PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 mile Check

Civicvtec1ps
04-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Tire rotation.
http://a8.cpimg.com/image/3E/D0/32313918-cc17-025801C2-.jpg
http://a9.cpimg.com/image/3F/D0/32313919-c4f4-025801C2-.jpg
While beneficial in many ways, tire rotation cannot correct mechanical problems or problems caused by incorrect tire inflation.
* On front wheel drive cars, rotate the tires in a forward cross pattern (fig. A) or the alternative X pattern (fig. B)

* On rear wheel or four wheel drive vehicles, rotate the tires in a rearward cross pattern (fig. C) or the alternative X pattern (fig. B)

* If you car has directional wheels or tires, rotate them as shown in fig D.

* If you car has non-directional tires that are a different size from front to rear, rotate them as shown in fig. E.
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=1873557
Tire rotation is an important part of vehicle maintenance. Rotating your high performance tires every 3,000 to 5,000 miles as recommended can provide performance advantages, even out tire wear and preserve balanced handling and traction of the tires.

Oil change.
Change oil every 3000 miles regardless what Honda says.
Check all fluids.
Check Brakes.
Check Windshield Wipers
Reset the "maintenance req'd" light.
To reset it =
Hold down the trip/odometer button on the gauge cluster.
Don't let it go
Then put key in ignition and turn to the position #2 or "on" position.
When in that position look at the maintenice lightwhen it goses out it is reset.
Release the button. Then start the car.
I also checked Tie Rod boot.
http://a6.cpimg.com/image/3C/D0/32313916-c5e0-025801C2-.jpg
Driver Side boot was torned for over 4 months.
I am too lazy to change it..

Delear Charges $150-200 for 10,000 mile check.
Look at Rear sway bar Endlinks.
http://a4.cpimg.com/image/26/CF/32313894-c9e6-025801C2-.jpg
Front Sway bar Endlinks.
http://a6.cpimg.com/image/28/CF/32313896-2534-025801C2-.jpg
Clean Wheels.
In and Out.
http://a3.cpimg.com/image/25/CF/32313893-c4a2-025801C2-.jpg
Check Tire Pressure.
I am running 35PSI.

Dealer Charges $150-200 for this.
You can do this at home.

sabrownfl
04-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Your dealer rips you off! I paid $77 for the full-on 10k service, saved me the effort since I was already there for warranty repair of my rear window wiper motor.

DIY gets you in touch with your car though!

sabrownfl

downhil
04-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by sabrownfl
Your dealer rips you off! I paid $77 for the full-on 10k service, saved me the effort since I was already there for warranty repair of my rear window wiper motor.

DIY gets you in touch with your car though!

sabrownfl

im thinking you got the short end of that stick. there is no effort involved...$77 to rotate tires and look at other stuff? ill pass.

IIx 03 EP xII
04-15-2004, 06:23 PM
ive got 15.5k miles and my maintenance req'd light is just now coming on... what does this mean? i dont need an oil change for another 1000 miles (i change my oil every 3k miles)... i know i probably need a tire rotation.

sabrownfl
04-15-2004, 06:36 PM
Actually tire rotation, oil/filter change, and general inspection. While I was there I also had the rear wiper motor assembly replaced (under warranty), the shift boot replaced (it was torn, replaced under warranty), and a rattling issue in the driver's side door resolved (don't know what they did but the rattle is gone). Dealership deals with the waste (used) oil and all the cleanup.

With a FT job and a wife and two kids that I want to spend time with, the time is more important to me than the money. I had to make a trip to the dealership for warranty repairs anyway, so while I was there it was more convenient for me to have them do the work than to set aside the time and do it on my own. Trust me, I spend plenty of time tinkering with the EP!

Too many people confuse cost with value. In this case, for me at least, $77 was a VALUE too good to pass up. I spent the rest of my day riding bikes with the family. That was priceless.

sabrownfl

pedzola
04-15-2004, 06:36 PM
I'm at about 8500 miles... I'm gonna do this this weekend. I have a ripped boot and had to special order one from honda. I dunno where to get the grease I need though? =(

I'm comin up on my 3rd oil change but haven't yet been able to change the filter. Anyone have any ideas how to get a filter off that is practically welded to the f%@!ing car?

It takes over a month to get an appointment at a honda dealership I dunno wtf I'm gonna do. =(

bobdobbs
04-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Changing the tie rod boots is easy. I don't think the grease you use is super-critical, since these things aren't spinning like wheel bearings. I used marine grease, which is thick and won't run. If that's wrong for some reason, somebody chime in. ;)

SSMep3
04-16-2004, 08:32 AM
pedzola- mine was on there like he-man put it on there. So what i did was i bought one of those caps that fit over the end of the oil filter. The smallest that i could buy was still too big for our filter so i took a bounty paper towel and i lined the cap with it. I tried it like that and it worked......just a thought cap is like couple bux from any auto store. What you might want to do is bring your new filter with you to the store and see if one fits it. Oh it also connects to the end of a ratchet w/o that i couldnt have gotten it off.-jon:D

enecks
04-16-2004, 08:36 AM
i paid $94 at economy honda in chattanooga a couple weeks ago for my 10k mile service. this is my first new car, so i'm trying to follow the maintenence program rather stringently; thus, if honda says to change the oil at 5,000 miles instead of the 3,000 i'm used to, damnit, i'm not changin the oil til 5,000. i figure they've done enough research to know what's best *shrug*.

the JigGa mAn
04-16-2004, 09:05 AM
very OT...but Civicvtec1ps your pics are cool...that little faded edge thing is awesome..

potator
04-19-2004, 02:00 AM
Our the stock tires on the 02-03 EPs directional or non-directional?

potator
04-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
very OT...but Civicvtec1ps your pics are cool...that little faded edge thing is awesome..

Anyone?

jserman
04-20-2004, 10:04 AM
use a strap wrench to get your filter off that is the way I do it..

blueiedgod
04-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by pedzola
I'm comin up on my 3rd oil change but haven't yet been able to change the filter. Anyone have any ideas how to get a filter off that is practically welded to the f%@!ing car?

You should change the filter with every oil change.

You can buy a socket for that filter either at Honda or auto parts store, it has knob that fits most wrenches or rachets, whichever you get. The strap idea is OK, but very uncomfortable and knuckle scraping. Once you get the filter off, check if the gasket came off as well. A gasket stuck to the block will do a job on your oil levels.

A ghetto way is to drive a screwdriver through the body, but it gets really messy.

When you put the filter back, grease up the seal and only tighten by hand until you can no longer turn it. That way it will come off easier next time. Just check for leaks when you fill the engine with oil and have it running. I usually pour 1/8 quart of oil into the filter itself to prime it. Just let it all absorb and install, that way it will not leak out.

dj addicted
04-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by potator
Our the stock tires on the 02-03 EPs directional or non-directional?

Dont quote me 100%, but I believe they are directional.. I know most aftermarket tires are definately directional. If anything.. call your honda dealership and ask the service department.

Jay H
04-20-2004, 07:42 PM
There is a new thread on the stock tires and if they are directional or not. The stock tires are non directional. You can mount them in any position on the car.