PDA

View Full Version : high speed braking (wobble)

amctmg
04-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Any one else notice the car seems to yaw back and forth like the abs in alternating pressure left to right from say 120 on the brakes hard?:confused:

EtherGhost
04-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Warped rotors? I haven't felt that before

Halfloaf
04-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Yeah I've noticed this.
Seems less now I have lower profile tyres so it could be the 60 profile stock tyres. It could also be the EBD. I have noticed the EBD straighten the car up if braking hard in corners. So maybe it also keeps the car straight in err a straight line :)

VividDreams
04-17-2004, 10:08 PM
keep rompin on the brakes at 120 and your rotors will be warped in no time.

i havent had the warpage problem on my EP, theyre much better than in my 01 EX, but, im also not doin 120 and standing on the brakes

very few stock rotors will be able to handle 120-0 stops without wome warpage

amctmg
04-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Its not warpage try it once do a panic stop from 120.!

Well not stop but from 120 stand on em till you get to like 60 or 70
kinda like this (http://home.comcast.net/~amctmg/13.WMV)

!@#$%
04-18-2004, 06:54 AM
i shouldn't have to worry about this. I don't plan on going 120.

K20A3Si
04-18-2004, 02:18 PM
it could be warped rotors like someone said above...bring it to a dealer.

Siman
04-18-2004, 02:30 PM
mine are doing the same thing, after all those 100mph to 65mph stops...they got a little wobbly too...also my 60 profile tires dont help either.:rolleyes:

VividDreams
04-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by !@#$%
i shouldn't have to worry about this. I don't plan on going 120.

agreed!

it could be warped rotors like someone said above...bring it to a dealer.

Dealer will say that youre too hard on the brakes and will refuse to do anything.

also my 60 profile tires dont help either.

what does that have anything to do with it?

amctmg
04-18-2004, 09:03 PM
I've been a mechanic for almost 10 years (I know warped rotors) and that is not what I'm talking about.

You must try it to understand 120 to 60 as hard as you can.

Who knows maybe its just my car.?

Also anyone else have a weak ebrake, and don't say adjust it because I've done that but the effort needed to slow the car with the e-brake it very high in my opinion

idrive
04-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by amctmg
Also anyone else have a weak ebrake, and don't say adjust it because I've done that but the effort needed to slow the car with the e-brake it very high in my opinion

yes- ep does seem to have fairly weak ebrakes compared to other cars
BUT DONT slow the car down with the ebrake! (aka PARKING brake) thats an accident waiting to happen... EVEN at low speeds. use your BRAKES (not to bag on ya) but thats why they're there...

chubbychu
04-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by idrive
yes- ep does seem to have fairly weak ebrakes compared to other cars
BUT DONT slow the car down with the ebrake! (aka PARKING brake) thats an accident waiting to happen... EVEN at low speeds. use your BRAKES (not to bag on ya) but thats why they're there...

i use the ebrake for quick evacuations from the car. as soon as im coming into the parking space or drive way (maybe only 1-2 mph) i yank it up pull the key out, unclip the seatbelt and hop out while the car is coming to a complete stop.

4g63dsm
04-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by amctmg
I've been a mechanic for almost 10 years (I know warped rotors) and that is not what I'm talking about.

You must try it to understand 120 to 60 as hard as you can.

Who knows maybe its just my car.?

Also anyone else have a weak ebrake, and don't say adjust it because I've done that but the effort needed to slow the car with the e-brake it very high in my opinion ya my car does the same thing, i was thinking it was warped rotors.

amctmg
04-18-2004, 11:48 PM
An indication of warped rotors would be pulsation in brake pedal and or steering wheel.

I'll try to explain it a little more . O.K. your on the brakes very hard to the point where it feels like your back tires are about to lift and the abs seems to alternate a high brake pressure from side to side making the rear of the car feel like its going side to side.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their journey through life.

Thank you

Halfloaf
04-19-2004, 12:25 AM
I would definately say it is the EBD you are fealing.
The EBD will keep the car going straight when the road surface wants to amke the car yaw. If we try to keep it staright by slight movements of the wheel as we brake it could result in an overcompensation.

amctmg
04-19-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Halfloaf
I would definately say it is the EBD you are fealing.
The EBD will keep the car going straight when the road surface wants to amke the car yaw. If we try to keep it staright by slight movements of the wheel as we brake it could result in an overcompensation.

that makes sense, ALOT of sense. Thank you for the info :D

I kinda wish it wouldn't do that though, it is an uneasy feeling:eek:

tony speed
04-19-2004, 11:14 AM
what is EBD?

Si-Sissy-PA
04-19-2004, 11:31 AM
(Electronic Brake Distribution) automatically distributes braking forces between the front and rear axles (even if you still have traction)

It's sort of like hydraulic proportioning valves if you are familiar with them. It's basically triggered by changes in yaw - and ultimately it helps to keep the car from spinning out of control. This works in conjunction with the ABS -- and especially when you get both systems going at the same time, you are going to experience a funky feeling in the pedal.

cpu519
04-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Maybe the side to side yawing is bump steer. Is your car lowered? The tie rods on lowered EPs are angled, that causes the wheels to change toe when the suspension is compressed. I've noticed it also when hard braking.

chakra71
04-20-2004, 08:45 PM
I've felt the fish-tail feeling in hard-core braking before. Some of it has been that i've had to 'stomp and steer' a couple of times, and the ABS and EBD kept the car from doing things that I (and the idiots stopped in front of me) would rather it not do.

The comment about the toe and lowering is a very good point. I could easily see how the extra suspension compression would bring the toe in and cause the car to try to dart in a couple of directions at once. Honestly, in the situations where I've experienced this I was in no way able to fully explore what was happening.

Someone with the Mugen Sport Suspension needs to chime in! (or give me a month and I'll report back) :cool: