PDA

View Full Version : Suspension help, long

trabadoo22
04-16-2004, 02:27 AM
I need some help deciding what I should get to stiffen up my car. So far all I have is the Mugen suspension and 16" wheels + tires. I have to admitt I don't know anything about how to do this so I need your help deciding which would work best for me. I live in NY where there is snow on the ground a good amount of the year. This concerns me because I don't want to be spinning out of control on snow covered roads. However I also want a very sporty suspension for those days where I can drive more aggressively. I don't plan to race or anything, but again I want my car to perform it's best without spinning out. Anyways, here are a few different options that I am concidering:

1.)Progress rear sway bar and Neuspeed front strut bar

2.)Rsx-s rear sway bar and Neuspeed front strut bar

3.)Progress front and rear sway bar

4.)D3 designs x-brace and progress rear sway bar

5.)D3 designs x-brace and rsx-s rear sway bar

I mainly want to reduce body roll so whichever of these parts will help me do that the most I want to get. I'm also wondering if the Progress rear sway bar hits the stock exhaust or not? Thanks alot for any help.

graham
04-16-2004, 06:52 AM
Your primary defense against spinning out on snow is SNOW TIRES. Get a good set on 14" steelies, or even your stock rims.

If you are not planning to take your car to the track, I vote for RSX rear sway and be done with it ... you probably won't notice a front brace.

My .02, of course!

Good luck ...
Graham

cpu519
04-16-2004, 08:57 AM
If you're concerned about spinning out on snow, a bigger rear sway bar will not help, it will accentuate the problem. It loads the outside rear tire more and may cause it to lose traction. The stock sway bar would be the best choice and it will allow each rear wheel to move more independently and follow the road better. Stiffer suspension is opposite of what's best for snow use.

trabadoo22
04-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Stiffer suspension is opposite of what's best for snow use.

This is true, but even though I'm concerned about how my car will perform in the snow I'm willing to sacrifice in order to get better performance. Right now I am thinking of going with the Progress front and rear sway bars. It seems like it should be similar to just adding the rsx rear sway and still having the stock front sway, but stiffer all around. I just don't want the Progress rear bar to hit the stock exhaust. Anyone know if it will or not? Thanks for the help.

Your primary defense against spinning out on snow is SNOW TIRES. Get a good set on 14" steelies, or even your stock rims.

Ya, I realized this when my stock tires spun out just in the rain so I got some 14" Kumho winter tires. They made a big difference.