View Full Version : gauges

2k2civicSi
10-10-2002, 07:06 PM
what are the simplest gauges to install Electric or Mechanical

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by 2k2civicSi
what are the simplest gauges to install Electric or Mechanical
it really doesn't matter in my opinion, but electric is probably easier. But I know you're going to have that indash gauge, so if you have an oil gauge, you'll need an electric type.....you don't want a mechanical one going into the inside of your car....bad idea :D same goes for fuel pressure gauge....if it's in you car, make sure it's electric, if it's mechanical, just put it under the hood.

2k2civicSi
10-10-2002, 07:33 PM
thanks man do they make oil gauges in electric do you just tap wires to the ecu i know nothing about gauges
can any one give me a quick over veiw or whats good or bad what to look for ect ect...

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2002, 07:43 PM
thanks man do they make oil gauges in electric do you just tap wires to the ecu i know nothing about gauges
can any one give me a quick over veiw or whats good or bad what to look for ect ect...
I'm not sure how it is on our cars, but I'm sure it's about the same. As far as the oil pressure gauge goes (electric), you have to tap into the oil pressure sending unit. The oil pressure sending unit is located usually above the oil filter, it's a small plug looking thing. When I change my own oil, I'll have to look and see if it's in the same place. I was above the filter in my 97 civic. Tapping into the sending unit is easy. you just unplug it and then take another part that comes with the pressure gauge. The there is a pressure tube that is send to this separate unit that bolts to the fire wall. That then has an electic sender that you wire into and that wire leads to your gauge. It's hard to explain, as I haven't exactly done it yet, but I know how to. I'm going to help a friend do it on his 00 Civic. I should take some pics sometime.
Fuel pressure is a little different, but about the same. It comes with an electric sender that is screwed into your fuel rail (which most likely you'd need another fuel rail, by like aem, which they supply on orifice for putting an electric sender in it). Then there are two spots for the wires to go onto the fuel sender. One that leads a wire to the gauge and another for ground. Then there is a wire that goes from the gauge for volts...and another for 12volts for the light in the gauge.

Hope this helps. It's not easy to explain, but definitely get an electric sending unit type. They are the best, by far, especially since you're going to have gauges in your car.

2k2civicSi
10-10-2002, 07:46 PM
thanks man i think im gona get oil and air fuel r/a gauges and have a clock in there till i get the nx kit

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2002, 07:50 PM
thanks man i think im gona get oil and air fuel r/a gauges and have a clock in there till i get the nx kit
a/f easy too, I don't know if you know how to do that. only thing is, I'm not sure which wire is the o2 signal to the ecu (usually it's better to wire it where the wire leads to the ecu, better signal and away from corrosion). It's three wires...usually....power,ground, and o2 signal. Some a/f gauges are better than others out there, but an autometer works just fine for driving purposes

2k2civicSi
10-10-2002, 07:51 PM
isnt the o2 the one in the intake tube??

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2002, 07:57 PM
:D no! no,no,no :) hahahahaha, if you only knew you'd laugh at yourself. It's okay, I was the same way before.
The o2 signal is the one that is in the header, or cat, which ever. There are primary (header) and secondary (cat) o2 sensors. The primary is the one you want. What happens is when the exhaust fumes leave the engine and into the header, the sensor tells the ecu if it is running lean or rich, and the ecu will adjust timing to compensate. Sometimes the ecu can't in some instances, and you'll have big problems....this really only refers to boosting (turbo,sc, or nitrous). Some people will just wire directly into the o2 sensor, but that's not a good idea, as you can't solder the wire on to the o2 signal...the wire is a different type of material on the sensor, can't remember what type. The thing that goes into the intake is just to sense what the temp. is coming into the engine. you need to know what's happening afterwards, the o2 sensor tells you that.
Some people even opt for an exhaust temp gauge. Basically does the same thing. Some feel it is better in a way. If the temp is too hot, your lean, to cold your rich. but you'd have to know what the normal operating temp is.

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2002, 08:01 PM
I just remembered something. I never have seen the o2 sensor on the header. So I looked this up....it's a pick of a 2002 EX, basically same lay out as for the header. It looks like the o2 sensor is in the down pipe and the secondary sensor of course is in the cat.
Look to the far left of the pic and look at part number 18, that is the o2 sensor.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S5P01_B02.gif

2k2civicSi
10-10-2002, 08:03 PM
thanks man your info helped me alot

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2002, 08:05 PM
thanks man your info helped me alot
no prob, let me know if I help any more. I used to own a JRSC Civic EX that I had tons of time with trying to fix, I had to learn just about everything as I was doing it myself

02SilverSiHB
10-15-2002, 06:23 PM
cool, I didn't even have to work on the car to show you this pic:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid35/p6248580d25b6ab6efdeeb1a01e7c9f85/fd29ac18.jpg
See that finger. To the right is a black connector. That is where the oil pressure sending unit is going to get it's readings. Right above the oil filter.

Thanks to Suk02Si taking pics of his install on the dc header :D
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=38474#post38474