PDA

View Full Version : **ATTN***:SYNCRO problem fixed!!!read*****

TezGari
10-10-2002, 07:16 PM
Hi guys,

Remeber when i posted about my car going into the dealer for the grinding in 3rd gear, well they told me i needed to change my shift loc my synkroz and shift arm, well after 1 week in the shop it was more than that, read:

the paper says: "Faulty casting 3-4 (gear) scyncro cause inop manual transmisson overhual include disassembly and inspect completely replace transmission housing: 3-4 scyncro, fork bearing and seal."

i just got my ep back.;) . I tested it and it doesnt even show a hint of grind, its perfect!!!!

They did alot of work to get this thing fixed, but what i dont get is that this thing was faulty as the service paper stated, they ordered alotta parts.

They replaced all of these parts:

W-fork
Shift Arm
Interlock
Striker
W-floor mat
w-fluid
clutch, case
oil seal
honda bond

Mostly oil seals and flushers but the major ones where on the tranny like: Syncros and shift lock and interlock and more.

All in all guys, take YOUR EP IN!!!! its faulty!! i will lead the way!!! Take it in, it is faulty!:eek: take it in!!

comments questions let me know.

thanks guys.

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2002, 07:17 PM
Mines fine, no grinding in any gears. Mine was made on Wednesday :D

SubliminalSi
10-10-2002, 07:18 PM
hmm, i have that problem in 2nd to 3rd gear...should i goto the dealership?

natesi
10-10-2002, 08:37 PM
So you're saying there's an inherent design flaw on all 2002 Si transmissions and our tranny is predisposed to going out?

If that's true don't they have to do a recall?

If not, and if I understand what you say is true, what is the chance of this going out before the warranty is over? Is there anyway we can "test it" to make it go out, to see if it will or not?

My 2nd to 3rd seems a little notchy when cold... but otherwise nothing so far. Is this normal? I've only got 1700 miles on it though... What mileage did you notice the problem?

The major issue I have with the tranny is reverse. Hard as hell to get it in sometimes. I've not fully engaged it twice. It seems like it's getting worse like I really have to jam it into gear, even if I double clutch and roll the car a little bit. Is this normal?

Thanks,

-nate

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by natesi

So you're saying there's an inherent design flaw on all 2002 Si transmissions and our tranny is predisposed to going out?

If not, and if I understand what you say is true, what is the chance of this going out before the warranty is over? Is there anyway we can "test it" to make it go out, to see if it will or not?

My 2nd to 3rd seems a little notchy when cold... but otherwise nothing so far. Is this normal? I've only got 1700 miles on it though... What mileage did you notice the problem?

The major issue I have with the tranny is reverse. Hard as hell to get it in sometimes. I've not fully engaged it twice. It seems like it's getting worse like I really have to jam it into gear, even if I double clutch and roll the car a little bit. Is this normal?

Thanks,

-nate
realistically you can't do much now. if there is a problem with our trannys, you'll have to wait till there is a recall, unless you experience problems.

02blksi
10-10-2002, 09:01 PM
hmmm no problems here, 3300 on the ticker --joe

TezGari
10-10-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

realistically you can't do much now. if there is a problem with our trannys, you'll have to wait till there is a recall, unless you experience problems.

Cant do much? What kinda attitude is that guys lol
Take it in look what happen to my tranny now its nice.

TezGari
10-10-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by natesi

Thanks,

-nate

I think its a problem in some Si's cause the older Si's had the same problem. I noticed this around 1K-2300 miles. If you hear grinding sounds or something like it, then u gotta take it in. As far as the test, i dont know, you can just shift past 3-4K rpm's to listen to the shift. No recall's yet, but its small just the internals not the whole tranny.

When they changed the parts in my tranny the shift arm seemed more stiff as if it where brand new.

02SilverSiHB
10-11-2002, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by trinispeed

Cant do much? What kinda attitude is that guys lol
Take it in look what happen to my tranny now its nice.
it's an intelligent attitude. if he isn't having any problems, he can't do anything....hello!

TezGari
10-11-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

it's an intelligent attitude. if he isn't having any problems, he can't do anything....hello!

Im sensing a little anger here. We all need to calm down. 1....2...3...j/k , but really just be careful cause when i took my ep the guy said its good that i came in soon.

iR-VTEC2
10-11-2002, 12:46 PM
I dunno if its just me but...my Si seems to be getting better? Anyone else?

HondaMan
10-11-2002, 12:54 PM
My tranny seems fine to me...I'll wait till they recall it or it actually gets bad.

02SilverSiHB
10-11-2002, 01:09 PM

Im sensing a little anger here. We all need to calm down. 1....2...3...j/k , but really just be careful cause when i took my ep the guy said its good that i came in soon.
see sig

freedomgli
10-15-2002, 06:21 PM
Don't hold out for a recall. You might be lucky and receive a repair under warranty, a limited service campaign, or goodwill assistance if or when the problem arises.

Just so everyone knows, a "recall" is for a safety defect. Typically the defect must exist in a relatively large number of cars and pose a danger to the occupants or the motoring public. When a recall occurs all sorts of paperwork and admission of guilt and liability happens with the federal government overseeing it all. Unless this tranny problem causes the front wheels to lock up catastrophically (sudden failure without prior warning) and swing the car into oncomming traffic (or cause a transmission fire), then its not considered a safety issue and therefore will never be addressed under a recall campaign.

Warning: Ranting Below
I really wish people didn't use the term "recall" all the time when describing a problem with their car. Please refrain from using the word "recall" so loosely. I'll lighten up now. Damn government job working at NHTSA has me acting so serious. I guess that's what happens sometimes after viewing pictures of fatal firey car wrecks.
Before I get off on a rant, just remember to wear your seatbelts and be courteous to others on the road and don't drive aggressively unless on a racetrack fighting for position.

punkdork
10-18-2002, 10:55 AM
Do we know if the "cruchy" 1-2 shift is covered under this?

TezGari
10-18-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by punkdork
Do we know if the "cruchy" 1-2 shift is covered under this?

THe crunchy stuff is called faulty sync's.

punkdork
10-20-2002, 09:30 PM

That's what I thought but the paper specifys 3-4 not 1-2.

natesi
10-20-2002, 09:53 PM

What if it only happens when the car is cold? Is that normal? Dont cars shift a little different when cold?

9092002SI
10-21-2002, 12:02 AM
should there be any grinding in our cars at all? cause once in a while there is grinding into second just crusing slow. so should there be any grinding at all?

thanks
Russell

2002Si
10-22-2002, 05:25 AM
Why the hell is this happening, mine has doen it since I got it?? Anyway, I've got an appointment Friday, do you think that I should put the stock air box back in it??

chunky
10-22-2002, 09:06 AM
I hit 15k miles yesterday. no grinding from my tranny except when I fuck up.

Just b/c your car was defective, doesn't mean everyone else's is.

Not every piece made is perfect.

I don't know for sure, but I think my car was also made on a tues, wed, or thurs. How do you find out?

2002Si
10-22-2002, 09:33 AM
I thought mine was going to quit doing it until I read the thread. If you drive it really slow and ease it into the gears it won't do it. But if you in any kind of way race or just power shift a lil bit......when it gets to third it sounds like someone running a fingernail file down a peice of flat metal.:eek: What's wrong w/ my car maaan

chunky
10-22-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by 2002Si
I thought mine was going to quit doing it until I read the thread. If you drive it really slow and ease it into the gears it won't do it. But if you in any kind of way race or just power shift a lil bit......when it gets to third it sounds like someone running a fingernail file down a peice of flat metal.:eek: What's wrong w/ my car maaan

i can shift mine w/o the cluch with no grinding.

my synchros are perfect. the only thing i'm running that's different than most is a 75w-90 synthetic gear lube. if you drive hard, you should have a heavy weight fluid in your tranny anyhow.

2002Si
10-22-2002, 12:49 PM
What are you saying to me??? I can't drive?? The car has been doing it ever since I got it and I've been waiting for someone to shoot a thread like this so I'd know if it was something that I needed to go and get fixed. And exactly how do you shift w/o using a clutch????????????? I gotta know that one?? What ever is wrong w/ my car can't be normal, there's no way!!!

chunky
10-22-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by 2002Si
What are you saying to me??? I can't drive?? The car has been doing it ever since I got it and I've been waiting for someone to shoot a thread like this so I'd know if it was something that I needed to go and get fixed. And exactly how do you shift w/o using a clutch????????????? I gotta know that one?? What ever is wrong w/ my car can't be normal, there's no way!!!

it could be something that's wrong with your car, i'm just saying that it's not a flaw that's across the board, like the original post in this thread might have you believe.

shifting w/o the clutch is all about timing. come up to atlanta one weekend and i'll show ya how it's done. You have to have the timing down pat, it needs to be in your DNA so that if someone cut your arm off and put it on the shifter, it would still know when to shift.

okay, maybe not that extreme, but it's all based on how well you know the rpm differences and timing between each gear. upshifting is MUCH MUCH easier than downshifting w/o a clutch.

I don't reccomend you do this often, I just do it to show off i guess - some people just don't believe that it can be done - it's not the best thing for your tranny if you do it often.

jiminEP3
06-17-2003, 12:58 PM
heres a solution...TYPE R SWAP!! hahaha. shit ...no money.

2k2_nbp_egg
06-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Would the dealership void my warranty for the shifter b/c of a neuspeed SS?

03EP3Si
08-20-2003, 10:57 AM
I got 15 thousand miles on my car and third gear just started to grind badly when i shift above 4000 rpms is everyones elses senario like mines?

mhx
08-20-2003, 11:07 AM
honestly i think 1/2 this board cant drive stick right.. im sick of hearin about your gears grinding.. its simple learn how to drive :)

if you learned to drive stick on this car... and 5000, 9000, 15000 miles ya got tranny problems.. its simple.. its a bad driver..

it could be a factor of abuse to.. AKA you 4000+RPM launchers

how u been chunky.. i cut back on posts here.. get sick of hearing about moronic crap like this

TezGari
08-20-2003, 12:29 PM
My scratchy syncs came in early (about 1,000 miles), i thought it was normal, and as i drove more and more it got worse, so i took it in..

03EP3Si
08-20-2003, 12:55 PM
i probably know how to drive stick better than you fool, i live in NYC and if for 15,000 mile is hasnt grinded once and this is city driving!. and now it started and your gonna say people dont know how to drive? abuse my ass if anything 1st gear and second gear get abused more than third.. im sick of moronic people make stupid comments like you

mhx
08-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by 03EP3Si

http://pixzr.com/pics/mhx/mhx-9280243.jpg

Lev
08-20-2003, 01:47 PM
What in the fuck is up with all the hate in this thread? Please spread <3

Many of us are having problems with our transmissions. I appreciate Trinispeed putting up his information for us that are having problems, as convincing most dealerships of a problem like this is oftentimes difficult to do.

I wish everyone that had a warranty repair done would post it up, just so we have some frame of reference.

mhx
08-20-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Lev

Many of us are having problems with our transmissions. I appreciate Trinispeed putting up his information for us that are having problems, as convincing most dealerships of a problem like this is oftentimes difficult to do.

I wish everyone that had a warranty repair done would post it up, just so we have some frame of reference.

No theres just alot of kids who just dont know how to drive... no offense.. our trannies are picky.. they like it a certain way.. if you dont comply they dont like you..

03EP3Si
08-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Newbie only by word i had this car and been on other usless forums for about a year. Its sad that there is always that one person whos got somthing stupid to say. My Transmission ran Beautiful. then just the other day it started to happen shifting when i was on the highway.. i dont know how learning how to drive has anything to do with this... highway shifting is so easy.

Lev
08-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by mhx

No theres just alot of kids who just dont know how to drive... no offense.. our trannies are picky.. they like it a certain way.. if you dont comply they dont like you..

I like how you both call me a kid and then tell me I don't know how to drive before telling me not to be offended. Luckily for you, I'm in a good mood today, so I will comply.

Once again (and perhaps this time you'll be able to understand it), some of us are having transmission problems and don't believe it has anything to do with our inability to shift properly. If you haven't had any problems, that's great! I congratulate you on your recent vehicular experience and commend your excellent shifting skills. Now the rest of us will try to work with Honda to figure out what exactly is wrong with our tranmissions.

Thank you for your informative and supportive attitude. I look forward to more constructive posts in the future.

staticflo
08-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by mhx

Your an asshole, if you dont have something constructive to add to a thread then dont put anything. Its morons like you that have made me lose interest in this site.

TomR123
08-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Good work lev.

Stop the anger. (you sound like a customer service rep)

BarracksSi
08-20-2003, 06:52 PM
(no hate here)

My '86 Si (what chassis is that, anyway - EF?) had practically zero notchiness after just 240,000 miles, and every once in a rare while, I feel a bit in my EP with just over 15,000. I might ask about it next time I take it in for service.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that there are some transmissions with problems, because after all, they're mechanical devices. It's good to hear that a dealership fixed it up with no problem, too.

siver-SI
08-20-2003, 09:06 PM
Right now I have brought the car in once for this problem and it acted fine when they did the road test and when I did the road test even. :( They have it in the books now that I have this problem and they even brought up some of those parts could be the problem before they looked at it. So my guess is that there is something on with Honda that they know about this. My dealer even goes to me that I only have 3500 on it right now so you have a lot more millage left for it to come a consistant problem.

TezGari
08-20-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Lev

Guys, thanks for the comments, but i agree with both sides, thier are some people who shift in a bad manner....But Bad Syncs are a problem with many honda transmissions...I talked to some of the mechanics thier at the dealership and they tell me that it happned alot in the 99-00 Si's.....I also, read in other posts that some dealerships didnt want to repair their sync's, prob because a young person owned the car, and they didnt want to do a major service...But dealerships with that kind of attitude needs to be written up...I told others to write to Honda of America...All in all, take your car in no matter if you think u caused the problem or not (just dont tell them u caused it), because im not Pro Race driver, but i had my faults (about 3 times).....Thanks again guys.....

PS: Did anyone else get thier syncs fixed? I know thier were numerous people here with that problem.

Mugen Power
08-21-2003, 07:00 AM
I've actually taken the car in twice and asked to have it checked out for the synchro crunch. The first dealer told me the car was too new (I think I had 2700 miles on it) and that it had to "get used to" my style of driving. About 5000 miles later, I took it into another dealer and they didn't have a problem when they drove it (not surprising) and when I took it out for a drive with the techs, I also didn't feel a problem. Well, I'm due for the 10k mile maintenance soon and hopefully they'll agree to take a look at it again because I plan on taking it in on a Saturday and the dealership will only due scheduled maintenance work on that day (which sucks).

BTW, I also might have been stereotyped because of being young and they asked me if I raced the car while I was telling them about the problem. I told them that I don't and they said that they can check to see what I did through the ECU. I told them to go ahead cuz I don't abuse the car OR race it. Hopefully I get a different tech crew next time around.

cbecker333
08-21-2003, 09:56 AM

He sounded pretty calm to me. Hello, followed by a "!" is about the calmest disagreement I've ever seen on this board.

Lev
08-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by TomR123
Good work lev.

Stop the anger. (you sound like a customer service rep)

I've done far too much customer service. I wasn't really trying to talk him off a ledge; I just figured it was easier to say it that way than FUKKK U F$GOT U SUK COX LOLOL

Also, Homestar rocks, but not as much as Transmet.

TripleJ02
08-21-2003, 06:48 PM
I just got my car back from customer service today.
Originally i took my car to 1 dealer. They couldnt replicate the grinding. My car does it 1-2, not really going to 3rd.
After they had my car nearly 3 days so they could tell me i needed a new shift knob i went to another dealer. (today)

I ended up telling them off cause the guy was treating me like a mindless kid. I work at a car parts store and help at a garage. Im not that clueless on cars.

1) they wouldnt replace the honda symbol that fell off the front of my car cause i did the DIY headlights. Symbol fell off 3 months later.
2) wouldnt repair the faulty molding around my windshield because they dont believe me when i said it came like that. "you hit something didnt you?"
3) They bottomed out my car pulling up their hill to the parking area. I showed the supervisor, he took the car up the hill. Slow as hell, didnt bottom out but i swear those scratches werent there :p
4) They wouldnt even look at my car to see if the synchros were bad. i was stupid and didnt put the stock rims back on.

--But should i have to? will bigger rims actually put more stress on the synchros? Last i checked those were not in relation to the work the transmission is doing, just the shifter.

Anyway i ended that dealer visit on a reallllly bad note so i doubt they are gonna be happy to take me back.
NEXT :p

TezGari
08-21-2003, 07:21 PM
Dealers suck man, they think they can kick you around.....I say, if u still have problems with the dealer write a letter to Honda of America, get names times etc....Also, they should inspect it, its under warranty....

STP03BlueSI
08-21-2003, 07:45 PM
OK i think i have the problem u had.

I shift from 1st to 2nd is fine.

Then i shift from 2nd to 3rd(clutch all the way down and rpms 3-35k), and i get a click/grind feel in the shift knob. I can feel the grinding in the knob, but i really dont get a sound?

3rd to 4th i get a much smaller clicking sound and less feel in the grinding.

4th to 5th fine nothin.

Do i have this problem. I did the break in mile till 1,000(all the shifts were under 3k).

Miles right now is 1452..

BTW my car goes in monday for other issues..If this is the same problem let me know!

Thanks Ephatchers!

03EP3Si
08-21-2003, 11:20 PM
I went to my dealer today and spoke to the manager about this tranny problem shit.... the second i told him i had a tranny issue he said.."3rd gear syncros?... and somtimes 2nd gear? lol i said yup thats it.. apparently there is a problem with these k series trannies.. i even heard the 6 speed on the RSX-S has a nasty problems with 2nd...so there you have it....tranny problems?? take that to honda.. faulty tranny!!

TezGari
08-22-2003, 10:19 AM
STP, what u have is what i have...When i sent it in, the driver who drove my car said, "no i dont hear anything", i told him let me drive, so he sat in it and i drove the car...Then after that i showed him when i shifted above 3K rpm's the sound (crunchy) gets louder....SO the took my car in for about 4 days, they did alot of work that required special parts that had to be ordered.......It was worth it tho, it was very embarassing to shift at 3k+ and hearing this loud scratchy sound as if you grinded your gears...That sucks...People laugh....:(

03EP3Si
08-22-2003, 11:50 AM
yeah man i know tell me about it it sucks

tac379
08-22-2003, 06:33 PM
mine started grinding at 600 miles. i'm pretty sure it was broken before this though b/c at 600 miles was the first time i shifted at higher than 4000 RPMs (very easy break-in). got diagnosed as a defective synchro....now i'm just waiting for the part to arrive to bring it back (they told me to bring it home and just not to shift into 3rd at high rpms....i like that better than a crappy rental or having no car at all). am i wrong to think honda owes me something!? i mean, i bought a car with a defective tranny!

BarracksSi
08-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Honda owes you a fixed tranny -- which they're getting for you.

What else do you want? A Pizza Hut coupon?

TezGari
08-22-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi

I wouldnt mind a pizza hut coupon, im kinda hungry....But in our consumer driven economy, consumers come first, and you have the right choice in your own power to be satisfied...Because if every corporation didnt care about customers they would be out of business because customers would not buy thier products..........Auto Coprs. love to satisfy their customers more than a....umm....ahhhh...Never mind....;)......

But, some customers take that for granted....

PS: If this guy doesnt like the service Honda can give him an "incentive" ( i spelt wrong?) which makes him happy with honda's service...When he is happy with his "Si" he will eventually grow out of it...When he is "2_" for example, he would have a wife/kids (example) thus he will need a family car...Then (what honda wants u to think) he will think, "i loved honda's service/cars, i think i will buy thier car again"...Thats why honda wants to hook people who drive Si's because thier young...I know for some example, i have friends who only drive Ford, Dodge, or even Nissan, because their whole family has driven that brand of autos and found it to be good. So, if you enjoyed your Si in your life, you might want to buy your (2nd lol) minivan for the kids from honda because you enjoyed honda's service/cars....

Wow, big PS i hoped no one gets PS'ed off at my comments....take care guys,:cool: ....

siver-SI
08-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi

LOL. At least they are fixing it with no quetions asked. Tac379 look at some of the problems some people on this board have had trying to get their car fixed.

tac379
08-22-2003, 10:51 PM
trinispeed: exactly my point. they can just fix it, or they can make me happy. my last car was an audi and it had some issues.....and i won't buy another one (at least not brand new from a dealer) b/c of the awful service and complete lack of customer care from them. things break.....that happens. but if they give me some "incentives" as you said, i'm more apt to remember them helping me out than getting a defective product in 3 years when my lease is up. and yeah, in 3 years i'll be 27 and probably be starting to think family sedans and more likely acuras as well. so it's in their best interest to hook me now than to blow me off and make me more upset.

siver-si: yeah, i'm definitely grateful that they didn't try and pin this on me or something (saying i couldn't drive for instance). i'm going to go back through this whole thread and read every post, which i didn't do before. i've had people at dealers make up parts that were broken and i didn't feel like having to put up a fight or justify myself again this time (at an audi dealer, i was once told that a noise the car was making was from the transmission vacuum blowoff). when dealers deny shit is broken, it's one of the most frustrating things ever. especially if the warranty is nearing it's end. but my point of view is this: i purchased a honda b/c of it's amazing record for longterm reliability. the transmission (a MAJOR component) lasted 600 miles before needing to be overhauled. i can almost guarantee that it was broken from day one, b/c the first time i shifted over 5K RPMs was at 600 miles, and that was first time it started grinding. in my opinion, being delivered a car with a defective tranny is not acceptable, and merely fixing it doesn't cut it for me. i'm not asking for the world here, but i'm saying in exchange for having to bring a car back two weeks after purchasing it to have the tranny overhauled, they should at least give me a couple free oil changes or a discount on some OEM parts, or maybe a free cargo net or something.

if this happened at like 10K miles, i'd think it was just a pain in the ass and be glad they were fixing it and thankful for my warranty. but at 6 HUNDRED miles, they better hook me up with something!

and finally, it's AMAZING what you can get for free if you nicely tell someone that you are dissatisfied. if you bitch and yell and swear, you don't get anything. but customer service folks definitely have the ability to hook you up with free stuff, and if you are super nice to them and they feel your pain and are on your side, they can help you out. "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar".

TezGari
08-22-2003, 10:59 PM
Tac...i agree, in this world consumers are an important aspect to all business...But that Pizza hut things got me going........Pizza.......Oh sorry, (ontopic) consumers do one thing, consume, so when they consume they buy, and buy...making the business they buy from grow...I did a paper on International Economics (macro) so i know alot about foreign trade and how it effects both sides (trade partners)...Any one want a paper for Economics? lol...

tac379
08-23-2003, 09:48 AM
I did a paper on International Economics (macro) so i know alot about foreign trade and how it effects both sides (trade partners)...Any one want a paper for Economics? lol...

i might need it next week when i start my first year of econ grad school :D

there's a TSB about the grinding gears for the s2000, rsx, and the last si....i bet it's only a matter of time before it's released for this si. until then, if people are getting blown off by one dealer, they should bring it to another. maybe everyone should post the dealer that fixed their car without giving them a hassle.

TezGari
08-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Yes...I think after a certain number of problems Honda may have a special recall but i doubt it, it doesnt seem to be very big...

YOu want my economics paper, u can have it just put me in your Bibliography....Lol...:D