PDA

View Full Version : I never, ever thought I say this....

VBSI
04-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I am sick of my Si! After gettin ripped by a Spec-V, and with general boredom, I decided to check around and see if my $18,000 has been well spent. I have driven nothing but Honda, but I have been seeing the Dodge Neon SRT-4 drop in price-and even have seen them used for $15,000. It is a Dodge, yes, but for the money can this thing be touched? Warranty on a car with this type of power? Look at the upgrade to Stage 1...for $399!$!$!$!$!$! I guess Dodge rates at wheel HP, so 240 horse? This is 0-60 in like 4.9-5.0 seconds. I am really thinking about driving one of these for myself.

Mopar Performance Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade Kit

Mopar Performance is launching a whiplash-inducing Stage 1 turbo upgrade kit. This kit pushes the power and performance of the Dodge SRT-4's 2.4-liter turbocharged engine to 240 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque. The kit consists of four fuel injectors, which produce a10-percent greater flow-rate than stock injectors, and one Mopar Performance powertrain control module (PCM). It's calibrated for increased wide-open throttle and part-throttle boost, more aggressive exhaust note during deceleration, improved turbo response, enhanced first-gear boost schedule for a higher-performance launch and a boost hold feature during wide-open throttle shifts.

"The only thing better than horsepower is more horsepower," said Kevin Miller, Senior Manager - Mopar Brand Excitement and Motorsports. "We're excited to be able to bring the Stage I turbo upgrade kit to market in June 2003 for just $399."

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/neon.html

psylovibe
04-16-2004, 04:11 PM
yes its a neon but its fast.

ive seena red one around here its no bad ride.he took on a rx7 hehe not bad.

2pointslowEP3
04-16-2004, 04:17 PM
do what you gotta do man. just keep in mind...it's still a neon...no matter how fast it is!

VBSI
04-16-2004, 04:26 PM
I keep hearing that, and I even thought that myself. However, my Si has had rattles, a grind in second and squeeks when I turn since I bought it. I don't think Honda quality is what it once was, and our car is slow for what we paid. Look at it this way...I will have the car for 2 to 3 years, have fun spending much less money on real upgrades that actually make power and sell it at a depreciated value just like any other car.

ATRIOT
04-16-2004, 04:34 PM
I like them alot now, the SRT-4 is a great value for the money, but thats about it. When I bought my car it wasnt about speed, so why would it be all about speed now? I've always driven Honda cars and i've always held Honda engineering in the highest regard. Slowly my EP will evolve into a machine which will be faster, handle better and brake quicker than before. Although it will be a slow evolution, it is this journey of tuning, sourcing parts and unravelling the mystery of the k-series engine that will make my Si worth just a little bit more than "a Good value for the money".

DavidT
04-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Yes the SRT-4 is alright, nothing cool. Here's a video of me driving my friend's SRT-4 doing about 20-100.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzU2ODY0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

It's quick but only 6000 RPMs of fun :( They're nice cars, and when he wanted to buy it I told him to opt for the 7yr/70,000 mile warranty because it definantly will be needed :D There's a couple gripes I have about the SRT-4.

1. It's a Neon :D :p
2. Shifter throws are semi-truck long
3. Redlines so low
4. Unproven reliability (Too new to tell)
5. Short redline gets old (Trust me, he bounces that shit like 3-4 times a day.)
6. It's still a Neon :confused: :cool:

It's a neat car and for the price, you can't beat it's performance.

dj addicted
04-16-2004, 04:37 PM
if you want to get the SRT-4 go ahead... just dont call us when you blow a head gasket and they wont warranty it because you were driving it hard.. hehe

all neons... including the SRT-4 are notorious for blown head gaskets

SubliminalSi
04-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Its just a neon till it blows your doors off;)

VBSI
04-16-2004, 04:56 PM
I've been looking for SRT-4 head gasket problems, but I can't seem to find many instances. Do you have any links? And how do you assume I would beat the tar out of it?

dj addicted
04-16-2004, 05:17 PM
I'll see what I can dig up... and Im not saying you will drive it hard... but I do know that turbo cars are definately fun to drive...

civicSIracer
04-16-2004, 05:49 PM
the Si and the srt-4 are 2 very differnt cars. if you wanted a fast car then why did you buy a civic??

sabrownfl
04-16-2004, 05:49 PM
I love my Si, but after all is said and done, it is just a Civic.

And the Spec V is just a Sentra... and the GTI just a Golf.

Yeah, the SRT4 is just a Neon, but I still wouldn't mind one in my garage. Kinda' like the old Omni GLHS.

sabrownfl

513n179
04-16-2004, 05:54 PM
great, you're sick of your SI... if you want something else, go for it... remember, someone's always gonna spank your ass in whatever car you're in. good luck!

Jaws Of Death
04-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by dj addicted
all neons... including the SRT-4 are notorious for blown head gaskets
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0310scc_projneon/
I've never heard of a single SRT-4 blowing a head gasket. That's a very ignorant thing to say, and just makes you seem like you're insecure with your car. Don't be. I've owned both, and they're built for different purposes, and each one acomplishes that well.:cool: To the guy considering a SRT-4, if you go out and buy one, you'll still get dusted by camaro's, corvettes, STI's and some Turbo'd EP's :eek: There's always something out there that's faster than you. But that being said, I love my SRT-4 and have a blast every time I drive it.

EDIT: I was able to find one instance of a blown SRT-4 head gasket (guy busted his oil cooler and car was overheating).

VBSI
04-16-2004, 06:34 PM
I don't remember going in to this with the intention of buying the fastest car on earth. I didn't buy the Si to have a fast car, but I did buy the Si expecting more than I am getting. I like the fact that Mopar stands behind this thing and makes parts that increase performance under warranty and at fair prices. Honda should look into this concept. After upgrading the SRT-4 to Stage 1 or 2, and the LSD that is coming (or maybe out) I would say that you could run pretty good against an STI and have zero trouble with a lot of the cars I see every day.

dj addicted
04-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Jaws Of Death
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0310scc_projneon/
I've never heard of a single SRT-4 blowing a head gasket. That's a very ignorant thing to say, and just makes you seem like you're insecure with your car. Don't be. I've owned both, and they're built for different purposes, and each one acomplishes that well.:cool: To the guy considering a SRT-4, if you go out and buy one, you'll still get dusted by camaro's, corvettes, STI's and some Turbo'd EP's :eek: There's always something out there that's faster than you. But that being said, I love my SRT-4 and have a blast every time I drive it.

EDIT: I was able to find one instance of a blown SRT-4 head gasket (guy busted his oil cooler and car was overheating).

insecure with my car?? fuck you dude... I know EP3 arent fast.. If I wanted a fast car I wouldnt have bought a honda.. all I was saying is that I've heard around here from numerous neon owners and a couple SRT4 owners that head gaskets are the first to go and its always within the warranty period.. If he wants to get an SRT-4 more power to him and I hope he likes it.. I know a couple of people with them and they love it. Nothing bad about them at all.. just giving him a heads up.

Jaws Of Death
04-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by VBSI
I like the fact that Mopar stands behind this thing and makes parts that increase performance under warranty and at fair prices.
This is a common misconception. It is entirely up to the dealer as to whether or not they warranty the Mopar upgrades. Daimler Chrysler specifically says that the Mopar Performance parts come with no warranty whatsoever. However it is not uncommon at all for dealers to warranty customers carss with Mopar upgrades(some want you to buy the parts and/or have them install it for them to warranty your car). You just have to know your dealer. But I do think its badass to see a company supporting a platform like this.

Jaws Of Death
04-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by dj addicted
insecure with my car?? fuck you dude... I know EP3 arent fast.. If I wanted a fast car I wouldnt have bought a honda.. all I was saying is that I've heard around here from numerous neon owners and a couple SRT4 owners that head gaskets are the first to go and its always within the warranty period.. If he wants to get an SRT-4 more power to him and I hope he likes it.. I know a couple of people with them and they love it. Nothing bad about them at all.. just giving him a heads up.

Relax man, I wasn't trying to come down on you. I just hear alot about "Oh, its a domestic, I bet the wheels fall off of it and the engine explodes in 6 months." And that's just rediculous. As far as head gaskets go, the 1st generation neons had a problem with head gaskets, but after that, head gasket failures ceased to be a common problem with neons (and the SRT-4 has a completely different engine anyways). Oh my God...I can't believe I just wrote a post defending neons...I need a drink

Tenacious G
04-16-2004, 06:59 PM
calm down guys.

if you're going to constantly compare your car to others, then yes, it's easy to get disappointed. if you're a glass-is-half-empty kind of person, then yes, by all means, go for another car.

i for one have had no major problems. no tranny grinds (i shift with care ;) ), moderate oil consumption during break in, a few rattles (nothing the radio can't drown out or i haven't fixed myself). overall, i feel i have a solid car. would i have paid $18K-$19K for it? not a chance. i have the EP because i got a great deal on it.

Skunk2ner
04-16-2004, 09:23 PM
SRT-4 is a beast. i love the fact that dodge put out a factory turbo neon... only thing i find wrong with the car is i personally think it's very unattractive. the rear wing and front grill just kill me... all in all, it's a nice machine. each to their own.

BarracksSi
04-16-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by 513n179
great, you're sick of your SI... if you want something else, go for it... remember, someone's always gonna spank your ass in whatever car you're in. good luck!

*ding ding ding*

Correct!

There's always going to be something faster.

chubbychu
04-16-2004, 10:37 PM
hmm...just depends on what u are looking for. if your sick of the si, than trade it, but i for one an daily satisfied with the peformance of my egg. and after i get a k20a2 with boltons and hondata..i wont ever regret getting it. =o)

VBSI
04-17-2004, 03:22 PM
"...sometimes you have to put the pride aside and face some facts."- starflare21 (Mazda Forums)

I like your sig...it illustrates my point exactly. Dollar for dollar, the fact remains the performance difference between these two cars is impossible to ignore.

k20hatch
04-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Ya everyone can buy a car thats fast from the start. I love the civic. I dont if its slow to start with but my god ill build the si to hang with the best.

A situation:

Your racing a wrx in front of MANY people. You pull up to the line. Everyone is like OOOOOOOO SHITTTTTT a WRXXXXX damnnnn! Then you blow the doors off the wrx. Think of that respect.

Ok im done!

snubnose
04-17-2004, 04:58 PM
If you paid $18,000 for the Si, then you're lose about $6,000 trading it in. I don't know about you, but taking $6,000 and just giving it away hurts me.

SIxtasy
04-17-2004, 05:20 PM
YOu know its funny because people talk just as much shit about our cars in other forums. Dood, go drive the SRT4, you will see that its a fucking blast and drive it home. Oh yeah, I'm willing to bet you tha most of the people on here talking shit have never driven one either. As far as reliability - - Check back like 6 months in Sport Compact Car.... They did an article that says that the SRT4 motor is practically indestructable. It talks about how Chrysler couldn't cut corners with the car because they had to rush its brother the PT Turbo to market. If I fit in a SRT4 I'd be rockin one right now. Good luck with your decision. Peace

- Jeffrey

VBSI
04-17-2004, 06:33 PM
I don't remember saying I was trading in my Si. I would most likely sell it private party. I may go upside down some, or I may get an extra bit if the buyer wants my wheels with it. I am going to test drive an SRT-4 next week and see how I feel about the car. The obvious jump in power will not blind me, and I will make sure the rest of the car is just as wanted.

speedking604
04-17-2004, 08:07 PM
go to your bank and get some 3-5 grand loan then drop turbo in your si........trust me, it will be more fun driving a boosted si than driving a boosted neon......and you dont need to worry about your monthly payment coz you wont remeber having a loan by smoking all those neon..........

iR-VTEC2
04-17-2004, 08:22 PM
dude, don't listen to what anyone says but you. If i did...i wouldnt have a 55 thosand dollar suv that sits outside in the rain while my 19K si is garaaaage kept :D Cuz i dont give a shit what people say. If you're not happy, and neon will make you happy FUCK THE WORLD..and get it. But you better stay in this forum you bastard! :p

speedking604
04-17-2004, 08:34 PM
if he doesn't need to listen to us then why is he here and why do you need to reply to him??? does he listen to you???didn't you said """"dont listen to anyone says but you""""???hehehehe

iR-VTEC2
04-17-2004, 08:38 PM
I dont know why and i dont know, and probably not. and yes.

And?

VBSI
04-18-2004, 08:25 AM
I respect the opinions of fellow Si owners, and I wanted some feedback on this decision(if it gets made). I have really thought about dropping in a Cybernation turbo, but I have my doubts about everyday reliability and an instantly voided warranty. Plus, I would be upwards of $23,000 on an Si that I could still only sell for what a bone Si is worth on the street regardless of the upgrades. I remember a post like this when the SRT-4 came out, and I was all over the dude who wanted one.....but I have been watching that car for problems and bad construction and those two things haven't seemed to appear...until I read here:

http://srtforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

There seems to be some intermittent problems that may or may not happen, but I'm not sure I would gamble it.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-18-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm not gonna waste my time reading this thread but I'll just say if you're sick of your car it's nobodys fault but your own and your choice not to modify/improve it.

If you trade your car in on something else, once you factor in the amount of $$ your losing on your car + the depreciation of the new car the minute you drive off the lot....it would be MUUUUUUUUUCH cheaper just to modify your ep to what you think it should be.

VBSI
04-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Well, if you would have wasted your time you would have read that I'm not trading in the car. Everyone that replies to this thread automatically assumes this. How much money do you have in your Si while hitting a 14.77 quarter? I have to imagine that an RSX-S motor, a 6-speed trans, clutch upgrade and whatever else you have done cost one hell of a lot more than what I would put in my Si for the performance level attained. '04 SRT-4's run mid to high 13's bone stock don't they? I still haven't made up my mind, but I may just add a JRSC for some short term satisfaction.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Well, if you would have wasted your time you would have read that I'm not trading in the car. Everyone that replies to this thread automatically assumes this. How much money do you have in your Si while hitting a 14.77 quarter? I have to imagine that an RSX-S motor, a 6-speed trans, clutch upgrade and whatever else you have done cost one hell of a lot more than what I would put in my Si for the performance level attained. '04 SRT-4's run mid to high 13's bone stock don't they? I still haven't made up my mind, but I may just add a JRSC for some short term satisfaction.

Actually I *MADE* money swapping an A2 in my car.
And I run 14.7 w/ a slipping clutch and 3100 lbs car+driver weight.

YooShin
04-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by sabrownfl
I love my Si, but after all is said and done, it is just a Civic.

And the Spec V is just a Sentra... and the GTI just a Golf.

Yeah, the SRT4 is just a Neon, but I still wouldn't mind one in my garage. Kinda' like the old Omni GLHS.

sabrownfl

Thoses Omnis were bad ass. I remember a neighbor of mine had one when I was 13. It seem like it was always running rough and/or broken down. The EP is fun & spirited little car that, yes could use some more power but has tons of potential. Every Si that's ever been made has always been recieve w/ harsh critizism [sp] but as time passes, (usually when Honda changes chasis or "kills" the Si) acceptence starts to grow. I remember the Civic Si folks trying trash me when I had my CRX back in 87. Does anybody know what the body code for that gen civic was? I know my CRX had a 1.5 ltr DOHC. The body molding and seats is what I remember best about that little car. Anyways, wait till Honda kills the Si after this year (as they claim they're going to do) and the EP will be again the import hotrod of choice. You'll be able to pick up a K20a for under grand installed like all the B series folks with their 6gen civs.

cj miller
04-18-2004, 05:36 PM
i dont get it. you wanna a fast car. buy a twin turbo 300zx for 10G's and put 8 more into it and youve got a fast car. 18G's pretty much what an ep cost give or take. when i bought the ep i knew i was buying an ep and it wont be the fastest car on the road. but i have fun with the speed and handling it gives me. so basically dont chase the next best thing for the rest of your life cause theres always something better something faster. Just be happy with what youve got, not what you want.

VBSI
04-18-2004, 08:07 PM
You may be satisfied with the Si and that is great. If I spent my whole life being satisfied with what I have, I wouldn't be anywhere in life at all.

speedking604
04-18-2004, 08:27 PM
you sound like you really want to get a new car again......dude..have you ever heard of aftermarket!!!!!!get turbo and you will be satisfied!!!!! neon suck!!!!! it's no fun car.......when people stare at you driving neon-srt4, sometimes, you dont know if they like your car or just making fun of it.

slc71
04-18-2004, 08:49 PM
If you like it get it. It is all up to what you like what not other people like. I thought about getting a SRT-4 or WRX. My problem is where I live I see a WRX at every stop light I come too. Also the SRT-4 are pretty new and I have seen ten of them around town. How many EP3's have I seen around town??? ONE! I don't want a car that everyone else has. With Honda make short supply of the EP3 it may become a big deal to own one (maybe I am dreaming)! Also the great thing about the EP3, it is a good platform to start with. Tweaking your car is what's it all about.

Still go back to I love my EP3! :D

BarracksSi
04-18-2004, 08:58 PM
In brief:

Shouldn't have bought the Si if you wanted the fastest car on the block.

Get rid of it and buy something else, then. No need to keep whining.

Me? I'm just getting started with mine. It'll never be the fastest car in town (what car is?), but it'll be good.

VBSI
04-18-2004, 09:18 PM
I don't think I'm whining, and I didn't expect the Si to be the fastest car when I bought it, nor do I expect the SRT-4 to be. I went and window shopped one tonight, and the interior is so-so. The seats look pretty cool, but the side supports look a little too thin for me, and I'm not even that wide. My fiance' hates the Neon, and I could hear all of you in a collective voice when she said "Remember my problematic Dodge Stratus? I can't believe you are even considering this stupid car." This thing is so damn fast though, that makes it hard to resist...I am so hesitant to modify my Si in fear of blowing something up or losing Honda reliability that I am willing to go after an already fast turbo car with a 7 year power train warranty. You guys can't tell me that it doesn't make some sense at all? I'm not trying to make enemies here..I still own an Si don't I? If someone lives near Grand Rapids, MI and can show me a boosted Si and give me a test run then maybe I would go down that path, but I have no reference point to go from as of right now.

speedking604
04-18-2004, 09:30 PM
i know what you mean.......my advice is that, take it slowly when it comes to modding your car but trust me trading or selling you car and buying a new car doesn't make any sense "waste of money".if you want faster than the srt-4 or spec v or even s2000, sti,evo stock then get a turbo or supercharger.trust me you will love your car eventhough you spend 3-5 grand it's still worth it plus you dont need to waste money since you've already paying monthly for you civic. everytime i see 10-12 years old car modded, i always wish that i hope i can get to that long coz it's very nice to have car without paying any monthly bill for it beside insurance.i have mine for 2 years now on april 30 and i'm very glad that i'm almost there. 2 more years and i'm paid.............:D :D :D :D :D :D :rolleyes:

CaTiRo
04-18-2004, 09:49 PM
man, thats the stupidest thing, "yeah but no matter what its still a neon." a si is a civic. its true a civic is better than a neon but they are in the same category. honda is going to be much more reliable than a dodge, but EVERYONE has to admit that for the price of a srt4, its a great deal if you are looking for speed. i didn't read everyone's post but i think maybe you should go and test drive one. if you do, you will definately be hook. and for everyone that says "oh its just a neon" go take one for a drive. its definatly much much more than any other neon. and remember the stage 3 is suppose to up horsepower (to the ground) to at least 300. thats pretty good for a factory option.

but if you are looking for reliable fun, then i would just keep the ep and mod it. and if you want something faster you can always get a turbo or supercharger!! i think a 13 sec turbo ep will probably get more respect than a 13 sec srt4.

VBSI
04-19-2004, 12:01 AM
CaTiRo, that is my biggest problem...the SRT-4 does mid 13's to low 14's bone stock for the same money I paid for my Si! It would take over $5000 at least to break into the 13's with my Si, and that fact can't be ignored. I am going to drive an SRT-4 this week, just to know what it feels like. I am still 99% Honda and 1% Dodge coming into this, but once I feel that power.................

SIxtasy
04-19-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by speedking604
neon suck!!!!! it's no fun car.......when people stare at you driving neon-srt4, sometimes, you dont know if they like your car or just making fun of it.

God , I hope you are kidding:rolleyes: . You do realise that we drive Civic's right? I mean seriously man, an SRT4 would rape pretty much ANY car on this board, and damn near everything else on the road. I'm sure anyone that knows anything about cars would laugh at a car capable of that.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

slc71
04-19-2004, 05:54 AM
CaTiRo, that is my biggest problem...the SRT-4 does mid 13's to low 14's bone stock for the same money I paid for my Si!

Don't blame you for feeling that way, but some of us bought our SI for much cheaper than an SRT-4. I only paid 15,000 out the door for mine. With payments of only $280.00 a month I find it hard to choke down a payment of almost $400.00.

VBSI
04-19-2004, 06:26 AM
That was a good deal for $15k out the door! If I could have got a deal like that, I wouldn't feel so bad about dumping in another 2 or 3k. I have been looking at that Greddy kit for the price, but I have seen mixed reviews on the power it puts down.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-19-2004, 02:00 PM
CaTiRo, that is my biggest problem...the SRT-4 does mid 13's to low 14's bone stock for the same money I paid for my Si! It would take over $5000 at least to break into the 13's with my Si, and that fact can't be ignored. I am going to drive an SRT-4 this week, just to know what it feels like. I am still 99% Honda and 1% Dodge coming into this, but once I feel that power.................

Over $5000 to run 13's? uhhhhhhh no.
If all you care about is how long it takes you to accelerate 1320' then go drop $600 on a N2O kit and be happy already.
Or if that warranty is so important, go buy the dodge, just remember you cant modify it...or you'll be in the same boat as w/ the Si.

VBSI
04-19-2004, 02:54 PM
How much would it take to hit 13's? Your car is swapped and it runs high 14.77 with a slipping clutch, but with full engagement would it hit mid-13's? I haven't checked, but over $4500 for a CN turbo and a new clutch for who knows how much......is over $5000 and I would hope these are 13 sec cars.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-19-2004, 03:21 PM
How much would it take to hit 13's? Your car is swapped and it runs high 14.77 with a slipping clutch, but with full engagement would it hit mid-13's? I haven't checked, but over $4500 for a CN turbo and a new clutch for who knows how much......is over $5000 and I would hope these are 13 sec cars.

I swapped in an A2 because I got an unreal deal in which I actually made a profit after selling my A3 on eBay.
And actually 14.7 is a GOOD time for a basically stock A2 (all i have is a $50 intake), considering the ep weighs almost exactly the same as an RSX-S (actually the 04' Si is HEAVIER!)
Most RSX-S guys w/ intake run low 15's - high 14's.
So with a slipping clutch i think im doing alright.

And like I said, if all you care about is running 13's...
Just buy a nitrous kit for under $1000 and you can run 13's...

Yes, if you want to go turbo it will be more expensive, but not over $5000!
GReddy turbo kit is $2300 but probably wont get you 13's without slicks or turning up the boost.
RevHard turbo kit is $3200 and comes with a nice sized turbo, intercooler, injectors, etc just like the Cybernation kit ($3995), either of which will give you easy 13's.

VBSI
04-19-2004, 04:05 PM
I haven't checked on Steve over at K-series, but he would be a good source to ask about hitting 13's. He has put a ton of work into that thing too.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-19-2004, 05:58 PM
I haven't checked on Steve over at K-series, but he would be a good source to ask about hitting 13's. He has put a ton of work into that thing too.

I think he was running 14.1 last I heard.
The RevHard guys seem to be running better times from what i've seen.

dofu
04-19-2004, 06:18 PM
sorry... i4's can never be truly considered fast... quick, but never fast... if you truly want fast, get a v6/i6 turbo at the least...

VBSI
04-20-2004, 06:25 AM
Doesn't the Rev Hard(SFP?) kit require a relocate of the battery? I won't like that too much. For everyday street use, is it possible to even put down the power that these kits can produce? I just visualize my Si spinning in one place.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by dofu
sorry... i4's can never be truly considered fast... quick, but never fast... if you truly want fast, get a v6/i6 turbo at the least...

That was the most vague / stupidest comment i think i've ever seen...

#1.)
Quick = measurement of time
Fast = measurement of speed

#2.) Since when are all "V6/I6 turbo" cars "truly fast"...There are plenty of I4 cars that'll smoke the living shit out of the 6 cylinders, stock vs stock or even modded vs. modded.

Think next time before you start tapping keys.

ntonyazn
04-20-2004, 10:45 AM
no matter how strong the neon is i still think it an ugly piece of shitzzzzz.

VBSI
04-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Not bad for your 11th post....

That JRSC also seems like a possible route, but those haven't been putting down enough power for me without Hondata...and that Hondata is expensive.

dj addicted
04-20-2004, 11:04 AM
I can see some of the reasons why you are looking at the SRT4.

Its great that you can have a car run mid 13s from the factory and it is only a 4cyl with the warranty. The thing is.. most of us here are hobbyists (spelling?) I personally like the fact that not every civic out there runs 13s. What will make your SRT4 different from everyone elses on the street. All of them run mid 13's high 14's. I have no problem paying 5k for a good turbo setup giving up 260 to the front wheels.. and so what if I do get beat by an SRT4. People are still going to say.. damn thats a fast civic...

Anybody can buy a fast car... but not everybody can BUILD a fast car

VBSI
04-20-2004, 01:18 PM
That's a good point. I have had the car over a year and I haven't removed a single screw in the thing yet. I know that when I start modding, I won't stop, so it is almost a plot to save me money.

emosubaru
04-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC

#1.)
Quick = measurement of time
Fast = measurement of speed

just thought it was funny how you chose to point this out...:D

you can't say any particular I4 H4 I6 H6 V6 V8 V10 or V12 engine configuration is better than any other particular config. you just can't. certain engines are better than others and they all use different types of engineering to achieve their different power, reliability, and economic advantages. so... you're both wrong. well, adam isn't wrong, just misleading.

about srt-4s...

sure they're fast and handle exceptionally well for a dodge econobox-

that doesn't make them great. they're much more to a car than hard numbers. if that were true i believe no one would actually be a car enthusiast.

cars are more than the sum of their parts to many people. getting in arguements about it really is pointless.

if you're unhappy with your car, dump her and get a new ride.:eek: :D

Gango
04-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Okay, througout your thread you have been only mentioning how much you like the srt-4 and how the EP is not worth modding. In your last comment you said you never removed a screw, than how would you know what modding a car means. I think that you are a rich kid who just likes to experiment with cars. In that case more power towards you. In the other hand i am not rich and with whatever money i have on the side it goes to my civic, but I am happy, and it makes me happy that I am not the only trying to show my art in one way or the other. If you buy a srt-4 there is not a whole lot that you could mod to it i would assume, but thats why i think everyone in here that drives an EP and is modding it, enjoys the way they are modding their car because it is somewhat in a different way.
When I go through members ride, I dont remember seeing two EP's modded the same way. I know they are not the fastest thing out there, but for me it is a ferrari, because the way which that EP looks or sounds was because of me, and thats the fun part about it.

Now. if I was you I would seriously consider your decision, buy a mod for your car and you will see, you will probably learn to love it too.

VBSI
04-20-2004, 03:16 PM
I never said the EP wasn't worth modding. I am not a rich kid, I am 29 with a $35-$40k a year job. I haven't removed a screw in THIS car, but I am no stranger to mods. I think you need to read a little closer, and try to understand what is going on here. I have decided to research the Greddy turbo and the JRSC. With a little saving, a lot of money hiding from the fiance and favorable research results, I think I will boost the Si.

Jaws Of Death
04-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Gango
If you buy a srt-4 there is not a whole lot that you could mod to it i would assume
And you would be very very very wrong;)

k20hatch
04-20-2004, 03:31 PM
We could just let them enjoy there srt4's and us enjoy our civic si's and leave it at that. ;)

VBSI
04-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Yeah..for $350 at some places, you can upgrade to stage 1 and approach 12's. I'm not sure that $350 stretches that far in Civic land.