PDA

View Full Version : long term boost

SiGuy
04-13-2004, 12:35 PM
OK. I've decided that the greddy is the choice for me. But I have a few questions. I plan on keeping my ep for a long time, and doing a lot of autocross. Running the greddy with no more than 7 psi(and a intercooler) realisticaly how long will the turbo hold up and what kind of problems, if any, can I expect in the long term. I just need a little reasurance before I drop 3k plus.

emosubaru
04-13-2004, 01:38 PM
drive the car like your grandmother would(or someone with no muscles to push down the accelerator) and it should last tre long.

but if you autocross it... there is no such thing as long term boost. in the words of fry of futurama-

FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT! FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT!

hahaha no seriously just be prepared to treat your car extra nice and keep her in tune all the time. get all the necessary guages (boost, EGT, A/Fmix) to be sure you're not overboosting due to boost creep or fuel problems. it'll also help you see any potential or immenent problems(exhaust leaks, fuel system malfunctions, turbo inefficiency due to abused bearings or exhaust turbine or oil leaks...)

also, don't let your gas tank get below a 1/4th full, because the stock pump isn't meant to pump so much and if you stomp it and they're not enough gas you'll lean out and can blow gaskets. it happened to my friend!

but really, as long as you don't drive it hard it's not going to be terribly hard to maintain. if you're planning on autocrossing you should also plan on having to do maintanence meticulously and from time to time repairs. as long as you stay on top of your engine and don't push the envelope in terms of adding boost before the system or engine's ready for it, it should be managable.

i'd like to give you assurance that everything will be great... but i really don't think there's any to be given. turbo systems, especially on n/a cars, are always going to be a difficult and potentially dangerous endeavor.

but it's sooo fun! do it.:cool:

SiGuy
04-14-2004, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the much needed info. Thankfully I have a Honda master tech at my disposal, but he has never boosted a K(but he's sooo ready) so I figured I'd ask here before pulling him out from under a honda.

CSMsi311
04-15-2004, 01:25 PM
I've got a b16, but i've been boosted (6psi) for almost 5 years and 45k. Engine still runs fine even though it's still not fully tuned. As long as it gets tuned you'll be fine for a long time.