PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack problem?

sonic imperial
04-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Hey guys, I've recently developed a terribly knock or clank that happens when I drive over slightly uneven pavement (esp. where roads have been patched and it's not perfectly smooth). It's especially noticeable when making turns through intersections or maybe driving slow through a neighborhood. It also occurs during straightline driving, but only at speeds of say 35mph or less. My car is bone stock to the tee (even wheels and tires). Any ideas? It comes straight through the steering wheel, and I can feel it. It clanks a good bit now, not sure what to do. The dealer is likely to say nothing is wrong, but that's not true. Another thing is that when you ride with a passenger or 2, it seems to weigh the car down enough that the clunks go away. Weird huh? I don't know if they need to retorque the front end or what. It's never been tampered with. Get at me with some ideas. I'll tell Honda what to do.

Gearhead Geek
04-16-2004, 02:56 PM
just a suggestion, but retorque your front endlinks. kinda odd that they'd be loose stock (if that is what the problem is), but, it could happen, and would cause the kind of "clanking" you're talkin about.

RedLight_Si
04-17-2004, 12:20 AM
endlinks?

glw
04-17-2004, 07:59 AM
sounds to me like and endlink broke...

the endlink (7&8) is the part than attaches the sway bar to the control arm.

http://www.slhondaparts.com/images/PCI/13S5S0/005/3.jpg

sonic imperial
04-19-2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks for those ideas. I'm not really a suspension expert (I've only taken my past cars to professionals for lowering). Clank may not be the best work, but some kind of metal thump or knock that can be felt and heard through the steering column. It doesn't seem to be affecting the car as far as general driving is concerned, but it bothers me that I can't ride over small bumps and things smoothly. I can take my wife's 160k mile 240sx over the same roads and no noise whatsoever.