PDA

View Full Version : suspension

slicksilver
04-17-2004, 03:02 PM
wuts up all, been viewing the site for a few months, have a question about suspension. im trying to put some 17's on my ep and want to drop it about a 1.5". i've been looking around viewing the suspension threads and such. I'm having a problem with figuring the difference between the springs, coilovers, rear cambers and such...can anyone give me a good thread or site to go to, or just some feedback. thanks guys!

Peking
04-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by slicksilver
wuts up all, been viewing the site for a few months, have a question about suspension. im trying to put some 17's on my ep and want to drop it about a 1.5". i've been looking around viewing the suspension threads and such. I'm having a problem with figuring the difference between the springs, coilovers, rear cambers and such...can anyone give me a good thread or site to go to, or just some feedback. thanks guys!

Moved to suspension and you will be fine with that drop. I would say to save your cash and get a full coil-over kit, yet springs would save you a bunch of cash. At that height, really no need for camber adjustment if you reg. rotate and balance tires. But if you want to anyway get a prof. alignment place to do it for you, after you buy the rear camber/full camber kit.

BarracksSi
04-17-2004, 04:00 PM
From what I've been reading --

If you just want a drop, don't want to spend a load of cash, and don't care about the longevity of your stock shocks, go for springs. If you're looking for something more long-term, get coilovers or a full replacement.

I'm getting Mugen myself. I don't need, or know how to take advantage of, adjustable coilover sets, and I trust that it's well-built. I didn't want to waste time, money, & effort getting springs just to replace them (or replace the OEM shocks!) later on. The Mugen setup drops the car about 1.5 inches as well.

Tenacious G
04-17-2004, 04:03 PM
camber = how perpendicular your wheels are to the ground. when you drop a car, the wheels tend to sag in (called negative camber, ex: /---\ ) this causes the insider of your tires to wear much quicker, which is very unsafe.

a camber kit will help correct that and get you back to 0* camber. ( ex: |---| )

hmmm ... a 1.5" drop is borderline as far as needing a camber kit. i'd get one if i were you to be on the safe side and get an alignment done after you drop your car.

slicksilver
04-17-2004, 05:46 PM
thanks for the feedback guys:)...

yea im prob gonna go for coilovers, just so i don't have to mess with the suspension on the longrun. anyone got feedback or suggestions on any specific brands they used or liked?

Tenacious G
04-17-2004, 05:54 PM
depends on what you plan on doing with the car. coilovers range from $800 - $2,000. do you want adjustable or non-adjustable? stiff spring rates or something closer to stock? auto-x or just spirited daily driving?