PDA

View Full Version : Why Mee!?!???? Ugh!

HondCivc91
04-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Uuuggghhhh!! I have had one of those days where killing someone would give me piece of mind. Get this..
Girlfriend and I went out today into Philly to just walk around, take a tour of the Kimmel Center, walked around Penn

CaTiRo
04-09-2004, 10:32 PM
was your girl mad or did she think it was funny?

HondCivc91
04-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by CaTiRo
was your girl mad or did she think it was funny?

pissed at first when i told her that she might have to help push the car, LMAO! But as we were waiting for the tow truck she kept me calm and got me and her food from McDonald's across the street. :)

CaTiRo
04-09-2004, 10:43 PM
aww ... thats sweet. let us know how everything goes with your car. i can't believe it took the cops that long to get there.

DavidT
04-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Damn girls if they ain't gonna help when things get rough then you don't need'em. Plenty of them around. :D Sorry about your car bro. Hopefully it's not the timing belt cause if it is your valves are probably gone too cause the pistons will hit the valves 99% of the time. $$$ :(

redronin22
04-09-2004, 11:44 PM
I had a older model honda prelude (88). when the timing belt slipped it killed the valve train and i had to but a new motor vs. repair the existing motor. hope yours isnt too pricey =0(:o :'(

STP03BlueSI
04-10-2004, 05:41 AM
Damn that sucks about your car.:(

blueiedgod
04-10-2004, 06:08 AM
it sucks that it happened to you. If it is timing belt, then most likeley you are going to be a new proud owner of an EP3. I am most positive that the engine in the 91 civic is "interfierence" egnine, and the cost of replacing the head and pistons could be more than the car is worth.
Hopefully it is just the ignition coil, ignition wires, or starter.

siver-SI
04-10-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by blueiedgod
it sucks that it happened to you. If it is timing belt, then most likeley you are going to be a new proud owner of an EP3. I am most positive that the engine in the 91 civic is "interfierence" egnine, and the cost of replacing the head and pistons could be more than the car is worth.
Hopefully it is just the ignition coil, ignition wires, or starter.

Just wondering is are EP a "interfierence" egnine? I never looked to see if we have negative valve clearence.

That sucks about the car though. What has me worried is that is will not turn over. Does it making a clicking sound or anything when you try to turn it over? If the engine is ok get that belt changed if that was not even the problem.

teejoh
04-10-2004, 07:27 AM
....with the car just idling I highly doubt if any valve train damage was done if it is the timing belt.

bobdobbs
04-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Geez, dude, when I first saw that picture I figured you violated some sort of tail light ordinance. :D

phatsi
04-10-2004, 09:52 AM
sorry to hear theat, hopefully its something minor....but you dont have to worry about your valves...that chasis as well as the crx have NON-interference motors...i blew a timing belt and it reved sky high and nothing happened....thats the nice thing about these motors...well good luck and let us know...;)

televated
04-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Geez, dude, when I first saw that picture I figured you violated some sort of tail light ordinance. :D

Zing!

DavidT
04-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by phatsi
sorry to hear theat, hopefully its something minor....but you dont have to worry about your valves...that chasis as well as the crx have NON-interference motors...i blew a timing belt and it reved sky high and nothing happened....thats the nice thing about these motors...well good luck and let us know...;)

Umm...all D-series motors were interferance motors. You may have just gotten lucky and the belt broke when some of your valves were closed and the others were slightly open.

k20hatch
04-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Damn man im sorry here, i hope everything goes well with it man!

phatsi
04-11-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by DavidT
Umm...all D-series motors were interferance motors. You may have just gotten lucky and the belt broke when some of your valves were closed and the others were slightly open.

damn....it happened to myself and my friends crx and both were fine...wow, that is good but dumb luck...

werd :p :p

HondCivc91
04-11-2004, 01:19 PM
well just an update - the mechanice gave me a call back yesterday and said that the whole distributor assembly had to be replace and the total bill came out to be $553.34 everything included (labor/PA state tax). I told them to go ahead and do the job and they said they would have it done by Monday morning. I mean I'm home in South Jersey for the weekend, for one point, and also the car isn't moveable except if you tow it - so it's not like I can get a few quotes elsewhere. I also called my Honda mechanic at the dealership to get an opinion off him if I'm getting ripped off and he has not called me back (granted, today is Easter). Again, the timing belt needed to be replaced at around 95k I believe without a problem. The distributor needed to be replaced soon after that.

The mechanic also said that I will be getting a 10% off discount for using AAA and possibly even another discount that they're running.

LOL dobbs, good one about the ordinance, lol. Finally got me laughing!

I have a question too, my mom's '97 Nissan Pathfinder has been having a REALLY high pitched squeaking noise. I noticed the past couple times I changed the oil it would stop the noise for about a week or so but then it would start back up again. Temperature and weather really effect it too. Rain/cold/snowy days it's really bad. Warmer days it's better. Could THAT be the timing belt? Think it should be brought to a mechanice ASAP?

Thanks guys for all the help!

Black 02 SI
04-11-2004, 04:27 PM
i was gonna say ditrib. you can get them brand new on ebay for like $150 and its three bolts to install it. is that a si? i had a 1991 si, and the dist go after a while on those too. they start leaking oil and shit too.

HondCivc91
04-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Black 02 SI
i was gonna say ditrib. you can get them brand new on ebay for like $150 and its three bolts to install it. is that a si? i had a 1991 si, and the dist go after a while on those too. they start leaking oil and shit too.

No, it's a DX Hatch ... ohhh, I have been noticing a TINY bit of oil leaking but I don't have a major loss. I can usually go oil change to oil change without having to add any .. like it'll drop down to 3/4 but i only top it off when it gets to 1/2 full. It shows it leaking under the car a little but I haven't noticed anything unusual with the dipstick.

Is that $150 off ebay the whole assembly or just the distrib. I really don't know how to install one anyway and I don't have time to go without a car for long.

potator
04-11-2004, 08:20 PM
You've got a sweet girlfriend. Nice taillights by the way.

HondCivc91
04-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by potator
You've got a sweet girlfriend. Nice taillights by the way.

thanks for both ;)