PDA

View Full Version : K20a or B18c5

Soon2beEP3
04-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Ok, I'm planning to get rid of my EP. It's all good, if I do get rid of it my little brother is going to get it.
Anyways, what I want to do is buy an older EG and do an engine swap. Now I would love to drop a K20a in, but $5000 for the engine, $700 for the motor mounts, and I have no idea how much a set of GSR or RSX axles run, plus I have no idea how much it would be to do the swap. I just don't think I could handle that.
So if you guys know about how much a set of axles cost and an estimate of how much it would run to install a K20a into an EG. That would help alot, I know this is very new and I've only heard of one K20a powered EG.
On the other hand;
I could drop in a B16b or B18c5. I'm pretty sure all I need are motor mounts. Are the older used engines dependable? I don't want to drop one in drive it a few hundred miles and finally take it to redline and then BAM!!! broken heart. Will I have to buy another radiator or with the EG radiator work? Any other tips will help?
I'm planning to build an all motor setup. Also, would it be daily driveable. Thanks for the help on these odd questions.

Dunrick
04-10-2004, 02:47 PM
k-series has shown to have a lot more potential, might be worth the extra $ in the long run. up to you man.

BlasTech
04-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Here's a site dedicated to projects like this: http://www.k20a.org/phpBB2/

2pointslowEP3
04-11-2004, 09:06 PM
stick with the b-series!

2k2SiAutoXer
04-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Thats right, stick with the touqueless series that Honda is in the process of killing off. If you can afford it, try to do the k-series swap. What you should do is get the A3, then go turbo. Your little EG would FLY!

--Tom

Soon2beEP3
04-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Well, I wanted to go all motor. I may go with a K20a2 instead of the K20a. But, I haven't discarded the possibility of turbo. And I like the way my A3 pulls, so turbo would do it justice. This will most likely be an end of the year project, so I'm in no hurry to decide. I'm planning to buy the EG cash and taking a loan out on the engine and all the other things I need to make this work. Do you guys think the bank will approve me on something like this?

HondaDOHC161822
04-12-2004, 03:47 PM
They will and wont... If you own a house then yes... But your intrest rate will be higher than usual because you are purchasing something that depressiates in value apposed to a house and with buying a car atleast they have collateral... all the b ank really cares about is getting their money while they make money... i would save up for the swap without the banks help... you will be paying so much more for everything over time its worth it but it will just hurt ur pockets...

Soon2beEP3
04-12-2004, 04:11 PM
No, I don't own a house and it would take me forever to save up for any one of these engines. I do better with payments. I really don't mind paying like $1000 in interest over a period of three years or so. What if my friend is branch manager of this bank and I have already been approved for a loan from them before. I haven't had a chance to talk to him about it, I was just trying to get info from you guys.

HARRY POTTER
04-12-2004, 04:16 PM
what about an H22? :eek:

i'd do the b-series, for now... then in a year or 2, pick up on a good deal for the k20a..