PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever skip a gear?

STP03BlueSI
04-16-2004, 11:54 AM
I know from time to time(because I travel the interstate EVERYday), I find myself "skipping" a gear. Mostly 3rd for some reason. I also do it on back roads in my neighborhood.

So here is the questiong. Do you ever skip gears?

Chris

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-16-2004, 12:06 PM
When merging onto the highway I usually skip 3rd, 4th and 5th...
I go from 2nd to 6th at about 60mph...

TrippZ
04-16-2004, 12:06 PM
when i had my car i did

AzN Si GuY
04-16-2004, 12:11 PM
usually when i want to accelerate real fast and then chill at a specific speed. Most of the time I do this is when I'm on a highway ramp getting on the highway.

1st-> 2nd-> 5th :cool:

dj addicted
04-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC

lol.. Im thinking.. wait.. skip 5th?? but I forgot you have the K20A2.. hehe..

ATRIOT
04-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Yeah i do it on occasion it saves gas and my EP is a guzzler.

DavidT
04-16-2004, 12:15 PM
As an entry level Honda technician I have access to www.in.honda.com Honda's IN network (The one they use at the dealers to get stereo codes, ECU and immoblizer codes and electronic manuals etc etc) and they recently had a newsletter up saying that skipping gears can greatly damage your tranny. They did some testing on trannies that had it's gears skipped frequently had a lot more wear on the syncros than do the trannies that have been shifted through all the gears.

I forgot the main reason but it was because each gear is design to run after another and the syncros work harder if you skip gears because they have their own gear rows (1-2 is to the left, 3-4 in the middle, 5-R on the right). If I find the newsletter I'll cut and paste it for you guys to read :) I try never to skip gears.

AzN Si GuY
04-16-2004, 12:23 PM
More damage on the tranny!? Damn this is my 2nd tranny. Looks like i'm doing this gear skipping no more. What DavidT, just got me scared. :eek:

DavidT
04-16-2004, 12:53 PM
Damn I can't use we-todd-did-racing anymore to host it because they don't support PDF. But I got the Honda Service News in PDF format if anybody wants to read it. Straight from Honda themselves :) I can't seem to locate the Service Bulletin where they did the testing of the syncros, but the Service News I have in PDF describes the syncro wear and says for you to not skip gears :D

ATRIOT
04-16-2004, 01:05 PM
How about you just give us your dealer number, username and password for the in.honda site. ;) wink wink nudge nudge.

BlairSpeed
04-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Good find David T. Its interesting though cause judging by how its a pretty smooth transition even when skipping gears, you wouldnt think it would be that bad for your tranny. Although, shifting in numerical order is silky...:cool:

Civicvtec1ps
04-16-2004, 02:05 PM
I NEVER skip gear.

Fast02
04-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
I NEVER skip gear.

:)

bigben21
04-16-2004, 02:40 PM
booya davidt beat ya to it :) good to see a fellow honda tech on here. here is the pdf file everyone www.geocities.com/hacky16 the paragraph you want to look at is on page 3

k20hatch
04-16-2004, 03:32 PM
I sometimes find myself doing that when im getting on the interstate.

Fast02
04-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
I sometimes find myself doing that when im getting on the interstate.

Naughty!!!:mad: :D

02SiFoLife
04-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Nope I'm a Speed Demon

Ty's Si
04-16-2004, 04:41 PM
I only ever skip 4th when exiting the interstate. I usually go from 5th to 3rd on the downshift.

Is that still bad for the tranny? Seems to me everyone here skips while accelerating.

Tenacious G
04-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC

i hate you for being able to say that. :p :D

i don't skip gears for the exact reason David T pointed out. it makes sense. the harder you make a mechanical part work (i.e. cylinders, valves, synchros, brakes, tires) will almost invariably cause it wear it out quicker or fail.

GrahamBo '02
04-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Off Topic,
But did any body notice the article right before the note about skip shifting..? Yea, something about grinding on the 1-2 shift of an S2k.. "Its normal".. Hmmm..

I wish honda would release some of this info to the public, as it could be handy in diagnosing problems etc.

chubbychu
04-16-2004, 09:12 PM
i dunno if its just a stupid habit, or im trying to look cool. but i often cycle down gears even if i dont stay in them. meaning that when i upshift or downshift i go into the next gear and let it go for a little bit in that gear (like one second) than i shift again. weird...

BarracksSi
04-16-2004, 10:16 PM
I skip gears.

HOWEVER,

I know that if I try to jam the tranny into the next gear without letting the engine revs come way down I'll definitely wear down the syncros.

Say, if I shift from 2nd to 5th at about 50 mph, I need to hold in the clutch and wait for the engine to drop to about 2K on the tach before I even put the shifter into 5th.

So, yeah, I skip gears, but I know the limitations of transmissions. I try to use them as if they had no syncros at all -- rev-matching, double clutching, etc.

YooShin
04-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
i dunno if its just a stupid habit, or im trying to look cool. but i often cycle down gears even if i dont stay in them. meaning that when i upshift or downshift i go into the next gear and let it go for a little bit in that gear (like one second) than i shift again. weird...

Yep. Me to. I do it out pure habit. I've driven standards since 85 and I don't even really think about the shifting. And yes I skip gears. Maybe that's why I went through 2 trannys on my old accord. There's a mechanic at a tranny shop that's done all my old work and he mentioned once that skipping gears was bad, going up or down. He had all kinds of advice that I didn't take, like Hondas usually don't handle well dropped more than an 1", or that and wide open exhaust only works well on boosted engines and strains na ones. Maybe I should listen to the guy.

bigace
04-17-2004, 01:31 AM
the article seems to make reference only to 2-5 and 3-5, meaning skip shifting into top gear.. it doesnt say "for example, 2-5 or 3-5" it mentions only those shifts, and only into top gear. I pop 2-4 all the time, my car seems to be only in 3rd on canyons or getting onto the freeway when i wanna fly up to 80 mph. I think if you shift smoothly and watch your revs, you'll be fine...

andy
04-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
So, yeah, I skip gears, but I know the limitations of transmissions. I try to use them as if they had no syncros at all -- rev-matching, double clutching, etc.

Yup, if I skip (every once in a while, mainly 2nd-4th or 5th), I rev
match and/or double clutch.
Do that on downshifts, too.