PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Stages (HELP !)

epSleepy
04-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Hey I just picked up my new '04 ep3 a few days ago and i'm at the 300 mile mark (w00t).
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzUxOTEyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
Anyway onto the question where you knowledgable guys help me make a few important decisions. My problem is that I want to go turbo but really don't feel like investing money into mods for now that will have to be taken off for the turbo kit in the future. I was thinking of doing exhaust first (greddy evo or evo 2) but was wondering if it's a direct bolt up to their turbo kit and/or revhard's. My next question is about the mid pipes i've been hearing so much about, will that be compatible with the turbo kit later on or will it have to go ? And finally what is the diameter of the stock exhaust system, could I get away with just the mid pipe and stock catback with the turbo kit or would i be robbing myself. Your help is appreciated THX

HondCivc91
04-12-2004, 06:21 PM
i dont know about the questions but i love the 04 white ep. its exactly what i'm lookin to get soon! ;) more pics!

BlasTech
04-12-2004, 06:23 PM
If you are REALLY serious about turbo, there is a MBRP(?) stainless mandrel bent 2.25" midpipe up for grabs in the classifieds somewhere that might be just right. If you're dying to mod, start by upgrading your tires, and wheels too if you can afford it... and suspension, too...at least springs.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by epSleepy
Hey I just picked up my new '04 ep3 a few days ago and i'm at the 300 mile mark (w00t).
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzUxOTEyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
Anyway onto the question where you knowledgable guys help me make a few important decisions. My problem is that I want to go turbo but really don't feel like investing money into mods for now that will have to be taken off for the turbo kit in the future. I was thinking of doing exhaust first (greddy evo or evo 2) but was wondering if it's a direct bolt up to their turbo kit and/or revhard's. My next question is about the mid pipes i've been hearing so much about, will that be compatible with the turbo kit later on or will it have to go ? And finally what is the diameter of the stock exhaust system, could I get away with just the mid pipe and stock catback with the turbo kit or would i be robbing myself. Your help is appreciated THX

Yes, cat-back exhaust and/or midpipes are compatible with turbo.
If you're definitely going turbo get a 2.5" exhaust. If it's going to be a while before the turbo, get a 2.5" resonated midpipe and keep the stock muffler for now, then once the turbo is on just install a nice universal muffer.
Other than that, pretty much anything else you do to the engine will be ditched once the turbo goes on.
So focus on your suspension/wheels in the meantime.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by epSleepy
Hey Blastech i'm interested in what u're saying but why do you put so much emphasis on "if you REALLY are goin turbo."
Is the midpipe going to give me any unforseen problems while i'm temporarily running N/A ? Turbo kit will be in by mid-june GUARENTEED.

Btw I'll post more pics, the one up top is from my camera phone ;)

Unless a bit more power and noise are "problems", no.

What turbo kit are you going with....just curious....

edit: whoops, sorry i caught your post before you deleted it. :)

epSleepy
04-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Probably Greddy or Cybernation turbo kit but having trouble deciding. Kinda sux that the greddy intercooler has to be bought seperate. Btw there are more pics coming, I had to take that one with my camera phone. I'll post more once the sun comes back out.

BlasTech
04-12-2004, 06:44 PM
an EXTRA large midpipe could rob more low-end torque than you'd want for a NA setup... its been done, thats all. But its a good thing for FI setups! :)

but still, even with everything stock except the turbo... TRACTION will need to be addressed... at the very least with tires.