PDA

View Full Version : boost help of course

IIx 03 EP xII
04-14-2004, 08:15 PM
help me out guys:

i am planning on getting a turbo for my car by the end of this summer. now i have a few questions. this is a daily driver car, so i need it to last a long long time. i am not trying to build a race car here, but i want to be able to play with some v8's when i feel like it. now i had decided on the greddy kit, but im still a little unsure. which kit would be the best to get me at around 250 whp? the hondata FI flash would be nice too. im a newb to boost, but i want to learn. so guys please help me out. which kit would be the easiest/best for me? thanks.

-preston

bgsteve523
04-15-2004, 06:24 AM
greddy kit + I/C + Hondata + 8lbs of boost = 260WHP!

yomamaInMySi
04-15-2004, 07:06 AM
I did the same research (daily driver car) and every one told me to go with JRSC, the only thing is that it would be hard to get 250 at the wheels (Some one correct me if I am wrong). Why JRSC over the turbo? According to people with knowledge the turbo kit is geared towards people that plan to upgrade and are always looking to spend the money and time on tuning and such. Again, this isn't my suggestion, this is the suggestion of what people with knowledge told me.

IIx 03 EP xII
04-15-2004, 07:08 AM
well i would go the supercharge route, but it doesnt give very good gains for the money. also... i love the sound of turbos w/ a BOV and the look of an intercooler tucked behind the grill. cant you put an intercooler on a supercharger? are there any other ways to get good gains with a supercharger? cuz i know that superchargers are easier to maintain for a daily driver car.

emosubaru
04-15-2004, 08:52 AM
less can go wrong with a supercharger but you won't be making enough boost to really need an intercooler unless you upgrade pulleys and what not.

boost isn't something to get into if you just want to "play with V8s" and have an intercooler visible on your car.

go the supercharger route, but don't expect to make all that much power.

yomamaInMySi
04-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Like I said before I was 99 percent sold on the turbo, 'til I rode on a supercharged ep and I loved it, the thing pulled like crazy and it sounded awesome, not like a turbo with a bov, but very close. The guy was running headers, denso iridium plugs, intake and exhaust, HKS ground wires, knology wires and he told me that he was at about 197whp. If I get 190whp on my car, I'd be happy 'cause to me that's plenty for what I intend to do. Now if you want crazy hp and plan to want more later on, then go with the turbo.

bgsteve523
04-15-2004, 09:37 AM
JRSC is great but you are very limited on your power. You can only go so high with the kit. What sold me on the turbo was more bang for the buck and if you invest more money you can run an I/C, up boost and have crazy amounts of power. I have the greddy kit and that thing has like no lag it spools so damn fast. Plus you gotta love the bov sound makes people's heads snap on the road as you blow by. GREAT STUFF :D

vasi
04-15-2004, 09:48 AM
I'm going to run the supercharger on my ITR k20a with a frount mount Intercooler this will make it more reliable. And help keep the air temp down. And should help out with top end power.

jimmyjames
04-15-2004, 10:10 AM
My advice would be to go with the JRSC. There is no need at all for an intercooler; especially if you use a CAI with it.
The only main reason to have an intercooler with a turbo is because the air is going through a turbine located at the exhaust manifold where the temp gets really freakin' high.
I personally am trying to wait until the race version comes out because in all likelyhood, the Hondata reflash for the JRSC will be available then too.
Keep that in mind, greddy turbo and hondata are working now but the reflash for the JRSC and the K20A3 are not released yet. If you are going hondata for sure, best bet is to go for the K-pro so you don't have to reflash again after the SC.

The great thing about the JRSC in my opinion is that they have it made up so that under normal driving conditions the supercharger isn't really doing anything; little to no boost. However, when you start to lay on the gas a little, the thing will open up and you'll take off. This is a really nice thing for the daily driver.

In the end, turbo will get you more horsepower and may be a bit more time consuming for the install and a SC will get you more towards bolt on power (a decent amount too) that can be done in less than a day. JRSC also claims that it's product will not void any warranties. I would not hold them completely to that but I would definately check with your local dealer to see if they will work on your car after the install. In my mind, turbo in the long run =$$$. A supercharger = fun now without thinking about spending more later. Don't worry about all the talk on here regarding $ spent/hp increase. That can be a little ridiculous at times. Are we really all trying to get 300whp for under $5K? What's the point? unless you take it to the strip all the time, you just need a decent amount of (reliable) power so that you enjoy driving it and the ass in the neon next to you can go screw himself

vasi
04-15-2004, 10:42 AM
This would help out alot having an intercooler That is like having an aftercooler on a vortec SC. the air will be cooler and there for would help out on a high comp engine.

Plus I get a frount mount. NICE

Thanks

IIx 03 EP xII
04-15-2004, 11:30 AM
if i go supercharger... then how are some ways i can get more power out of it? cuz i dont want to spend that much money for 40 horses gained. and i dont care all about the looks and sound. i just want something that will surprise people and that is lots of fun to drive.

bgsteve523
04-15-2004, 01:18 PM
samething with a turbo you are not under boost just tooling around but once you start to press that peddle BAM your gone its a great feeling. :D

IIx 03 EP xII
04-15-2004, 05:12 PM
what about lsd's and clutch upgrades? where is the best place to find those? and what are some good ones? does the ctr lsd fit on our car?

bgsteve523
04-15-2004, 08:57 PM
from what I understand any K series car that has LSD like the dc5 will fit with no mods. Just take out stock put in new :D

IIx 03 EP xII
04-16-2004, 09:04 PM
alright, well ive decided on the greddy kit w/ the i/c and all the goodies (better clutch, and flywheel, and lsd). thanks for the information guys. does anybody know if the greddy kit comes in anything besides blue? i would like a black one or something more neutral.

bgsteve523
04-17-2004, 07:40 AM
no they only have blue sorry