PDA

View Full Version : how long to wait to wax car?

EP-Three
04-15-2004, 05:33 PM
I was wondering... People were telling me that I have to wait 6 months to a year to wax my car? is this true for honda, and why is this so if it is true. My car was manufactured in novermeber of 2003. Its a white 2004 EP3

TIA

-ROB

SiR_d1
04-15-2004, 05:50 PM
i've never heard that before...I waxed my car for the first time the first day of spring (I bought it in Feb)

Ep3 No.2
04-15-2004, 07:24 PM
uh i wax my car every wek since i got it. (feb of 04)
why woudl they tell you to not wax your car ?

skooba
04-15-2004, 07:30 PM
im pretty sure you can wax it whenever, i wax mine every few months, i can't see wax doing any harm.

EP-Three
04-15-2004, 09:01 PM
cool guys, thanx... thats what I thought. Its just that two people told me that, one was an older guy (like 65 y/o) and the other was a younger guy (about 26 y/o)... anyways, thanx.

-Rob

djsolution
04-15-2004, 11:25 PM
I think it depends on what type of wax you use. I think the mild abrasives in carnauba wax, if used too often, can wear down your clear coat. This might not be the case with other types of waxes/processes. Regardless, I've always heard every 6 months. That's what I follow.

Ep3 No.2
04-15-2004, 11:34 PM
6months / 1 year is clay bar.

AkronSi
04-16-2004, 06:04 AM
If your car was recently repainted, then you need to wait 3-6 months to wax. The idea is that the new paint isn't fully cured and putting a wax or sealant on it can cause premature paint failure. The paint on our cars comes fully cured from the factory. So, you can wax it right away. In fact, your dealer probably waxed it without you even knowing.

The abrasives in "cleaner-waxes" probably won't do much to wear down your clearcoat. But, I'd say that you shouldn't have any problems at all waxing once a month.

SiR Medic
04-16-2004, 06:40 AM
As long as you use stuff that is "Clearcoat Safe" you should be fine.

Soichiro-Honda
04-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Wax your car once a month. Waxing your car every week is stupid cause wax will start to build up. Your not suppose to wax your car fresh from the dealer cause its a new paint job and they already waxed it.
But there is one thing you can do to a new paint job, polish it.

Chinaboy
05-09-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Soichiro-Honda
Wax your car once a month. Waxing your car every week is stupid cause wax will start to build up. Your not suppose to wax your car fresh from the dealer cause its a new paint job and they already waxed it.
But there is one thing you can do to a new paint job, polish it.

waxing every week is not stupid... some people actually have to do that in extreme weather areas, to keep paint clean and sealed...

You are supposed to and CAN wax your car when you get it from your dealer... and no its not because it is a new paint job... the car could be there for two three months.. that is not a NEW paint job...

and no NEW paint jobs are not supposed to be polished, polish is abbrasive that can lead to pre-mature swirls and light scratch marks... so use meguairs #7 (SHOW CAR GLAZE) then wax to seal in shine... polish is for cars a year after or so under bad treatment.... polish is not as easy as you think it is...

btw, I have a TSX and a SI... i wax both every two weeks... when i got each car the first day I put Klasse over them before ... then i started my waxing cycle every other week... waxing is all good.. GO NXT!

Soichiro-Honda
05-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Wrong.

Chinaboy
05-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Wrong.

so do you have anything else to say to counter respond execpt no? or you lost for words cause you really donno?

Mithuth
05-09-2004, 06:36 PM
From the understanding I have, the only time you have to wait to wax, buff, or glaze anything is when it is fresh from the body shop or from having a fresh coat of paint put on. I have heard that 6 monthes is adiqate time to wait.

From the dealer, the paint is dipped then baked on, I believe... I could be wrong. Whereas the paint applied at most down draft paint boothes is NOT baked. Just sprayed and dried.

This takes a few monthes for the paint and clearcoat to fully harden.

I also believe this is also meant for people that use power equipment when applying wax and such...

I don't think you can put enough elbow grease into a hand waxing to take off a clearcoat...

I could be wrong, it's happned before. lol.

mogwai
05-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Wrong.

No disrespect to you, but he's right. Polishes are generally abrasive and as such have some level of cutting power. Also, it would be worse for someone to just use polish since it will strip away whatever wax they may have and leave the car unprotected. This is why it is a general rule of thumb to wax everytime you polish.

As far as waxing every week, that's just a matter of preference. It shouldn't hurt the car any.