PDA

View Full Version : SERIOUS tie rod problem

the1986
04-12-2004, 03:31 PM
i lowered my car a few weekends ago and i took it apart again today in order to grease up the perch. I got every bolt back on, but the bolt that goes with the tie rod wont go back on. The thread begins to spin . . . i tried the other side and the bolt goes on just fine. Did i possibly strip the tie rod??? if i needed to have that replaced how difficult is it? would a honda dealership carry that??? sorry about all the questions but im starting to freak out because i cant get my car back together. Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

-Teal

siver-SI
04-12-2004, 03:38 PM
OK this is easy. Take a hammer and hit the top of the tie rod to get it into place. From there start to thread it. My one tread got dammaged so I had to do this. The tie rod does need to pivit and turn so if it is hard the tread and if it does not have any resistance it will spin.

bobdobbs
04-12-2004, 03:40 PM
I assume you're talking about the 17mm nut on the ball joint that connects to the strut. Just press the ball joint down so it seats tightly in the strut arm and then tighten the nut. Use a C-clamp or big-ass pliers if you don't have enough hand strength to get the ball joint to seat.

the1986
04-12-2004, 03:44 PM
I'll give that a try.
Thanks!

-Teal

ep_nezay
04-12-2004, 04:05 PM
If that didnt work.
Air tools would solve that.

siver-SI
04-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by ep_nezay
If that didnt work.
Air tools would solve that.

Yea but that is a good way to strip out the treads too. I love air tools, but they strip easy too. :(

the1986
04-13-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, i finally got it back on, but, it seems like the bolt is not as far up as it was to begin with. And when i turn my steering wheel it click sometimes, like its not all the way on, but the bolt is on, and the cauter pin is on too. D Oi maybe need to replace some grease in that bearing thingy???? Thanks for any help

-Teal

PS Sorry to the mod, i only put it in EP discussion because i wanted everybody to see it and that is the forum with the most action

bobdobbs
04-13-2004, 10:43 AM
What do you mean by far up? It should go down into the strut, not up. Maybe you should post a pic.

And, no, you shouldn't need to repack the grease. These things actually need very little grease; they're not spinning like wheel bearings.

the1986
04-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Sorry, the bolt goes down, but i meant the nut is not going up high enough, sorry for the confusion, ill try to post a pic tonight

-Teal

VNlilMAN
04-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Repack it with grease? how did it come out in the first place? I'm thinking its torn? ya torn boots sometimes cause clicking