noises though...it's a bitch...i can't stand it sometimes. waiting for H&R coilovers.

Jaypee
04-11-2004, 02:16 AM
thanks for all the replies and information. I'm hearing a lot of H&R springs making noises. Maybe I should go Mugen or Tein basic.

EP3.. 2.. 1 GO
04-11-2004, 10:35 AM
I'm ridding on H&R sport spings with stock shocks. The drop is great, handling is great, and look is awesome!!!

As for the noises I had them in the begging, because of not instaling the spring exectly the way they should be. After i re-do the springs everything runs smoother. Very happy with the springs!!!

JDM_EpTypeR
04-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Can any of you guys with the h&r set up please post pics cuz I've went threw sportlines ( great ride but hated the look, rear lower then front), went threw neuspeed race ( ride was alittle bouncier then sportlines, now the front sits lower then the rear), I also have the koni yellows in, I just need springs that will drop the car low and the drop be even to the eye.......if any of you seen the Red CRX in this months honda tuning that's the look I'm tryin to get cuz that is the rim & tire package I have on my car

Peking
04-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by JDM_EpTypeR
Can any of you guys with the h&r set up please post pics cuz I've went threw sportlines ( great ride but hated the look, rear lower then front), went threw neuspeed race ( ride was alittle bouncier then sportlines, now the front sits lower then the rear), I also have the koni yellows in, I just need springs that will drop the car low and the drop be even to the eye.......if any of you seen the Red CRX in this months honda tuning that's the look I'm tryin to get cuz that is the rim & tire package I have on my car

Did you see the sticky in this section for folks with drops?

Mickey
04-12-2004, 08:26 AM
When I first installed my H&R springs I can hear a knocking sound particularly in the rear but when I installed my SPC camber kit all the noise were gone and Im pretty happy with the ride now. No Noise or whatsoever.
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Msarenas/100_0195.jpg
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Msarenas/100_0193.jpg
:D

Zero Three Si
04-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Just remember when you lower your car with springs the ride is a little rougher with ANY spring. I love my H&R springs!!! However, I wish I would have just spent the money on coilovers. Springs (150 bucks) coilovers (800+). I'll wait a year and break down and spend the money.