PDA

View Full Version : What can nitrous do to your car

taffeta_wht_si
04-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Okay here is the deal I just bought an ep3 and I didnt check it over real well, but it only had 19,000 miles on it so I didnt figure I had to. Here is my prob. I checked the compression after feeling a small miss sitting at a stoplight and The 3rd cylinder is very low and the spark plug I took out had the ceramic melted and the tip was bright white. After I saw this I checked for signs of NOS. I found bottle mount holes in the trunk, Old zip ties under the car leading up to the engine bay, and a threaded hole that is now plugged in the Injen CAI. My question is: Can nitrous do this to a car and if so, what would you have to do to a car to cause this. Thanks any help is appreciated.

Oh yeah once I changed the plugs the idle smoothed out to perfect.

taffeta_wht_si
04-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Sorry guys just remembered this, There is also a check engine light on for a knock sensor malfunction. I have reset the code but it always comes back when I rev my engine.

siver-SI
04-11-2004, 07:29 PM
It can just screw up an engine. Just gets the engine to hot. I would take it back to the dealership since it should still be under warrenty, and have them work on the engine.

ATRIOT
04-11-2004, 07:30 PM
I assume he was running a dry kit then??

ATRIOT
04-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Take it back to the dealer and raise hell about it. If you let it go, they might pin it on you and say that you installed and removed it in the future.

VaughanRT
04-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by ATRIOT
I assume he was running a dry kit then??

I would say it was, if it was a wet kit, there would be two holes in the CAI or a hole in the intake manifold.

taffeta_wht_si
04-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Thanks guys, Im actually in the process of getting a stock airbox before I take it in and believe me I will Raise hell about it since it is still under warranty

siver-SI
04-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by taffeta_wht_si
Thanks guys, Im actually in the process of getting a stock airbox before I take it in and believe me I will Raise hell about it since it is still under warranty

Why do that. Bring it back just like you bought it. That way then can not say it was you who did the dammage.

taffeta_wht_si
04-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Why do that. Bring it back just like you bought it. That way then can not say it was you who did the dammage.

Because I bought it in Florida from a dealership were I had to sign an as is/no warranty. and the reason listed was: CAR HAS REMAINING FACTORY WARRANTY. So I have to get rid of all traces of NOS to get warranty work done. Just to cover all ends

ATRIOT
04-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Well heres the thing, what if when you take your car back to honda they end up saying that the compression on cyl 3 is low but within factory spec? Also it seems like the dealership you purchased the car from fucked you over. I can almost gaurentee that they knew about the N20 use by the previous owner. By not disclosing that to you and asking you to sign for the car "as is" due to "CAR HAS REMAINING FACTORY WARRANTY: (what exactly does that mean?) is pure outright deception. I think its time to call Honda HQ and have them look into it.

taffeta_wht_si
04-12-2004, 12:28 PM
no that cant happen. compression on cyl 3 was almost half of what the other cylinders read. I am going to go buy a tester and do it myself just so I can see it with my own eyes. And yes I think that the dealership might or might not have known about the prob. The car was reposessed from the orig. owner. Either way I bought the car in Florida and I live in Missouri so the distance is also playing a factor in trying to work something out with the dealership. Oh well all I can do is take it into honda and see whats up.

Also just in case you are wondering, the Dealership I bought it from wasnt a Honda Dealership.

ATRIOT
04-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Ah i get it now. Well good luck with it!

WarmPepsi
04-13-2004, 03:05 PM
#3 is the weak cylinder.

it's been proven twice already.

He had to be running a wet kit, otherwise you'd see a whole new fuel setup, and since hondata doesn't have a programmable ecu for ep's yet, thats a no go.

I'd go back to the dealership and raise hell, but most likely you'll get nowhere. The car still has the factory warranty, but that warrenty is voided because of the nitrous use. Unless you have an unknowing tech diagnose it, they'll know what it was.

basically, yes, you did get screwed. Used improperly, too long, or at too low/high a pressure, it can melt, fry, even throw pistons through the walls.

I'd keep the plugs, and take all the pictures of the evidence, and go back and say "i found this", but again, you did sign off on it :(

good luck

siver-SI
04-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Well bring it to the dealership ASAP and see what they say. If everything if back to OEM and there is no sign of the NOS then maybe you can get away with it.