PDA

View Full Version : Steering column noise?

Civilian
04-12-2004, 08:09 AM
Anybody experienced a scratching noise in the steering column, maybe coming from where the steering wheel is connected to the column?

I've had my EP since November and had never heard this noise before Friday afternoon. Backing out of my driveway, I had to maneuver around a pile of dirt at the end of the drive(wife is putting in flower beds) and as I turned the wheel, I heard what I can best describe as a brief scracthing noise as it passed a certain point turning left and then again as it passed that point turning back to the right to straighten out. As I turned out of my neighborhood, same thing. A quick scratch as it passed a certain point.

It stopped making the noise (or it became less obvious) as I drove, but I

Saturday, same thing although the noise was still audible even after I had been driving about 10 minutes, although somewhat quieter. I went in a store for about 10 minutes and when I came back out, backed out of the parking space, there was the noise again.

Yesterday and today, though, no noise.

I'm in Louisiana and it was pretty warm Friday and Saturday. Yesterday and today it's been much cooler and rainy. I point this out for whatever it's worth.

BlairSpeed
04-12-2004, 08:47 AM
I have the same issue with my steering column. When I turn the wheel left while driving, it sounds like ther is a peice of plastic "clicking" against the steering column. If I apply pressure on the steering wheel it goes away if I press up on the wheel it comes back. I posted about this awhile ago and someone said it was an air bag clip that got loose. I took it to the dealer but they told me they couldnt hear any noises. :rolleyes: The noise does only happen when the wheel is turned at a certain degree to the left, otherwise its okay.

Civilian
04-12-2004, 09:13 AM
If it's an air bag clip, is that likely to affect the operation of the air bag?

Until the noise becomes more regular in my car, I won't bother taking it to the dealership. Mechanics are extremely hard of hearing. Or at least it feels that way. Unless a noise is somewhere between the volume of your horn blowing or the radio cranked up full tilt, you'll get: "One of my mechanics drove and he didn't hear any thing and then I drove and it didn't make the noise for my either. Sorry."

Before you mechanics on the board get your panties in a bunch, I know, I know, people come in with all sorts of weird "noises" and most are a rock in the tire or some figment of their imagination. Then they expect you to look into the engine with your x-ray vision and diagnose the problem.

Still, some of know the difference between a legit noise and an auditory hallucination. Most of the time, anyway.

00002SiR
04-12-2004, 09:38 AM
i have that noise in my car, like a cork is turning as its on the bottle, i think you have to get the steering column greased or something like that

glw
04-12-2004, 05:49 PM
if the ep3 is like other cars, it could be the signal return parts. tthe stuff that turns off the turn signal after youv'e made the turn. take it to the dealer- it's probably still under warranty.

jaepoori
04-12-2004, 08:21 PM
i have the same friggin annoying problem....

blackthreat
04-12-2004, 08:28 PM
there are a ton of people on this site that have the same problem and I will say it first before someone chimes in with this answer. IT IS NOT THE LEFT STRUT. Sorry about that but everytime someone posts a problem like this it is dispelled to the right stut. I've had this same problem for like 6 months now. It absolutely annoys the shit out of me. Im at 29,964 miles right now so I'd love to know what the problem is.

civicSIracer
04-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by jaepoori
i have the same friggin annoying problem....
i have the same annoying fucking problem.. the cork in the bottle best describes it.. honda said it sucks that you lowered your car..