PDA

View Full Version : SI or RSX-S

OU71
04-13-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm new to this forum, and am considering an SI or an RSX-S. I'm a family man who owned my first Honda probably before most of this forum's members were born. I'd like to get an extra car to tool around in, and I've always loved small, quick cars. While I could afford the Acura, with the discounts given on the SI, I'd save about $6,500 by buying it instead. Anyone who has driven both, how much better is the RSX-S over the SI. I know the HP difference and leather interior difference, but is there more to it than that? I've not yet driven either, but probably the SI would be quick enough for me. Any responses would be appreciated.
By the way, I'm not fimiliar with the initials "EP". Why is it used instead of Civic SI?

Thanks
Marty

vasi
04-13-2004, 06:00 PM
I have driven both. I love the ep you get looks all the time. There is way more room in the back of the ep and the RSX is a soon to be a ME TOO car. meaning that you will be like I have and RSX and the person your talking to is like ME TOO.

just my 2 cents

the JigGa mAn
04-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by OU71
I'm new to this forum, and am considering an SI or an RSX-S. I'm a family man who owned my first Honda probably before most of this forum's members were born. I'd like to get an extra car to tool around in, and I've always loved small, quick cars. While I could afford the Acura, with the discounts given on the SI, I'd save about $6,500 by buying it instead. Anyone who has driven both, how much better is the RSX-S over the SI. I know the HP difference and leather interior difference, but is there more to it than that? I've not yet driven either, but probably the SI would be quick enough for me. Any responses would be appreciated.
By the way, I'm not fimiliar with the initials "EP". Why is it used instead of Civic SI?

Thanks
Marty

i would personally go with the Si..if you are saving about $6500 that is extra money to play with..the rsx-s is a 6 speed mt to the sis 5 speed mt

i have been told my many people that my si has a roomier back seat compared to a friends rsx-s and that my si seats look cooler than the rsx-s seats.

ep3 is the chasis code for the 02-04 si like ek for the previous gen civic hatch or eg for the gen before

hope this helps a bit and welcome to the board hope your happy with what ever you decide to purchase :)

myeverlovinsir
04-13-2004, 06:03 PM
6500 will make the Si quicker, I got a mix. The best of both worlds and then some overseas stuff. IMO you will like the Si more for family purposes as well.;)

brian1g
04-13-2004, 08:29 PM
i own both and when i go out to cruise i take the ep3 8/10 times. the ep3 is just more fun to drive imo. if you are just worried about speed the rsx-s is the faster by far. but then again if you are just worried about speed there are faster cars for less money than the rsx-s too. my vote ,ep3 :cool: .

Black 02 SI
04-13-2004, 08:40 PM
like everyone else says. if you are looking for speed, rsx is def faster. the ep is roomier, and more practical in my opinion. plus you dont see the ep every other corner you turn. also $6500 is a lot of money difference that can be used to buy something else with.

Stealth Wedgy
04-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Ep3+turbo kit....faster than the Stock Type-S and you still have just under 3000 in your pocket....and enough speed to make you wet your pants

EP3.. 2.. 1 GO
04-13-2004, 10:09 PM
I love my Ep3 !!!:)

Dres97
04-13-2004, 10:21 PM
I was gonna get a RSX type S then i got sent to the shittiest state America (north dakota) has to offer and guess what they dont even have an Acura dealer here!

VividDreams
04-13-2004, 10:41 PM
i agree, the Si is pretty much identical to the RSX-S or better than it in most cases except for power/speed.

it handles just as well, gets more looks, is less common, is roomier, is cheaper, the list goes on and on

Advantage: EP

DarkSiRacer
04-13-2004, 10:49 PM
How about a Si WITH a RSX Type S Engine AHHHHH:)

YooShin
04-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Both obviously have great aftermarket potential but if your looking for the more practical choice from a stock stand point, I would go with EP3. Though I'm not a family man, yet, I figure you for the same age/demo as myself. I did some in depth research before picking the Si, looking into such factors as insurance, operating, and maintanance cost. The Si is cheaper to insure, gets marginally better mpg, and the up-keep for normal wear and tear items are considerably less. But like many others and yourself, the purchase cost is to attractive, thus was the selling point for me. Overall, it is unique and you don't see to many of them due to it's take or leave it styling. Other choices you might want to consider are: Ford Focus SVT which a co-worker of mine picked up for $10K(!) new with some rebates (it's falling apart already). VW GTi is a very refined and will fitted car, with power but I've heard issues with quality on them as well. The new Mazda 3 is an excellent choice which was not out when I was prospecting. Instead I test drove the Protege wagon (absolutly no power) and the Mazdaspeed Protege ( a little to Fast To Furious for my taste). You ought to surf some of the RSX forums also to get a flavor from owners there. Good luck with your choice!

japanese
04-13-2004, 11:08 PM
dont listen to these biased guys. get a typeS, better car, enough said.

bao_pay
04-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Originality. People don't care if you drive an RSX. Everyone and thier mom has one! Plus you save 10g's CDN on the car which you can spend elsewhere. You don't sound like the kinda guy whos too in modding out the car, but just want a car to have fun with which is somewhat practical and the EP is way more practical then the RSX. Maintenance and parts are way cheaper at a Honda dealership and so is the insurance so the savings don't end when you sign the dotted line.

DarkSiRacer
04-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by bao_pay
Originality. People don't care if you drive an RSX. Everyone and thier mom has one!

That's right... RSX is a good car but it won't turn heads like the Si

OF COURSE we're BIASED, This is EPHATCH.COM, at ClubRSX they'd say the RSX is better, at the SRT 4 site they might say forget honda. Most owners would say that their car is better. We're biased but we give props to the RSX as needed

AzN Si GuY
04-14-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by DarkSiRacer
That's right... RSX is a good car but it won't turn heads like the Si

OF COURSE we're BIASED, This is EPHATCH.COM, at ClubRSX they'd say the RSX is better, at the SRT 4 site they might say forget honda. Most owners would say that their car is better. We're biased but we give props to the RSX as needed

You couldn't have said it better. *props* In the styling department. the rsx just looks boring sitting next to an EP. Sure the type-S is faster but in the end the EP was just a better car for me.

Jay H
04-14-2004, 06:36 AM
I'm 35, with two kids and a wife. The EP is definitely a very versatile car for family life if need be. The hatch helps rear seat head room and with the rear seats folded down, you can get a lot of stuff in there when you're at Home Depot.

Also, the Si is a bit more understated than the RSX, so that might be better for less visibility at work. Sometimes that matters, sometimes not.

I do like the RSX models and think they are some of the best small sports cars built right now. But, I'd save the $6500 and put it in a college fund for my kids or my 401(k) or an IRA or...

Jay

Mickey
04-14-2004, 07:50 AM
Im 36 and got 3 kids. I bought the EP just for my commute to work.
I use my Honda Pilot when Im with the kids. I am very happy with the car. I test drove RSX-S, I like the handling of SI better. Its faster no doubt about it but it can save you a lot of money that you can spend to mod and make the ep faster than the RSX-S. Eventually the EP
will be rare and I like it that way.:D

NemesisITR
04-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by DarkSiRacer
How about a Si WITH a RSX Type S Engine AHHHHH:)

Thats what I say!!! :D

EP3_DC5
04-14-2004, 12:00 PM
Ignorance ownz you all.
If you have the money get the RSX-S. It is a superior car. Handles better, brakes better, is a lot faster (with a TON more potential to boot) and is better on gas mileage (in our case at least RSX:31mpg/SI:29mpg). Better interior (seats, materials, climate control, gauges), more trunk floor space (not in height however), better warranty, better service. Looks are arguable, but imo the RSX is a cleaner looking car even though a lot of people have them, but the Si with a drop, wheels, blackouts is hot as hell, like ours. :D
Yes, I had both for a year until I recently sold my RSX and I love the EP very much, but the fact remains that it is inferior to the RSX-S no matter how you look at it. You just have to weigh $$$ vs performance vs value.
In my opinion despite my rant, you should still get the SI. hahaha

FCobra94
04-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by EP3_DC5
Ignorance ownz you all.
If you have the money get the RSX-S. It is a superior car.
IMO, maybe in some aspects, but not in others. I work at an Acura dealership and get to drive base RSX's as well the the S's, everyday. I feel the interior of the RSX is horrible for the most part. I love how the gauges, a/c controls, and radio are all very well layed out, but the seats (ESPECIALLY the leather seats) are horrible. Very cheap feeling and uncomfortable. For a car that costs that much more, and being an Acura none the less, I feel that the price difference is not worth it.

Since your next car will be an extra car to tool around in, I feel that an 04 Si would probably be perfect. You can get it for cheap and have a few extra bucks to play around with to do a few things to it to make it suit your needs even better. I feel it's an excellent value and quite a bit more practical as well. Plus, it is extremely easy and very fun to drive :)

If I had enough money to buy an RSX-S, I'd definitly be shopping for something else. (HINT: AWD and turbo would be at the top of my list ;))

EP3_DC5
04-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by FCobra94
IMO, maybe in some aspects, but not in others. I work at an Acura dealership and get to drive base RSX's as well the the S's, everyday. I feel the interior of the RSX is horrible for the most part. I love how the gauges, a/c controls, and radio are all very well layed out, but the seats (ESPECIALLY the leather seats) are horrible. Very cheap feeling and uncomfortable. For a car that costs that much more, and being an Acura none the less, I feel that the price difference is not worth it.

How do you figure the interior is horrible? The materials feel a lot better to the touch, the seats have height adjustment and lumbar adjustment and are more comfortable because of that. The SI and RSX seats are identical except for that ( I do agree that the leather isn't the best quality).
Another thing is the feel of the car, the RSX just feels more substantial. Close the door on an RSX-S and then on an SI and you'll see what I mean.

k20hatch
04-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Ep + Type-s Motor = OOOOOWWWWWEEEEE

audomatik
04-14-2004, 12:53 PM
So if you loved your RSX-S so much, why did you sell it?

FCobra94
04-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by EP3_DC5
Another thing is the feel of the car, the RSX just feels more substantial. Close the door on an RSX-S and then on an SI and you'll see what I mean.
I agree with that, although IMO, it's a lot more subtle than I was expecting :confused:

I mean, the car has just as many rattles as do the EP's, etc. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from it? I don't know...

Regardless, nothing against the RSX and I hope I didn't come off as disrespectful. I mean, the cars looks and performance are killer, there's no doubt about it, but it's just not for me...maybe I should have just mentioned that earlier :angel:

the JigGa mAn
04-14-2004, 02:07 PM
everyone has said ep + type s motor....but if hes gonna have a saving of $6500 id say ep + K20A motor!!!!

CaTiRo
04-14-2004, 02:11 PM
doesn't a stock ep with a turbo kit make more power than a swap with the k20a2 or k20a??

the JigGa mAn
04-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by CaTiRo
doesn't a stock ep with a turbo kit make more power than a swap with the k20a2 or k20a??

i think so...but if he wants to go all motor then he can swap

ace
04-14-2004, 02:25 PM
get a ep3:) :)

emosubaru
04-14-2004, 02:36 PM
the only way to tell is to go out and drive them both for yourself.

the acura is going to be a lot more luxurious, but they'll both be sporty.

if you have a family, i'd say go with the si, it'll be peppy and fun but with the money you save you could either make it way more of a performer or spend the money on your family. do you have kids that may drive this car or are they grown up and out of the house already? if they'll be driving it in the future, you may want to go with the Si... it's all up to you though, you have to go test drive each.

EP3_DC5
04-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by audomatik
So if you loved your RSX-S so much, why did you sell it?

$$$ and I wanted something RWD. I never said it was the greatest car ever, it's just better than the EP3. I have/had both, keep that in mind, and I love the EP3 (notice that we still have that and not my RSX).

emosubaru
04-14-2004, 02:38 PM

If I had enough money to buy an RSX-S, I'd definitly be shopping for something else. (HINT: AWD and turbo would be at the top of my list ;))

hehe... i as well would agree with this...

EP3_DC5
04-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
everyone has said ep + type s motor....but if hes gonna have a saving of $6500 id say ep + K20A motor!!!!

Screw that. You'd end up blowing that whole wad on just the motor/tranny installation and misc parts needed.
Do suspension, $2K, wheels $1500, body $1500, i/e/hondata $1300, new brake pads/ss lines/fluid $200
There you have it, a great handling/braking/looking 14 sec car. =)

CaTiRo
04-14-2004, 02:49 PM
or get 4 doors and speed

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/bym/img/nov03/WHEELS08Gbig.gif

iVtec si
04-14-2004, 03:24 PM

do the K20a swap then boost, that's my plan!

peace

emosubaru
04-14-2004, 03:43 PM
or get 4 doors and speed

yeah if you like cars with terrible crash ratings and no traction...

they're fast but the "street racing" image dodge is selling with it is just shameless. i can't help thinking people will die because they have a car capable of quick acceleration and high speeds, but unsafe enough to withstand a wreck at said highspeed. all this at a price affordable enough so that people that lack the experience and sense to stay out of hazardous situations can afford it.

it's a brilliant idea, i must say.

and yes, i still want one:D

FCobra94
04-14-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by emosubaru
yeah if you like cars with terrible crash ratings and no traction...

they're fast but the "street racing" image dodge is selling with it is just shameless.
I agree. That doesn't take away from the car, but unfortunatly many new SRT-4's have been finding themselves into trees because of this :(

DarkSiRacer
04-14-2004, 06:39 PM
I agree. That doesn't take away from the car, but unfortunatly many new SRT-4's have been finding themselves into trees because of this :(

Yup to worse mod of all.... the infamous TREE Conversion... :D

Supraru
04-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by VividDreams
i agree, the Si is pretty much identical to the RSX-S or better than it in most cases except for power/speed.

it handles just as well, gets more looks, is less common, is roomier, is cheaper, the list goes on and on

Advantage: EP

Gets more looks? Any time I or anyone I know see's an si go by we don't stare at it. I think the Rsx looks way better then the ep. If I were to buy one I would choose the Type-s, it's an all around better car. I don't have either car so I'm not telling you to buy it because I own one.

eurosteez
04-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Dres97
I was gonna get a RSX type S then i got sent to the shittiest state America (north dakota) has to offer and guess what they dont even have an Acura dealer here!

ouch
that sucks.