PDA

View Full Version : True Reason of EP

HondataEP3
04-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Lets admit it, almost everyone on this forum envies the DC5 (type-s)
We all envie the K20a2's stock power and fantasic aftermarket potential. However, its always been this way. The hatch was always looked down upon in auto history. The Integra was always seen as the better car in the lay person's eyes, just as how the RSX Type-s is seen as a greater car in today's auto market society. However, the hatchback is one of the greatest racing platforms, including ours. We just need to swap out the weak motor. Almost all hatches that clean up street traffic, including the famous Type-s, have Integra hearts or JDM motors. The fastest daily driven Honda is a Hatchback, EG hatch to my belief, and it will likely remain that the Hatch will continue to rule the world of stop light runs. As long as its equipped with the propper motor. Hasn't it always remained that our cars are supposed to be seen as underestimated? Isn't that "sleeper style" what truely gives us the upper hand? The import scene began with underestimated cars going up against cars that held the so called, "parking lot flair", and actually winning. Thats what attracts people to this extremely fast growing market, the underdog succeeding. The EP is a guarenteed underdog. Just look at its shamefull resale value and the negative feedback from most ignorant people who spit on it's Heritage. The Si wasn't created to be an extremely fast car, well not off the showroom floor. It was made to hold the Heritage of the Sleeper Racing Hatch. History repeats itself, EG and EK owners envied the power produced by the b18 motors found in DC2, and EP owners envie the k20a2 powerplant found in the DC5. It will always remain an unchanged fact that we are the underdog. But most importantly, we hold strong to the fact that we are not sellouts. Everytime you consider getting rid of your EP, consider only this, You and very few others continue the Heritage of the Hatch. One day, the EP will honor the hatches of history and rule the haloed grounds of the street...

the JigGa mAn
04-15-2004, 09:22 PM
werent lower model eg and eks lighter than integras? our hatch weighs quite a bit...i think it weighs as much if not a little more than a type S...correct me if im wrong..

emosubaru
04-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by HondataEP3
spit on it's Heritage

its, not it's

:D

hey what's that you're standing on... Zest?

HondataEP3
04-15-2004, 09:40 PM
eh, I was bored...sorry for the misspellings:p it was all just off the top of my head and no we are lighter than the type-s not much but we are...

HondataEP3
04-15-2004, 09:44 PM
yeah we are way too heavy compared to the older models...thats why my EP is on a diet...can you say stripped? but even so its still way to heavy...However if you look at other vehicle statistics, you will see we are considerably lighter than most cars. It seems that fat kid generation thing we always hear about on the news that affects the children of todays society, is also affecting our cars...haha

the JigGa mAn
04-15-2004, 10:08 PM
our cars weigh alot imo...the spec V weighs less than our eps and its a sedan with a bigger motor...

idk where im goin with this...just sayin ep is heavy

bobdobbs
04-15-2004, 10:21 PM
It's 500 pounds less than a 350Z and 1,000 less than a GTO. Weight isn't the problem; 160 HP is.

HondataEP3
04-15-2004, 10:25 PM
and thats what I was stating...the motor is the problem...

chubbychu
04-15-2004, 10:55 PM
with a k20a2...the legend relives! bwahahahah

HondataEP3
04-15-2004, 11:02 PM
another thing to consider, back when the EG or EK were new on the market, there weren't that many people who had swaps. All it takes is time, look how the price of a k20a2, or even the fabled k20a, swap has dropped in the past year alone...

klik
04-15-2004, 11:03 PM
I love my EP, and i love being the underdog,
just look what happened to scarface!!!!

AzN Si GuY
04-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Yeah the EP is pretty fat. *kicks car* Why don't you go on a freakin diet! :p heheh I will forever love my hatch, and I like being the underdog.

k20hatch
04-15-2004, 11:09 PM
IMO it wouldnt be any fun having alot of power to start. Thats the fun we have in building them to become faster. I dunno just what i think...Carry on!

HondataEP3
04-15-2004, 11:12 PM
yeah sure bro I wheigh in at a mere 130lbs and I'm not at all short...thats what staying off fastfood and eating only organic will get you for 6+ years...

And of course a black belt in Shaolin Kung Fu;)

HondataEP3
04-15-2004, 11:13 PM
thank you K20hatch...thats perfectly stated...if I wanted showroom power, I would have bought a type-s

HondataEP3
04-15-2004, 11:18 PM
For sure...its always the underdog success story that gets more attention than the "hero" success story...

Aaron 02 Si
04-16-2004, 01:23 AM
One day, the EP will honor the hatches of history and rule the haloed grounds of the street...

Spoken like a true Honda fan.

SONIC SI
04-16-2004, 04:31 AM
Honda Civic SI-Curb Weight 2782 lbs
Acura RSX-S Curb Weight 2767 lbs

Well the RSX-S only weighs a mere 15lbs less then our car according to the Honda website. Where we got robbed was in the torque area of the motor. Even the base RSX has 141 lbs-ft @ 4000 rpm to our 132 lbs-ft @ 5000 rpm.

Dunrick
04-16-2004, 07:17 AM
the 02-03 si's are 1 lb less than the type-s'

must be 04's that are heavier, due to wheels or something....

Jay H
04-16-2004, 07:35 AM
Regarding weight, I'll add my $.02. Keep in mind that increasing levels of safety equipment and higher levels of crash protection does increase weight on these cars. It's some of the price we have to pay for those 4 and 5 star ratings our cars get. Also, high levels of equipment that a lot of typical buyers want (sunroof and power windows for example) tends to make curb weights creep up.

There are plenty of other enthusiasts of other makes that are angry at their chosen manufacturer for increasing weight on their favorite vehicle. I've spent a long time with Porsche vehicles and we are all pissed that now even a stripped 911 Carrera is a fat slob with over 3000 lbs of curb weight vs. the 2400 to 2700 pounds those cars used to be. As these car get safer, weights tend to go up. Lots of manufacturers are battling weight and have been for years.

Good thread over all... If people don't 'get' what the Si is all about right away, they never will.

tjtripp
04-16-2004, 08:05 AM
I personally like my Si better than the Type-S. I like the way it looks, drives, etc. I'm not even sure yet if I'm gonna mod it at all. I'll probably wait a couple of years or until I get another daily driver. I do admire and keep up on import cars. I'd like to buy a K20 w/ tranny separate and build it up down the road, but I didn't buy my car for racing. I can understand improving on what you've got, but trying to be faster than the next guy is a never ending battle. Who cares if the type-s is faster, the SRT-4 is even faster and cheaper than the type-s. My point is respect what you have, and enjoy it. If you mod your car, do it for the right reasons, to enjoy it more. If you do want to be faster than the other guy, get a bike, that's what I did. :D Wanna talk about power to weight? How's 140 rwhp and 380lbs sound??

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-16-2004, 08:51 AM
The RSX, Integra, and Si EP3 are ALL hatches.

The hatch was always looked down upon in auto history. The Integra was always seen as the better car in the lay person's eyes, just as how the RSX Type-s is seen as a greater car in today's auto market society. However, the hatchback is one of the greatest racing platforms, including ours.

Mickey
04-16-2004, 09:06 AM
When i bought my EP i had to choose between a type S and SI. For the price of the type s I would rather get an EVO or STI by just adding a few thousand $$$$ w/c you are going to loan it from the bank(maybe addtl $100 monthly). Actually my wife hates the shape of my car, She said it looks like an egg and she calls it eggshell.She always tells me that I should have just bought an Evo or STI, But honestly, I love my EP no matter what. Its uniqueness. Eventually it will be rare and you dont see it everywhere. The best part all is when you buy stuff for your car and see it improves the performance eventually.:)

bigace
04-16-2004, 09:42 AM
its alot more than 500 lbs less than a Z. A z (pathetically) outweighs a Vette. I drove one last night, its like a mustang/vette made by Japanese people. Cool car, I prefer Honda's way of doing everything, though :)

Ace

Originally posted by bobdobbs
It's 500 pounds less than a 350Z and 1,000 less than a GTO. Weight isn't the problem; 160 HP is.

HondataEP3
04-16-2004, 09:51 AM
thank you for pointing out the obvious adam' but you know what I mean when I said hatch...the traditional looking hatchback (rounded back) cause even the Z is considered a hatch...

Makross
04-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Honestly When the EK's came out back in 96 nobody like it everyone thought it was ugly as hell and looked like a frog in its pea green color...after a few years has passed people started to like it and now everybody wants a EK. I say give our cars 10 more years and everyone and their moms will want one....

HondataEP3
04-16-2004, 09:58 AM
I'm hearing that more and more...and its so totally true...

Dres97
04-16-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm gonna be honest, i bought my EP because there is no Acura Dealer in this state. I will never buy anything other than a Honda unless its a BMW. Although Hondas' structural integrity isn't the best, they do make the best engine in the world. When I bought my EP i wasnt soo keen on its looks, but i knew in the long run i would be satisfied because it was a Honda.
For any of you Formula one fans you can really tell who are the best automakers in the world by just watching this series. Those cars have the future tech of production cars. Where do you think our electric power steering came from? sum it all up im happy with my EP and happy with Honda. My Family has owned 5 hondas and has never had to take it to the shop for anything more then a tune up.

ep3guy
04-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Makross
Honestly When the EK's came out back in 96 nobody like it everyone thought it was ugly as hell and looked like a frog in its pea green color...after a few years has passed people started to like it and now everybody wants a EK. I say give our cars 10 more years and everyone and their moms will want one....

Yup, that will happen for sure. More and more people are starting to like the EP now.

TrippZ
04-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Dres97
I'm gonna be honest, i bought my EP because there is no Acura Dealer in this state. I will never buy anything other than a Honda unless its a BMW. Although Hondas' structural integrity isn't the best, they do make the best engine in the world. When I bought my EP i wasnt soo keen on its looks, but i knew in the long run i would be satisfied because it was a Honda.
For any of you Formula one fans you can really tell who are the best automakers in the world by just watching this series. Those cars have the future tech of production cars. Where do you think our electric power steering came from? sum it all up im happy with my EP and happy with Honda. My Family has owned 5 hondas and has never had to take it to the shop for anything more then a tune up.

you DO realize that Acura = Honda, right?

STP03BlueSI
04-16-2004, 12:07 PM
True reason of the EP...I think to be Hondas Bastard child.

I dont dream of having a Motor swap done in my car. I like the engine on how it is. Yea people hate the low end VTEC, but hell its better than my 92 Saturn.

I know someone out in the US/Canada, is building a 11 sec all motor K20A3...I know I would like to.:D

Chris

Hopes and dreams come with alot of $$$....or using alot of $$$

AzN Si GuY
04-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by STP03BlueSI
True reason of the EP...I think to be Hondas Bastard child.

I know someone out in the US/Canada, is building a 11 sec all motor K20A3...I know I would like to.:D

Yeah, we are Honda's bastard child. Alot of people don't like the look of the euro styled hatch in the states. As time goes by more people are starting to like it.

We shouldn't knock on the k20a3. That 11 sec motor is just the beginning of what this motor has in store. I don't think I'll ever save enough money for a turbo or swap any time soon. But in the mean time I love the way it is. It's faster than plenty of cars that are on the road and there will always be cars faster than you. That's the way it's always going to be.

SiGuy
04-16-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm damn proud of my mouse. Besides, I only paid 15800 for it and once I get my boost I can smoke a most rides out there for a lot less money. Not to mention the HUGE amounts of power the k20a3 with boost, more for your money than any other honda I've heard of. The k20a3 is gonna surpass the b16 as the honda motor to build. Just wait, we're gonna see BIG numbers out of our k soon.

Stealth Wedgy
04-16-2004, 02:47 PM
For the $8600 I spent on my EP3, i can say im happy with my little Import Wedge.

Dres97
04-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ
you DO realize that Acura = Honda, right?
Yes but i was saying that,because i was gonna get a Type S

audomatik
04-16-2004, 04:49 PM
this thread is awesome. i was in the mode of hating my EP like a month or two ago. i was tired of it being "slow" and wanting something else. i dunno what happened but i ended up buying an intake and getting my windows tinted. my car has come alive and i love again, just like when i bought it back in july. its a great car for what it is. a civic. no an si. i love my car so much, i'm looking at other power adders, such as an exhaust and a header. and eventually i'm gonna do hondata when i go to the beach for a week. it's gonna be nice. screw "wishing" i couldve had an RSX. why? so i could be a sheep and blend in with the rest of the world? no. i bought the redhead step-child. the hatch that no one wanted... and i love it

HondataEP3
04-16-2004, 05:09 PM
audomatik...I think you are one of the few I have reached...This was the exact intention of my thread...actually, I wrote an entire 12 page essay for fun on this topic...

siver-SI
04-16-2004, 05:30 PM
I love are body and inside, but we do lack a little in the engine department. The A3 is great for a turbo and that is about it. I guess you can not have everything in a car that cost most of use around $15,000 to $16,000. For the price and what you get is great. Just think with the moeny we saved off sticker we could get a A2 and just kick a Type-S in the butt and still have a lot more money for mods.

speedking604
04-16-2004, 07:18 PM
i use to drive a 1.7 el 2002 and compare to our car....that thing is really slow and cost more than my sir.the first day i drove my sir, it was amazing.power is good and handling is way better not to mention now that my car is lowered 1.9 inch====meaning way way way better handling. after 2 years of driving it, i feel like "not enough power again". i was thinking of getting a s2000 now. but i change my mind " i know my car bills will end soon and i can buy a house with my own garage and build my own engine ". if your thinking of trading your ep for rsx type s or faster car.....i say don't do it unless your a millionaire.......

GrahamBo '02
04-16-2004, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dres97
[B]I'm gonna be honest, i bought my EP because there is no Acura Dealer in this state. I will never buy anything other than a Honda unless its a BMW. Although Hondas' structural integrity isn't the best, they do make the best engine in the world. /[B][QUOTE]

Huh? Check out some of the wreck pictures people have posted. I would say that the EP is prob. one of the safer Civics ever made. Additionally, Honda is Acura. So the only difference is cost, design, and fit/finish. Although if you ask me Honda is damn nice compared to most domestic stuff.

;)

cj miller
04-16-2004, 09:02 PM
i love my honda. its the first honda ive ever had and its great. i still look at it as if i just got it yesterday. i love it.

HgSi
04-17-2004, 09:32 AM
The Integra was always seen as the better car in the lay person's eyes,

I personally don't care what "lay" people think. Why should I care about the opinion of someone who doesn't know anything about cars? Most people think that the best cars in the world are Navigators and Escalades. Why would I want to compare myself to such people and their trucks? I know what I like and screw everyone else. Especially lay people and their SUVs.

potator
04-17-2004, 09:42 AM
The LEGEND of the HATCH!!! :smilem: :D :smilem: :D :smilem: :D

kidXStreme
04-17-2004, 12:59 PM
just give our hatchy's sometime...once we get more power into our cars the weight of our cars will be no problem.

speedking604
04-17-2004, 03:29 PM
why you guys so worried about our cars enginepower??? our cars can beat lots of other imports car out there......what we pay to our cars is just right for what we get.... think about the celica gt......more expensive than our car and less power.what about those gti...way expensive than our cars but just spend a little beat of money and you can beat them.....drop 4-6 grand and you can beat those sti,evo,s2000.

BarracksSi
04-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC

Well, yeah, sorta. The difference is that Integra/RSX's don't look like hatchbacks. They're more like a sports coupe with a back glass that opens up. People think that hatchbacks are supposed to be more box-like, with a roofline that goes at least past the rear wheels.

It's like that version of the Mazda 6 that's shaped like the sedan but has a back end that opens up from the roof to the bumper. You can't really call it a wagon even though it's got 4 doors + a rear hatch.

Anyways,

Hatches just plain rock. Not only Honda, but also VW, Lancia, Citroen, Rover, Renault (R5 turbo!), etc etc. But, Honda seems to be the one that people think about when they hear the term "hatchback". I can't begin to say how happy I was when I found out that the Civic lineup was going to include a hatch once again.

HondataEP3, thanks man, that's a motivating post.

Sirone
04-18-2004, 12:01 AM
The true reason I love my EP. Because it is so rare. In St. Louis in the past several weeks I have looked for other EP's I have seen a total of Two. A white one with some nice mods, and a silver driven by your dad...

The A3 isn't the fastest of the bunch, but it has heart. It has been said before and will be said many thousands of times over, If I wanted the best engine honda sell I might have gotten an S2000... why did'nt I? #1. Insurance... #2 Seating, If I want too.. I can force my friends into the backseat, which is bigger then the 99 Eclipse GS-T I moved from. Do I miss 210 Hp and a turbo? Well yes. But do I love my EP more? HELL yes. I would see an eclipse on the road, and anyone could be driving it... your grandma, your sister, a middle aged housewife... screw that. I like the EP because only I like it. I don't give a bloody damn what anyone else thinks.

I have recently added a couple of aftermarket parts to my car, did I need these? I suppose not, afterall the EP isn't a race car without the parts and it still isn't with the parts, but it makes my engine happy, to get that extra breath of air, and to attract the attention of people who must be thinking... "What the hell is that thing, it's a honda? a hatchback.. they still make hatchbacks? I've never seen that before."

Anyway I guess the point of my post is this. When I first got my EP I was like wow, nice. About two weeks later I said, ok it's not as fast as my turbo used to be. Four weeks later I said, this bitch handles better then my eclipse, it does'nt feel so heavy. Around Six weeks into it, I started getting my parts in. And then I was like, wow that black EP looks bitch'n with limo tint, and wow that Intake screams when I hit the revs, and wow that exhaust sounds authentic. From that point on I realized I had all of this, and its a honda, I don't worry about it like I did my eclipse, wondering, "I hope my engine does'nt blow today, or I hope my tranny does'nt bust."

I am proud of my car, fast or not, It's the best damn thing I have ever bought. Amen.

George Knighton
04-18-2004, 04:09 PM

Hmmm.

OK, but the DC5 and DC2 have trunks. :)

The handling dynamics are different.

The EP3 rotates quickly at your feet. The DC5 and DC2 rotate less quickly, and the point of rotation is under your seat, not at your feet.

YooShin
04-18-2004, 04:57 PM
The EP has created a family out of the owners like no other car. Every (rare) time I see another EP we make eye contact and give each other that nod. You know what I'm talking about. It's a good feeling. The 6gen Sis didn't have that. Most of those dudes seem a little snobbish and close minded when it comes others, even with same car. My girl does'nt understand (nor do I expect her to) but thinks it "cute" when I go out of my why to give that "nod" to driver of another EP. Ok, I need to grab another brew before I start crying.

George Knighton
04-18-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by YooShin
The EP has created a family out of the owners like no other car. Every (rare) time I see another EP we make eye contact and give each other that nod. You know what I'm talking about.

LOL...

Yeah, it's good to know you're not the only idiot out there.

trk
04-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by George Knighton

OK, but the DC5 and DC2 have trunks. :)

The handling dynamics are different.

The EP3 rotates quickly at your feet. The DC5 and DC2 rotate less quickly, and the point of rotation is under your seat, not at your feet.

Grandpa you would be proud of me today .... I was reading some of the braking threads again recently ... read up a little on "trailbraking"... today I tried it at autox... i'd start to carry the speed out of the turn a little more than usual and tap the breaks inducing a little rear ass slide ... immediately hitting throttle to straighten out and accelerate out of it. lots of fun.

I found my fastest runs were when I shifted and braked as little as possible. the trailbraking/drifting/whatever was just for fun and typically hurt my times. I imagine at the track that wont be true because you can carry your speed and revs longer.

George Knighton
04-18-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by trk
... the trailbraking/drifting/whatever was just for fun and typically hurt my times. I imagine at the track that wont be true because you can carry your speed and revs longer.

You're right. At the track, like Summit 1 and especially Summit 5, you will definitely get through faster if you're trailbraking.

Congratulations. It's always good to have another useful skill. :)

siver-SI
04-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by YooShin
The EP has created a family out of the owners like no other car. Every (rare) time I see another EP we make eye contact and give each other that nod. You know what I'm talking about. It's a good feeling. The 6gen Sis didn't have that. Most of those dudes seem a little snobbish and close minded when it comes others, even with same car. My girl does'nt understand (nor do I expect her to) but thinks it "cute" when I go out of my why to give that "nod" to driver of another EP. Ok, I need to grab another brew before I start crying.

This is the only car that I have had when I see anouther one of them I will wait a little and see if I can talk to the owner. Luckly all the other EP's that I have run into have been EP nuts too so they understand. I just wish I can find a good looking girl in a EP to talk to. :(

BarracksSi
04-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
... Luckly all the other EP's that I have run into have been EP nuts too so they understand. ...

That's because the EP is different enough and funky enough to push away the people who wouldn't understand.

The fact that it's a hatch is enough to keep many people away (they just don't "get it"). The shifter is another, and the sporty image scares away the people who just want a plain ol' Civic (yeah, "scares" -- these types think salt & pepper are exciting enough to be the only spices at their dinner table).

What you have left -- usually -- are the people who really wanted the EP at their house. Let the boy racers get their rodded Dodges, Subarus, VWs, and Mitsubishis. Let the boring people buy something else to serve as a powered transportation cart. I'd rather have EP fans owning the EP.

GrahamBo '02
04-19-2004, 08:11 PM
BarracksSi,
I think its funny how the EP is such a polarizing car. I think all of the intresting features make it a unique and fun car. So, if others don't get it, then thats ok with me.

I think my girlfriend put it best last weekend, when we were in her small hometown: "You're prob. the only EP in town..!" I like that feeling. :)

k20hatch
04-19-2004, 08:25 PM
A 16 year old girls parents just bought her a 2004 VBP Ep today. She goes to my school and stuff gets around fast when your still in school. Ive heard it from everyone today.

siver-SI
04-19-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by GrahamBo '02
BarracksSi,
I think its funny how the EP is such a polarizing car. I think all of the intresting features make it a unique and fun car. So, if others don't get it, then thats ok with me.

I think my girlfriend put it best last weekend, when we were in her small hometown: "You're prob. the only EP in town..!" I like that feeling. :)

The stick shift of what gets most people talking. I just wish I could find anouther car with it. I just love it so much compared to to being on the floor.

ToingToing
04-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Sirone
The A3 isn't the fastest of the bunch, but it has heart. [/B]

yup, thats true but it will have a bigger heart and will get more respect if you are talking about money-wise spent on a ep3.

a $23k ep3 can beat a $23k dc5
a $28k ep3 can beat a $28k evo 8
a $33k ep3 can beat a $33k s2k
a $33k ep3 can beat a $33k sti

the only car i can think of that can beat the ep3 in $20k range is the neon srt. but a $30k ep3 can probably beat the $30k srt. but in the long run, ep3 will win because its engine is better.

SiGuy
04-20-2004, 07:12 AM
Get a stock ep with 150k miles, and a stock srt with 150k miles(if they last that long) see who wins then. I bet it will be ALOT closer. We may not be the fastest on the block but we are one of the most reliable machines out there. Easily getting 200k miles no matter how you drive 'em- just keep the oil changed.

ToingToing
04-20-2004, 12:54 PM
yeah, thats what i said. in the long run, 10 to 20 years from now, stock ep3, or modded n/a k20 as long as its tuned properly will still be running while a modded '03 srt would mostly like be in the junkyard. ep3 will beat the srt because ep3 has a better engine. period.

iDom
03-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Well as many people have said, the ep3 is the last real 'drivers' Si that Honda will of ever made. Regardless of the engine (which catches a bad rep, considering for what it is, it's not THAT bad) it is a very good platform. I love the EK's, but I HATE the interiors of older cars. Boring gray seats, mspaint style gauges, and it is nearly impossible to find a EK or EG in good nick. Don't forget about the Type R and the fact the the Ep3 was voted Hot Hatch of the Year 3 times I do believe :mcool:

The ep3 is the best of both worlds in my opinion. It is the perfect balance of new and old, and the shifter placement is cool as hell. Once again, that is IMO.

k20/k24 swaps are becoming cheaper and cheaper now a days too.

iDom
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
That's because the EP is different enough and funky enough to push away the people who wouldn't understand.

The fact that it's a hatch is enough to keep many people away (they just don't "get it"). The shifter is another, and the sporty image scares away the people who just want a plain ol' Civic (yeah, "scares" -- these types think salt & pepper are exciting enough to be the only spices at their dinner table).

What you have left -- usually -- are the people who really wanted the EP at their house. Let the boy racers get their rodded Dodges, Subarus, VWs, and Mitsubishis. Let the boring people buy something else to serve as a powered transportation cart. I'd rather have EP fans owning the EP.

I like to pull up next to other EP owners and say, "Nice car.." and drive away like a grandma and not exceed 2,500 revs.

88fox05si
03-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Great thread here. I bought my EP3 because I wanted a catch-all kind of car. I run in a few auto-x events a year. The Si needs only a few pounds of pressure in the tires, a little bit of gas, the taking out of all the stuff I use on a day-to-day basis. I can haul my bike when I ride, lower the rear seat for storage when I move out of my apartment, and take my in-laws to dinner ( all separate occasions, of course ) with out having to really do much.
The A3 is plenty of engine for my needs. A turbo would be nice, but I don't have the time or inclination to do it. Already owning a bastard VW Fox Wagon ( there is a small dedicated group that is as crazy about the Fox as we are here), I am glad to have a fun, reliable car that caters to life's events with ease.

It's nice to know that there are people on this site who are dedicated to a unique vehicle.

Another poster stated that it is Honda's last "drivers car". Think about it: Drive by wire accelerator, no nannies (other than ABS, which I'm glad to have), and available in manual only. Though the current Si can boast the latter quality, I like the idea, for better or worse, that I'm controlling the accelerator without computer intervention. And it rotates well with rear gussets, which leads me to OEM parts available via the RSX-s.

Great car overall. So much more fun than my wife's 05 civic DX-VP. Money well spent and owed.

ImportCustomx
03-17-2011, 07:27 AM
holy back from the dead (2004) post batman!

Bryan144
03-17-2011, 11:01 AM
audomatik...I think you are one of the few I have reached...This was the exact intention of my thread...actually, I wrote an entire 12 page essay for fun on this topic...

I want to read all 12 pages! PM me! :)

SkareKrow
03-17-2011, 11:11 AM
holy back from the dead (2004) post batman!

tananananana batman! theme song lol

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using TapaTalk!

chrismacmx
03-22-2011, 03:56 AM
batman lol.....

SkareKrow
03-22-2011, 11:12 AM
batman lol.....
yeah haahahfahajajfja. The spoilers that are hfp kind of look batmanish. Hahaha.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using TapaTalk!

superchargedk20
03-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Wow old thread... I have both platforms.. envy me!!!

rjmq06
10-11-2011, 07:07 AM
actually according to this video ep3-r stock is better than dc5-r stock
its just the driver sucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB5AqAY5EpU&list=FLsLfHVOeValVd977YygJnkQ&index=150

StockTexasEP3
10-26-2011, 11:44 PM
HAHAHA I laughed so hard @ wanting to read a 12 page essay about the ep3.

Yea fuck yea EP's fo life!

It really is a good looking car and responds pretty good to bolt ons. Beat a 2.0t genesis coupe today at a stop light in my basically stock ep3 fuck yea!!!

DRP967
10-27-2011, 06:10 AM
The EP3 is unpopular and not likely to get stolen. Thats a good thing...think about it.

AKEP
10-27-2011, 08:08 AM
holy hell.

McTaggart34
10-27-2011, 08:38 AM
LOVE and SLOW.

end/

klik
12-27-2011, 10:06 PM
damn i replied back in 2004 lol. and i still love my ep.

Draw7Seven
12-28-2011, 04:07 PM
I look for one factor more than anything else when I'm shopping for a big ticket item like a car or a house. I want it to be unique above everything else. I'm not that tatted up kid standing in line at Hot Topic or some shit, but I like having something that I won't pass 6 more of on the way to work. The EP definitely fits the bill. There honestly aren't too many other cars (and absolutely none made by Honda) that cost less than 40,000 bones and are as rare as the EP3. The marketing departments of companies like Scion are realizing that people like to make a statement by having a car that is theirs alone. I think in EP owners you find a group of people who like to be a little different than the crowd but still want the functionality that a modern Honda brings to the highway and/or the track. That's all.

gtolio
12-28-2011, 04:22 PM
I look for one factor more than anything else when I'm shopping for a big ticket item like a car or a house. I want it to be unique above everything else. I'm not that tatted up kid standing in line at Hot Topic or some shit, but I like having something that I won't pass 6 more of on the way to work. The EP definitely fits the bill. There honestly aren't too many other cars (and absolutely none made by Honda) that cost less than 40,000 bones and are as rare as the EP3. The marketing departments of companies like Scion are realizing that people like to make a statement by having a car that is theirs alone. I think in EP owners you find a group of people who like to be a little different than the crowd but still want the functionality that a modern Honda brings to the highway and/or the track. That's all.

I agree, but the CRZ does it too, IMO.

cyllarus
12-28-2011, 08:09 PM
I also bought my ep3 b/c it was a perforamace minded, unique, lightweight car. sadly this was before i read up on how honda robbed us with the a3s version of Vtech.

Having owned a Dodge Stealth (3000 gt) and then a vw scirocco, belive me light is the way to go. however, im frustrated that honda didnt put the k24 in this car from day one. I'm sure they did this to protect RSX-s sales. however, evident by the fact that the 2011 si got the k24, they knew all along that they should be doing it, they were just waiting until they needed that extra TQ to compete.

AttarixEp
12-28-2011, 08:20 PM
I bought mine when I was looking to upgrade from my 97 ex coupe. Always hated how they looked when they first came out. Small minivan. I was drawn to it when I saw it 3 years ago at a dealer and traded instantly. I've grown to appreciate that I am taking a car that I wasn't too fond of at first, and turned into something I love. Everyone says I spend too much money on a car that I will sell in a couple years anyways. I almost traded it in twice, once on a 350z, the second on an sti. I test drove both and came to the same result each time. It just wasn't my Ep. Didn't feel right when I stepped on it, or got into the turns, and both cars are known for being fast. They weren't "special" I guess you could say. I love that my Ep is always overlooked and laughed at by guys in cars like that. Then get smoked. Haha.

Now undergoing my 3rd and final build. I love that car more every time I see it and buy the next part. Not to mention, I have gained a lot of secret respect from a lot of people who hate on the Honda community. You don't get that with an STI or whatever else. They come with respect.