PDA

View Full Version : Summer tires or all season tires?

tom3
04-12-2004, 06:37 AM
(Originally posted in this thread (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31430))
Let me start by saying that I'll have a set of winter tires for snow, so the the summer tires or all-season tires would be used in seasons other than winter.

I've heard many say that the best all season tires will not perform as well as the average summer tire. Though I do drive spiritedly often, I don't autocross, drag, or race, so I doubt I'll be pushing performance tires to their limit (though I do meet/exceed the limit of the stock michelins quite regularly). Therefore, I wonder whether I'd actually benefit from the extra grip summer tires offer over good all season tires.

Besides how well they grip (dry & wet), I also care VERY MUCH about road noise, and ride quality. Are all season tires usually better in these 2 criteria?

For instance, how do Yokohama AVS ES100 and Continental ContiExtreme Contact compare, in terms of dry/wet grip, lateral response, road noise, ride comfort and tread life? The reviews on tirerack are helpful, but I'm guessing that the ratings are relative to each tire category, instead of absolute across different types.

Lastly, is tirerack the best/cheapest place to get tires?

Thanks in advance!!

SiR Medic
04-12-2004, 08:08 AM
I look at it from the opposite way.

All-Season tires are for rain, mud, and light snow. In Canada, people with all season tires on in the winter are either gonna crash or get stuck. A crappy winter tire is better than a great all-season tire in the snow.

The same principle works for summer tires. They are designed to work at higher temperatures, drier roads, and summer specific tires usually place the emphasis on performance rather than ride comfort or noise levels.

The best way to think of tires is that they are always an exercise in compromise. The more specific a tire is in one aspect, the worse it is going to be in others.

All-season tires are usually the epotome of this compromise, they must be all things to all people. They must be quiet, offer good fuel economy, ride, performance, wet traction, dry traction, and noise levels. They also must perform at high summer temperatures and low winter temperatures.

Summer performance tires concentrate on giving wet traction, dry traction, and they are designed to work in above freezing temperatures.

My suggestion would be to use 2 sets of tires. One for winter, like a set of Artic Alpins or Blizzaks, and one for summer, like Toyo Proxes. Keep your winter tires at 195/50R15 and get something wider for summer, like 205 or 215s.

amctmg
04-12-2004, 08:39 AM
205/50r15 falken azenis sport is the way to go dry or rain but make sure you have something else for snow

http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_t.htm

I ran with just 2 on the front for like 5 months and the back end did not have too much trouble keeping up with the azenis even though then were the stock michelins

tom3
04-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. I've added to my original post that I do have a set of winter tires. So the summer or all-season tires would be for spring/summer/fall.

SiR Medic, I think I understand the trade-offs that come with different types of tires. To state my question more clearly, I should ask whether the trade-off in road gripping performance in good all-season tires would be acceptable to someone that does not race. "Acceptable" because (hopefull) the all-season tires would offer better ride-comfort and lower noise level than summer tires.

Without having tried any tires other than the stock Michilen's and snow tires, I guess it's just hard for me to gauge how much better summer tires perform, compared to good all-season tires. (like between Yoko AVS-ES100 and ContiExtreme), and how much quieter and more comfortable all-season tires are compared to summer tires.

amctmg, thanks for your suggestion. I've been readin that the Azenis have a reputation for bad wet traction and short treadwear, even though they're supposed to be awesome for dry grip. Can you comment on that?

Hmmm so there's another idea, perhaps I can run summer tires up front and all-seaons in the back? :)

darkvibe
04-12-2004, 09:02 AM
I have kumho ecsta supra 712's on some 17" rims that will be going on the car within the next few days. You are more than welcome to ride in it if you want to check out road noise and stuff.

amctmg
04-12-2004, 09:18 AM
My azenis are falken awesome in the rain, they do hydroplane in standing water a little bit but for just wet roads they seem to handle better then the stock tires do on dry and they are cheap. Try 2 in the front for 148.00 shipped you get them in less than 5 days and see if you like them, Trust me you will love them. Every time I hit an off ramp at 110 with confidence I sure do.

SiR Medic
04-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by tom3
SiR Medic, I think I understand the trade-offs that come with different types of tires. To state my question more clearly, I should ask whether the trade-off in road gripping performance in good all-season tires would be acceptable to someone that does not race. "Acceptable" because (hopefull) the all-season tires would offer better ride-comfort and lower noise level than summer tires.

Hmmm so there's another idea, perhaps I can run summer tires up front and all-seaons in the back? :) [/B]

Whatever you do... DO NOT MIX TIRES! Modern tires are meant to be used in groups of 4. Summer up front and all-seasons on back will give you worse handling than All-seasons all around... Not to mention, it will make tire rotation impossible.

If all you want is a "touring tire" with good mileage rating and a quiet, smooth ride, than yes, get an all-season touring tire. If you drive in a spirited manner at all, I suggest you get summer performance tires.

EtherGhost
04-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
Whatever you do... DO NOT MIX TIRES! Modern tires are meant to be used in groups of 4. Summer up front and all-seasons on back will give you worse handling than All-seasons all around... Not to mention, it will make tire rotation impossible.

Do you have any more information about this? I doesn't seem like it would be such a bad thing to me.