PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear loose?

civic hatch boi
10-10-2002, 10:24 PM
wut does it mean if my 3rd gear can come out w/o pressing in the clutch...?

02SilverSiHB
10-11-2002, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
wut does it mean if my 3rd gear can come out w/o pressing in the clutch...?
damn! that's not good. it means your tranny is going to go shit eventually.....has this happened more than once? I know when I had my other civic, the 3rd gear started popping, till I had to keep it forced in. Then the tranny went. Are you abusing the tranny or what?

DynaSpeed
10-11-2002, 07:07 AM
wut does it mean if my 3rd gear can come out w/o pressing in the clutch Are you saying that it comes out without the clutch with a little hand effort? or it just falls out of 3rd?

All my gears come out without clutch and a little hand effort if the rev-match is within about 1k. Comparably, it does come out quite easy.

02SilverSiHB
10-11-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
Are you saying that it comes out without the clutch with a little hand effort? or it just falls out of 3rd?

All my gears come out without clutch and a little hand effort if the rev-match is within about 1k. Comparably, it does come out quite easy.
ah, yeah, good point. I was thinking he was saying he doesn't try to pull it out himself.....so yeah, do you pull the shifter out of gear yourself? that can happen, at like lets say 3k rpm in 4th gear, you may be able to pull it out....so if you were relaxing your hand on the shifter at that point and it came out, it's probably nothing, that's normal.

but if you were driving along and it popped right out, not a good sign

todaCspec
10-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Are you saying that it comes out without the clutch with a little hand effort? or it just falls out of 3rd?

very good point! all most had me worried there. it does feel quite effortless when shifting.

Burgh
10-11-2002, 10:04 AM
Maybe I have the same problem. My first and second gears (mostly my first) will sometimes pop out with very little effort when I go to upshift. Almost like it wasn't fully into the gear in the first place. Don't know if this is serious and it doesn't happen all the time so I know that when I take it in the mechanics are gonna tell me everything is cool.

sonic imperial
10-11-2002, 11:08 AM
I have the same problem, if it is a problem. First gear "pops" out sometimes like it wasn't fully in gear when I go to put it in second. It never grinds in first but it's like it wasn't pushed up far enough or something, it feels weird.

HondaMan
10-11-2002, 12:55 PM

Yep!